E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by west
Unsure why they painted it. Perhaps its standard to paint the piping if it's not stainless?...I dunno...
You paint to extend the life of the pipes from usual rusting if unpainted. Unless you can do a run with a stock and see at least a car's lengh gain, I think -+11 HP gain from a dyno is trivial. On the other hand, it looks great, and for sure, the sound is great too. Do you get any droning at 1700-2000 rpm or when you are tugging the engine?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
You paint to extend the life of the pipes from usual rusting if unpainted. Unless you can do a run with a stock and see at least a car's lengh gain, I think -+11 HP gain from a dyno is trivial. On the other hand, it looks great, and for sure, the sound is great too. Do you get any droning at 1700-2000 rpm or when you are tugging the engine?
There is a small window of rpm's where it seems like the exhaust tone resonates, and it probably happens somewhere around the rpm range you described. You can hear it if you turn off the music, and/or if you listen for it.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

West, hey buddy we need to hear this thing!!!!!

Call me crazy but I found this clip and I actually like how aggressive it sounds, only problem is its probably loud in the cabin

Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530I

Hey I know where that area is, it's by where I live at. I am planning to get my dual exhaust there also, that does sound nice wonder what kind of exhaust is that.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

I sent them an email but haven't got a reply. If you have a chance and talk to them I'd like to know that setup as well.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by socale39
West, hey buddy we need to hear this thing!!!!!

Call me crazy but I found this clip and I actually like how aggressive it sounds, only problem is its probably loud in the cabin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNwlr...eature=related
Yo Socale39. I'll drop my buddy a line and see if I can borrow his camera. I'll aim to take a video tomorrow.

Haha, yeah, that clip sounds pretty beefy.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

OK socale39, a couple friends of mine agreed to record, then edit a sound clip so here you go:

The first two clips record the vehicle going from 5-7mph up to 25mph, then three clips in order as follows: an engine start, then two engine revs. Hope this helps gauge the sound of the magnaflow muffler system. Its still funny to hear how loud the thing gets at WOT.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

Sounds good west! Aggressive yet subtle enough for driving around town. I think I'm going to go with the same setup but I'm planning to have the exhaust shop install flanges so if I want to change things up it should be fairly simple. Before I can tackle this project I gotta get my 19x10 rears though.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by socale39
Sounds good west! Aggressive yet subtle enough for driving around town. I think I'm going to go with the same setup but I'm planning to have the exhaust shop install flanges so if I want to change things up it should be fairly simple. Before I can tackle this project I gotta get my 19x10 rears though.
Yeah, it's pretty subtle driving around town and doesn't attract too much attention. Let me know if you have questions on parts. Flanges seems like a good idea. I probably should have had flanges installed but didn't think about that at the time. The only flanges on my car are the ones where the exhaust connects up to the exhaust manifold. Basically the whole thing can be removed and plugged into the factory exhaust manifold flanges on another 550. It's kind of cool how the entire exhaust can be unbolted like that, imo. Get those 19x10's! Next performance type mods for me are the homemade dual duct intake (sometime in the next couple weeks), then a Quaife LSD.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

Nice! An LSD would be awesome. I'm hoping to have my wheels by the end of this month which means next month I can do the exhaust. Keep us updated with your mods!

Quick Reply: The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.