E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

tuning boxes

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all

I'm new to this forum & I'm finding the level if information here really interesting reading.

I own a M-sport 525d E60 (the 2.5 ltr) with 14,000 or so miles & I've got to say I love it. It's by & large got plenty of shove, great mpg for a big motor, etc. BUT I couldn't help noticing these tuning boxes, plug & play, offering 30% increases. I've been trawlling around to find out as much as possible & it seems to be a mine field of opinion & products & no one seems to be saying 'It knackered my engine, don't do it!'.

The car was about top of the budget at the time so I comprimised engine size for spec. I'm not complaining at all - it's got plenty for a some good fun on our crowded roads & it's a lovely thing indeed but if one of these boxes can give me some extra shove then why not?

And that's my question to the forum - why not - Why wouldn't I fit one of these boxes? Is there any nasty suprises to be found? do they bugger the fueling system up after a time? will they cause smoking? can you run them for the hundreds of thousand of miles that a well maintained motor will do? & who's got the best product to fit.........Re-mapping's not for me as the cars carrying 2 years warranty & will be dealer seviced so it will need to be removeable

Diesel tweeking is a new thing to me & the car ain't cheap so I would value some opinion from you so I can make an informed decision

Kind regards