E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Top Tier Gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Is everyone familiar with the Top Tier Gas program (in the US at least)? toptiergas.com. Apparently BMW is part of a consortium of 4 that established higher standards for detergency, and it certifies certain brands as compliant. So, one would try to buy such gasoline.

Here's the question: why is Exxon/Mobil, one of the largest oil companies in the world, not on the list? Or for that matter British Petroleum/Amoco? The only thing I can think of is that the program requires all grades to be compliant, and these companies have not made their lower grades compliant. BMW's owners manual, of course, says nothing about this - just octane (premium) and "major brand."

Just wondering. I plan to keep my car a long time (and have had good success with my E21 for 24 years/196k miles) and I'm sure gas quality helps.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Mr.PC' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:16 AM
Is everyone familiar with the Top Tier Gas program (in the US at least)?? toptiergas.com.? Apparently BMW is part of a consortium of 4 that established higher standards for detergency, and it certifies certain brands as compliant.? So, one would try to buy such gasoline.?

Here's the question:? why is Exxon/Mobil, one of the largest oil companies in the world, not on the list?? Or for that matter British Petroleum/Amoco?? The only thing I can think of is that the program requires all grades to be compliant, and these companies have not made their lower grades compliant.? BMW's owners manual, of course, says nothing about this - just octane (premium) and "major brand."

Just wondering.? I plan to keep my car a long time (and have had good success with my E21 for 24 years/196k miles) and I'm sure gas quality helps.
[snapback]189511[/snapback]

I use only TopTier vendors. Shell mainly. I posted stuff here about Toptiergas.com a few times but there wasn't much activity in the threads. There is also wild variation in the contents of gas regionally (based on govt. studies I've perused). Perhaps these companies just don't have the tight controls necessary to guarantee the uniformity that is demanded.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 27 2005, 08:40 PM
[quote name='Mr.PC' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:16 AM']Is everyone familiar with the Top Tier Gas program (in the US at least)?? toptiergas.com.? Apparently BMW is part of a consortium of 4 that established higher standards for detergency, and it certifies certain brands as compliant.? So, one would try to buy such gasoline.?

Here's the question:? why is Exxon/Mobil, one of the largest oil companies in the world, not on the list?? Or for that matter British Petroleum/Amoco?? The only thing I can think of is that the program requires all grades to be compliant, and these companies have not made their lower grades compliant.? BMW's owners manual, of course, says nothing about this - just octane (premium) and "major brand."

Just wondering.? I plan to keep my car a long time (and have had good success with my E21 for 24 years/196k miles) and I'm sure gas quality helps.
[snapback]189511[/snapback]

I use only TopTier vendors. Shell mainly. I posted stuff here about Toptiergas.com a few times but there wasn't much activity in the threads. There is also wild variation in the contents of gas regionally (based on govt. studies I've perused). Perhaps these companies just don't have the tight controls necessary to guarantee the uniformity that is demanded.
[snapback]189597[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good point! Have anybody thaught why the hp's are always higher in the EU BMW's compared the US ones?

Here in Finland we have a small (compared to BP, Exxon or Shell) petrol and diesel producer named Neste Oil (http://www.nesteoil.com/).

They do have extremely high quality products!

They did bad timing though, renewing their production plats just as the hurricanes came into Mexian bay area. The share went down, but...
Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Trying to re-identify the top-tier gasolines. Do they vary across the country. In Phoenix, I remember Shell, Chevron, Quicktrip, and ???. Why Quicktrip? Aren't there 4. What is the other? I used to know where to find this stuff on BMWNA, but no more. Does anyone know where on BMWNA?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Znod' post='638897' date='Aug 3 2008, 07:44 PM
Trying to re-identify the top-tier gasolines. Do they vary across the country. In Phoenix, I remember Shell, Chevron, Quicktrip, and ???. Why Quicktrip? Aren't there 4. What is the other? I used to know where to find this stuff on BMWNA, but no more. Does anyone know where on BMWNA?
Here is a link to the list of Top Tier vendors.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Double Double Post Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

RPI dynoed a M5 with gas from various companies: Mobil, Chevron, ARCO, Shell, 76 and Texaco. Guess which one showed the most hp gain? ARCO. Where does ARCO get their gas from? British Petroleum.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='189639' date='Oct 27 2005, 12:22 PM
Good point! Have anybody thaught why the hp's are always higher in the EU BMW's compared the US ones?
No difference. Different measurement scales. Readings in DIN PS (favored in the EU) appear slightly higher than their identical measurement in the US using a different scale (SAE gross or net hp). Just as the US uses a different scale to measure octane ratings (again, the lower numbers here equate to higher numbers in the EU).
Old 08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Thanks for the link again guys. I missed it earlier. I still am trying to find related info on BMWNA--to see specifically what BMW now says.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='638922' date='Aug 3 2008, 08:12 PM
No difference. Different measurement scales. Readings in DIN PS (favored in the EU) appear slightly higher than their identical measurement in the US using a different scale (SAE gross or net hp). Just as the US uses a different scale to measure octane ratings (again, the lower numbers here equate to higher numbers in the EU).
Steve you responded to a statement that was three years old.

Quick Reply: Top Tier Gas