E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

toyo proxes T1r or Michelin Pilot sport ps2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by newbiebimmer' post='675110' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:55 AM
So I took in my 550 to the dealer, and he says that my rear right tire has a sidewall bulge and I should replace the tire ASAP.
Is the bulge inside or outside? If outside, I'd say the tire is defective and should be replaced (pro-rated) by the manufacturer!!! If inside, it's caused by the amount a negative camber built into our cars.

Regarding tires, I went through 1 and half sets (replaced the backs twice) of the Toyo's. Got over 49K miles out of the fronts but the rears wore the insides out within 25-30K miles eventhought the outsides still looked great. I really liked the Toyo's and never had any problems in the rain but opted for cheap and cheerful when at 50K (warranty up) I wasn't sure if I would trade in the car for something else. Eventhough, now I can see the Toyo's run on the narrow side, I would still recommend them for the value!

Edit: HEY this was my 1000th POST!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP Vert

I'd go for the T1Rs, very good tire in my opinion, and a great price also. As already mentioned the PS2s are, in most cases, "too much tire for most" you pay the price of your first born and you only daily drive on it, no point.

Toyo is coming out with a new tire soon, so be on the look out.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Why is everyone ignoring the Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric it only costs a little more than the Toyo and is the best performing premium tyre. The toyo is a very good tyre but at the end of the day it is a budget tyre like the falken FK452. Its not like theres alot to be saved by fitting Falkens or Toyos rather than the Goodyears and they arent exactly cheap cars everyone is driving.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='675479' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:27 PM
Maybe you should try General Exclaims. $600 for 4 at TireRack (with shipping).
They seem to do just fine. They are quiet and have good traction in wet and dry conditions. Many of us have them with no complaints. TireRack often runs low on inventories on the 275 size, so you always need to check.

You should not have your installation work done at Cosco (although I am sure that you were just talking about the purchase price). You need to have a Hunter 9700 Road Force machine for the balancing with #166s.

Didn't know about the Hunter 9700 Road Force machine.. hmm thanks for the tip. I'm actually more concerned with them removing the tire and damaging the lip of the rims. I've had some of my rims mobile repaired from curb rash, and so on some parts, the lips are filled with putty, painted (you can't tell looking). so i'm concerned they will create an indentation.

Do you know if you can take rims off without running a wedge on the outside lip, but rather the inside lip?

I'll have to look at what brands costco carries.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='675540' date='Sep 22 2008, 03:37 PM
Why is everyone ignoring the Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric it only costs a little more than the Toyo and is the best performing premium tyre. The toyo is a very good tyre but at the end of the day it is a budget tyre like the falken FK452. Its not like theres alot to be saved by fitting Falkens or Toyos rather than the Goodyears and they arent exactly cheap cars everyone is driving.

Goodyear Eagle F1? I haven't done research on these. Thanks for the alternative. I'll look them up. How much are they?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='675511' date='Sep 22 2008, 03:17 PM
Is the bulge inside or outside? If outside, I'd say the tire is defective and should be replaced (pro-rated) by the manufacturer!!! If inside, it's caused by the amount a negative camber built into our cars.

Regarding tires, I went through 1 and half sets (replaced the backs twice) of the Toyo's. Got over 49K miles out of the fronts but the rears wore the insides out within 25-30K miles eventhought the outsides still looked great. I really liked the Toyo's and never had any problems in the rain but opted for cheap and cheerful when at 50K (warranty up) I wasn't sure if I would trade in the car for something else. Eventhough, now I can see the Toyo's run on the narrow side, I would still recommend them for the value!

congrats on 1000 posts! I'm pretty sure the bulge is on the inside (btw, how dangerous is this? should i not drive on it?) I didn't know our cars cause the bulges from negative camber. Do I need a new alignment?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Contributors

These guys sell tires for pretty cheap:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=gravity

If I were you, I would go back to where you bought the tires and tell them its defective. Worst case, they tell you you're SOL and you're back in the same position. It might buy you some time so you can do further research and choose the right tire for your application.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='675861' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:58 PM
These guys sell tires for pretty cheap:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=gravity

If I were you, I would go back to where you bought the tires and tell them its defective. Worst case, they tell you you're SOL and you're back in the same position. It might buy you some time so you can do further research and choose the right tire for your application.

Unfortunately I bought the car used with 9800 miles on it (currently at 21k). Previous owner said he swapped it out when he bought it..
Old 09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='675511' date='Sep 22 2008, 12:17 PM

Even if the bulge is on the inside, i think you can still get it replaced (pro-rated) by the manufacture as a defect. One of my co workers recently had her Michelin PAX run flat tire replaced pro-rated cause of a bulge on the inside.

I'd go T1R. I have them on my s2k and I like em. Maybe not the best tire out there, but they're good tires for the $. I drive moderately hard and the tires handle well.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Members

Went to costco today to order the michelin PS2's..
I'm running 245/35/19 up front and 285/30/19 in the rear on 166 rims.. should I stay on those sizes?

Also.. damn! those are expensive, $1700 was the damage.. Hope they are worth it. Does anyone know how long they last?

Quick Reply: toyo proxes T1r or Michelin Pilot sport ps2?