E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tv on Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum and I had skimmed through all of the mods in this section which people were trying to do, looking for some information on being able to view television on my I drive screen.

Well A couple weeks ago I had found by searching google many many companies that acutally make devices which will accept incomming a/v signals and play them through the car.

I noticed that all I was able to find were ones that would interface with the NAV system and not just a regular 5 without NAV. I found a place close and called them. I called a dealer located in Boca Raton (Im in Miami, FL) and The Man said that he has a peice of hardware that just plugs in and it allows any A/V source to be displayed on the Idrive with or without NAV but he was out of stock. Then he asks me where I am (zip code) and tells me that Cartronix (a local stereo shop that I have ad work done at before over the years) is the one who installs them.

I asked him if it would void the warrany and he said that you can take it out very easily before you take your car in. He didnt really say whether it would, but Im assuming that the dealership wouldnt like this type of activity. Which then it gets taken out!.

Now the big question. How much was it, He said it was between $700.00 and $800.00 not installed. I cant imagine that its a very complicated project. From what I can tell it plugs into the back and you have to remove the BMW assist (I think).

Get a load of this, He then says that in the beginning of next year (05) that there will be a computer that can be interfaced with the Idrive which will be built on Windows and have an interface on top that you can check your email via a sprintpcs pcmcia card that is built into the device that they sell. He says its in develeopment and is comming out for sure. There were other things that can be done with the computer but I dont remember. He said that this will run at almost $1800-$2000.

I dont know if anyone has heard of this stuff or if its old news, like I said I searched, and went through the whole Mod area in the forum and didnt see anything of the likes.

The website is www.tv-nav.com, I simply found them by searching on google. You may not see the new 5 series (e60) on their site but the guy said that they needed to update their website and that he does carry the module.

Bradone1
05 530i Sp,Prem,Oriental Blue, 253 Miles on the b*tch!
Old 12-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Did you use the search function or did you just poke around randomly?

If you search a bit more, you'll find many topic on these subjects. You'll even find a thread where someone already has Windows XP running on his iDrive screen.

Hate to be a tease but welcome to the forum and happy searching!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I did, but everytime I tried using the word 'tv' I would get an error. I tried tv on nav, tv, television on nav, ect..

Sorry about that.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This link should give you some info on the navwithtv option...

And this one will show you some pictures of TurboDMan's computer installation using the navwithtv adapter...