E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

umnitza m-tech fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011 | 05:12 PM
Members

okay.

So I ordered, received(LCI version of the bumper), and now it`s @ the shop being installed

The side skirts fitted fine and it's done.

however the front bumper isn't doing so well.

The bumper fitted fine during test fit and there did not seem to be a problem.

After the bumper was finished painting and assembly is the current step, problems start to flood in.

Note* I will attach pictures for reference.

At first, the centre airduct comes in the way with the lower grill, hindering bumper from fitting.

It certainly appears that the bumper is designed around a totally different re bar.
If you look at the mounts, they are nowhere close to lining up, perhaps the center mounts can be drilled and faced forward, but the sides are way off.

The OEM bumper simply lays into place, put in on 3x this morning, where the Mtech is fighting to sit properly. Initially I put it on without any trim in it, and it fit OK but not great.

Any advice is appreciated!!!!
Attached Thumbnails umnitza m-tech fitment issues-img_3080.jpg   umnitza m-tech fitment issues-img_3082.jpg   umnitza m-tech fitment issues-img_3083.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011 | 05:17 PM
Members

Here is a picture showing the center air duct sticking out into the "hole" where the lower grill should be in place
Attached Thumbnails umnitza m-tech fitment issues-img_2981.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011 | 02:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I think the answer is the different mounting brackets and different air duct that come along the OEM mtech kit. I believe the Ümnnitza kit is pretty close to the OEM mtech kit, and then it requires different center mounting brackets and the air duct. Or then you can mod the existing ones and make it fit.

Take a look at this: OEM mtech installing instructions

- Antti -
Old 11-01-2011 | 02:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had similar problems recently with my M5Mtech front and Mtech rear. The front actually required me to remove quite a bit of material on the wings so they would snap in. It was VERY tight under the center front where the two vertical screws go. Larger gap under right headlight. Weak snap fit on rear wings and original large screws (2 either side) seem to be a little short and one of the internal thread locks is missing! Rockers were ok just a tad bit short. Over all I'm ok with some of these issues but hope I can improve them with some additional adjustments. The sad part when I called them to ask a simple question of do I need to install the rear diffuser before or after the main bumper install and they had no idea. Their response was we only sell bumpers, we don't install them... WTF! One would think that you would at least provide some basic instructions and which area need to be trimmed and cut away so that your replica kits properly fit.

If your BS hasn't started painting, better you advise them to verify proper adhesion and quality of the gray primer that I see on your bumper...!!! Mine was sprayed with a material that was cheaper than and spray can you can imagine. When I simply wiped it down with Prepsol a pre-clean before painting the primer lifted and began to was away! The rear bumper primer material was flaking off in spots and IF I had painted over either of these parts before removing this material it would have been a huge mess. I am sure the paint would have flew off the car as I drive down the road... I'll be posting a more detailed report about this in the next days.
Old 11-01-2011 | 03:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I think the answer is the different mounting brackets and different air duct that come along the OEM mtech kit. I believe the Ümnnitza kit is pretty close to the OEM mtech kit, and then it requires different center mounting brackets and the air duct. Or then you can mod the existing ones and make it fit.

Take a look at this: OEM mtech installing instructions

- Antti -
Thank you for your advice

It seems like the foam cushion is the culprit behind all this fitment problem, it seems like the foam cushion which wraps in front of the true bumper isn't sitting flush against the m-tech bumper..

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I had similar problems recently with my M5Mtech front and Mtech rear. The front actually required me to remove quite a bit of material on the wings so they would snap in. It was VERY tight under the center front where the two vertical screws go. Larger gap under right headlight. Weak snap fit on rear wings and original large screws (2 either side) seem to be a little short and one of the internal thread locks is missing! Rockers were ok just a tad bit short. Over all I'm ok with some of these issues but hope I can improve them with some additional adjustments. The sad part when I called them to ask a simple question of do I need to install the rear diffuser before or after the main bumper install and they had no idea. Their response was we only sell bumpers, we don't install them... WTF! One would think that you would at least provide some basic instructions and which area need to be trimmed and cut away so that your replica kits properly fit.

If your BS hasn't started painting, better you advise them to verify proper adhesion and quality of the gray primer that I see on your bumper...!!! Mine was sprayed with a material that was cheaper than and spray can you can imagine. When I simply wiped it down with Prepsol a pre-clean before painting the primer lifted and began to was away! The rear bumper primer material was flaking off in spots and IF I had painted over either of these parts before removing this material it would have been a huge mess. I am sure the paint would have flew off the car as I drive down the road... I'll be posting a more detailed report about this in the next days.
Yes.. once it's sold, business is done.. =/ hate to say that but thats the way it is..

Thanks for your advice, I actually had the guy re-prime / re-prep everything before painting(as he also thought that the original primer isn't so great).

The problem for me is that the foam cushion isn't fitting the m-tech bumper.

in the picture, it was on without the trims, but after lower center grill is mounted, the foam cushion comes in the way.

My shop started to trim on 1 side of the foam and it seems like it's giving less interference.
Old 11-01-2011 | 05:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I installed mine myself. You need to get oem mtech air duck and center brackets. I ordered air ducts from ESC tuning. You can modify the square stock ones and secure them with zip ties but I think it better to get the right ones. You also need to cut the wheel liner little bit and might need some 1or 2mm washers to eliminate a gap between the hood and bumper. I am not using the center brackets at all and the bumper seams very secure to me without them
Old 11-01-2011 | 12:39 PM
Senior Members

when i got my m5tech kit from Umnitza my body shop did a test fit and it was really close to OEM fit. before painting they did some minor prep work and then they painted and put it right on with no problems. however what did happen at my shop was that while they were prepping they left it on those stands like saw horses and it warped a small section of the bottom part of my kit however it wasnt a problem cuzz i used a heat gun and the kit went right back into place. perhaps thats what happened to you?
Old 11-01-2011 | 12:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Margal
I installed mine myself. You need to get oem mtech air duck and center brackets. I ordered air ducts from ESC tuning. You can modify the square stock ones and secure them with zip ties but I think it better to get the right ones. You also need to cut the wheel liner little bit and might need some 1or 2mm washers to eliminate a gap between the hood and bumper. I am not using the center brackets at all and the bumper seams very secure to me without them
I am aware that the stock ones are square and M-tech airducts are triangular.

but is it okay to not install the airducts at all?
Old 11-01-2011 | 02:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I think the reason why the brake ducks are there is to direct cold air to brake caliper and rotor to keep them cool. I do not know what happens if you do use them. probably you will overheat you brakes in hot weather? but if you do not want to spend more money than you can zip tie the the old ducks there so better than nothing .
Old 11-01-2011 | 02:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Margal
I think the reason why the brake ducks are there is to direct cold air to brake caliper and rotor to keep them cool. I do not know what happens if you do use them. probably you will overheat you brakes in hot weather? but if you do not want to spend more money than you can zip tie the the old ducks there so better than nothing .
Lots of people just leave the ducts out all together, I doubt the brakes will overheat. Personaly I went OEM MTECH with all the little bits and pieces and it turned out flawless plus I can use aftermarket front lips

Quick Reply: umnitza m-tech fitment issues