E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tuned 535d Quad exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535d Fully loaded

I know that it is not a V8 but IF you had a diesel BMW would you consider moding the exhaust?

I found this but i?m not sure that i like!

Wish i still had my V8! It would be easier! But i miss the modded sound of an ehaust!
And i was considering on doing something to my car!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Sounds like crap.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

I?m inclined to think the same!

But i used to have an Audi Allroad with the exhaust system free from all resonators and it did not sound like that!

Do you think that the sound from this 535d is the best that we can get from a modified exhaust on this car?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

It sounds pretty stock but it might just be the video.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Originally Posted by GQuK545i' post='564194' date='Apr 19 2008, 05:27 PM
It sounds pretty stock but it might just be the video.
Stationary it sounds like a tractor. Too bad.....

Better spend your money on other mods (IMO)
Old 04-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='564198' date='Apr 19 2008, 04:33 PM
Better spend your money on other mods (IMO)
+1

If he wants the Quad, he should find a solution only aestetical (spending a few money too) .
Old 04-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

well iwas not really after the quad exhaust, but more of upgrading the sound of my car?s exhaust!

but if this is the best it gets...well, no way i?m going to do it!!!!

stupid diesel cars...
Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Well...it does sound like crap and many if not all the exhuasts on the market will NOT change the sound too much (aka crappy diesel) BUT there is something that i started to see:

When i drive the car real hard (i mean really really hard) the exhaust must heat up really good and the whole exhaust note changes to a deep rumble like a deep V8. This happened only when the particle filter kicks in and overheats the whole exhaust to process the wastes, and i don't know even now why it does that cuz i would like the exhaust to sound like that all the time. I mean it really is noticeable and if i go through a tunnel it really sounds bad but only at the touch of the accelerator.

The strange thing is that when the exhaust changes its note i cannot reproduce it standing still cuz it does the sound only in gear. If i shift it to N it doesn't do anything, it's normal, when i put it into D or R it shows up.

Now the real question kicks in (slightly off topic) is why it does so only in gear? And why only when it hots up really good (either hard driving or particle filter auto clean-up)?!

If i would have a way to record the sound i would do it but how? Cuz i have to do it while driving and that would mean to have the camera right near the exhaust. I will try to record it from the inside although it is for sure not the same, and trust me it's really loud (compared to the stock crappy sound), it almost judders the car at low revs, driving at low speeds the slightest touch of the gas pedal makes the car come alive and vibrates even. The bad thing is that if you want to hear it you have to drive the bees out of it, like "smelling the hot exhaust and rubber" driving it.

PS: Maybe someone can explain why it does so only at high operating temperatures.
PSS: Other than those moments it's money wasted only on looks.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Hellraiser' post='564268
When i drive the car real hard (i mean really really hard) the exhaust must heat up really good and the whole exhaust note changes to a deep rumble like a deep V8.
It's funny that many 535d owners say the 3.0d sounds like a V8 . Very funny .
Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='564276' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:43 PM

It's funny that many 535d owners say the 3.0d sounds like a V8 . Very funny .
PFOAHAHA the kid inside you must really be a poor kid

Quick Reply: Tuned 535d Quad exhaust