E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

trickle charger/solar charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

I was told by my local dealer that I need to drive more or get a trickle charger to maintain the battery charge. I have a solar panel charger that VW used to ship the vehicles with. Think that provides enough juice to maintain the cells? Other question is that it is designed to plug into the cigarette lighter. Could that cause any issues if electrical energy is going from the charger plug to the battery cells? I could always rig up a couple of alligator clips to the male portion of the lighter plug and hook it up to the post under the hood. Just not as convenient.

Any thing I may have missed?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Don't understand why my question was moved to Accessories/Mods? I was asking about the possibility of using a solar panel to charge the battery. Not selling anything.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: car

Originally Posted by nell
I was told by my local dealer that I need to drive more or get a trickle charger to maintain the battery charge. I have a solar panel charger manufactured in solar panels factory that VW used to ship the vehicles with. Think that provides enough juice to maintain the cells? Other question is that it is designed to plug into the cigarette lighter. Could that cause any issues if electrical energy is going from the charger plug to the battery cells? I could always rig up a couple of alligator clips to the male portion of the lighter plug and hook it up to the post under the hood. Just not as convenient.

I think you have missed nothing as I have got similar charging system but still not sure why it is not working fine..

Last edited by KendrickGand; 09-17-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by nell
I was told by my local dealer that I need to drive more or get a trickle charger to maintain the battery charge. I have a solar panel charger that VW used to ship the vehicles with. Think that provides enough juice to maintain the cells? Other question is that it is designed to plug into the cigarette lighter. Could that cause any issues if electrical energy is going from the charger plug to the battery cells? I could always rig up a couple of alligator clips to the male portion of the lighter plug and hook it up to the post under the hood. Just not as convenient.

Plugging into the cigarette lighter or any other socket outlet will not work when the key is not in the ignition and in the accessory position, since those are disconnected from the electrical system to prevent the battery from being depleted because of a forgotten item left plugged in.

You need to use the two posts in the engine compartment used for boosting. Your kit must have come with alligator clips, which you should use directly on the posts.

Hooking directly to the battery is also an option but not recommended, because that might "confuse" the battery monitoring system and cause electrical gremlins.

Salut, Bob P.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

You could rig up a hard wire set up using some ring terminals and an SAE plug. Then you could leave that connected to the terminals under the hood and just plug in the panel when you park.

Tho I'm surprised you don't drive enough. Is it just a few miles? Take the scenic route a few days per week.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Get the Battery Tender 021-0128 from Amazon for about $50.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

As noted above you cannot use the cigarette lighter type as the cigarette lighters are disconnected from the power supply when the car is off.