E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

True or False Statments About Aux Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007 | 07:00 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 manual M5 Black/Black/Tinted, HUD, Heated Rear Seats, Logic 7, iPod interface

'04 545i with Logic 7 build 02/04. I was told by my dealer that if I wanted a retrofit aux input, I will only get monaural sound. True or False? Please explain. Thank you
(They quoted about $700 for the i-pod interface).
Old 04-30-2007 | 07:26 PM
Senior Members

I would say false. I would also say the dealer was trying to sell the more expensive iPod interface.

However, you should shop this around. You may find the iPod interface for a less expensive price and it is a much better addition to the car than the Aux in.
Old 05-01-2007 | 12:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I?m also thinking of getting the aux-input retrofit installed and I have Logic 7 installed too. It would be a really shame if it worked only mono.
Hoping that?s not true. I haven?t asked my dealer about it yet but I?m going to do it tomorrow. It?s a holiday today here in Finland. I?ll let you know then...
Old 05-01-2007 | 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The AUX Input is a stereo input. Your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about.

The AUX does suffer from some limitations when compared to the iPod interface, but monaural sound is not one of them. With the AUX, there is typically a lot of electrical noise introduced from the poorly grounded electrical system in BMWs. This is called alternator whine, and if you use a cigarette adapter charger you are going to have it. With the iPod interface, people have reported that alternator whine is eliminated. The AUX Input also has a resistor in-line which suppresses the signal before it reaches the amplifiers. This acts as a peak output limiting device, which reduces overall loudness. The intention is to protect the speakers from damage as a result of overdriving with clipped signals. But if you use the fixed line output from the iPod, the resistor is not necessary. Many of us on this board have performed a simple modification to the AUX Input wire to remove this resistor.
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='419738' date='May 1 2007, 11:01 AM
Many of us on this board have performed a simple modification to the AUX Input wire to remove this resistor.
Please ,tell me what that mod is ! I asked about the low volume from AUX on another forum but got no replies that helped. Hope it's easy to do without making a mess of the car !
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='419738' date='May 1 2007, 07:01 AM
The AUX Input is a stereo input. Your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about.

The AUX Input also has a resistor in-line which suppresses the signal before it reaches the amplifiers. This acts as a peak output limiting device, which reduces overall loudness. The intention is to protect the speakers from damage as a result of overdriving with clipped signals.
Right. Just don't make the mistake of playing anything through the AUX input at a normal level, and then switching to FM without dropping the volume! I had a loaner 328xi for some service and it had a simple control for boosting or lowering the AUX input. I think the MSRP on that fine little car was about $15K less than my E60.
Old 05-02-2007 | 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Ok I asked the local dealer (Location: Finland) about the aux-in retrofit and it sure is stereo. They?re charging approx. 150? installing it.
Now I?m much more interested in taking the iPod interface retrofitted. About 400? installed. Hmmm....
But I have to get iPod then
Old 05-02-2007 | 10:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='420317' date='May 2 2007, 02:35 PM
Ok I asked the local dealer (Location: Finland) about the aux-in retrofit and it sure is stereo. They?re charging approx. 150? installing it.
Now I?m much more interested in taking the iPod interface retrofitted. About 400? installed. Hmmm....
But I have to get iPod then
It's worth it!
Old 05-02-2007 | 01:26 PM
Banned

Wow this is news to me-did they change that on hte 07's? My aux input is like 3 times louder than radio or cd here in the US. It is pretty good sound I thought. I do not have the logic 7. Things are all relative of course-good sound to me considering I have never owned a car with an awesome sound system so maybe my stock sound does not bring out all the fuzz that the logic 7 does but it is definetly louder