E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Trunk sub advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

i have 2 10s at 600 watts rms each. it hit hard. it would hit harder if the seat did fold down. cut out the ski hole area and a few holes underneath the rear deck. right thru the sheet metal. thatll vent the trunk and allow the bass to flow into the car. if u dont do it the bass will sound like ur lisening to your neighbors bass through your walls. some people port there box directy thru the rear deck into the car but a custom box and port set up would ahve to be made. my system is just layin in the trunk right now kinda ghetto but it sound pretty sweet.

1st pic was when i had the system lookn decent but it sound weak as shit because i didnt vent the trunk,
2nd pic is vented with a ported box. i need a bigger ported box and need to make it look like something, but im in no rush on that
Attached Thumbnails Trunk sub advice-137.jpg   Trunk sub advice-002.jpg   Trunk sub advice-006.jpg   Trunk sub advice-001.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

Ok wow that's a relief, I guess everyone elses threads I read about the baas not getting threw must have been running a weak ass system, I'm even more stoked to get my system in now, but still waiting on a reply from technic on his adapter plug and play kit he sells.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by guysk8r1717
Ok wow that's a relief, I guess everyone elses threads I read about the baas not getting threw must have been running a weak ass system, I'm even more stoked to get my system in now, but still waiting on a reply from technic on his adapter plug and play kit he sells.
Theres plenty of bass that gets through it just overloads your rear passengers ears. I suggest getting an amp that allows for a bass knob so you can control it up front.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Originally Posted by bens1088
Theres plenty of bass that gets through it just overloads your rear passengers ears. I suggest getting an amp that allows for a bass knob so you can control it up front.

if you havent changed the rear deck speakers to aftermarket ones a simple solution is correct tuning so that the rear passengers can stil hear the highs and are not overloaded with bass. I have the fader to plus 2 clicks to the rear and the treble to plus three clicks on the factory head unit (this helps balance the bass and the highs for the rear passengers without effecting the front seat riders too much. I have sat back there myself and seems to be a good match for overall cabin sound.

As a side note i think ported boxes are the way to go to get the most sound into the cabin IMO i have mine setting on amp and bass knob set no where near the max and its still very loud and gives me plenty of room to maneuver the sound
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Members

Interesting find on this thread as I'm running into similar trouble. I have a JL 500/1 pushing a single 12" ARC sub. When I had this laying in the open of my Suburban it was super clean, gain was set low with a bass knob in my dash to allow me to change given a song or mood. This same setup is now in the 545i and is muffled. It's not that bass isn't getting into the cabin, because it is, it's just not clean and smooth like I'm used to. I tease that it sounds like my ghetto neighbor is listening to the same thing as me with a lot of bass... sounds like it is coming from outside the car.

I want to keep the gain somewhat low... I'm not looking for a bunch of boomy sound, I want clear "I'm at the concert" bass that is as responsive down low as it is at higher volume. I know this setup will accomplish that because it was doing just that a month ago in my Suburban, I just need to figure out how to get the speaker to fire into the cabin to improve quality. I'm debating cutting a hole for the ski pass through or through the deck where the rear speakers sit. Hmmmm. I sure wish I could see what others have done or how they are porting into the car.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Cutting a hole through a backseat is the key, like inktoxicated already stated.

This is what I did:

- Antti & Flat Eric -
Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Is there any other way to put a enclosure in a better spot? So your not losing all the trunk space? I know you can remove spare tire but I wonder about the left or right side in the front of the trunk.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Here's my setup, still need to finish the cosmetics:

Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

fold down rear seat. u lucky soab
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Members

Here's what my setup looks like. I lost very little trunk space.

Trunk sub advice-bmw-550i-radio-install30.jpg

You could also go with something like either of these, If I remember correctly, the top is Bassforms and the bottom is JL Audio.

Trunk sub advice-trunk-box-1.jpg
Trunk sub advice-trunk-box-2.jpg

Quick Reply: Trunk sub advice