E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Which Tires should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to give my feedback on the General Eclaims, they are relatively quiet and they stick incredibly well. I was doing the "bedding" technique (braking from 60 to 10mph) for my brakes. It was raining. I was waiting for the ABS to kick in a few times. It did not. The wear seems very good. I do not think that I will be replacing these for about 30k miles. With all of the favorable reviews on TireRack from people who were changing from other brands, I cannot see how these tires can go wrong.

Every now and then, a manufacturer gives us something good. These General Exclaims seem good.

Now I have to admit, I am having very small vibration problems still with my #166 wheels, but I do not think that the tires are at fault. I posted something that showed that the hubcentric rings are probably the problem here (they are as thin as a soda can). The entire set up has been balanced on a Hunter 9700, and the machine is showing all 0.0s for balance.

Best,
Old 09-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='335167' date='Sep 16 2006, 12:55 PM
Just to give my feedback on the General Eclaims, they are relatively quiet and they stick incredibly well. I was doing the "bedding" technique (braking from 60 to 10mph) for my brakes. It was raining. I was waiting for the ABS to kick in a few times. It did not. The wear seems very good. I do not think that I will be replacing these for about 30k miles. With all of the favorable reviews on TireRack from people who were changing from other brands, I cannot see how these tires can go wrong.

Every now and then, a manufacturer gives us something good. These General Exclaims seem good.

Now I have to admit, I am having very small vibration problems still with my #166 wheels, but I do not think that the tires are at fault. I posted something that showed that the hubcentric rings are probably the problem here (they are as thin as a soda can). The entire set up has been balanced on a Hunter 9700, and the machine is showing all 0.0s for balance.

Best,
Yeah, that's why I'm not going with the 166 replica's from LSW&T like you did. You pretty much convinced me not to. I decided to stay away from replica's altogether. Going with the Axis Penta;s instead. Good luck though with fixing your wheels. I hope you resolve the issue soon and thanks for the feedbak on the GE's.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='335234' date='Sep 16 2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm not going with the 166 replica's from LSW&T like you did. You pretty much convinced me not to. I decided to stay away from replica's altogether. Going with the Axis Penta;s instead. Good luck though with fixing your wheels. I hope you resolve the issue soon and thanks for the feedbak on the GE's.
Yeah, but if the Axis come with 74mm outside diameter, you may have the same problem.
You should check this in advance.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='334860' date='Sep 15 2006, 02:36 PM
Treble post
Treble? Exactly what is the "bass"is for that?

I'll just leave it this way:

As best I can tell, looks like this poster has about a 65 THOUSAND dollar new 5 series--with a SIX cylinder engine--and he's worried about saving that little bit of money to buy a discount store brand--that is OE on General Motors CHEAPEST--and crappiest--cars? And he's not worried about them being round or true--while he's riding on COPY wheels?
With this logic, isn't there a faster car, with more features, a better warranty, that has 1 cubic foot more room, and 2 more watts ouput from the hi-fi, that is also cheaper than an e60? My point is that you buy anything for it's combination of features and desirablity to you. Can you really get excited about owning copy wheels and General Tires? And as far as any tires being superior to the PS2, I haven't seen it. Nor have most people in the industry. Do you think that General Exclaims will be the new OE rubber for next year's Ferrari, Porsche, or even the best Japanese cars? Looks like the PS 2 is.

Ah. youth. There's so much hope in it.
Selah.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by allenman' post='336003' date='Sep 18 2006, 11:36 PM
Treble? Exactly what is the "bass"is for that?

I'll just leave it this way:

As best I can tell, looks like this poster has about a 65 THOUSAND dollar new 5 series--with a SIX cylinder engine--and he's worried about saving that little bit of money to buy a discount store brand--that is OE on General Motors CHEAPEST--and crappiest--cars? And he's not worried about them being round or true--while he's riding on COPY wheels?
With this logic, isn't there a faster car, with more features, a better warranty, that has 1 cubic foot more room, and 2 more watts ouput from the hi-fi, that is also cheaper than an e60? My point is that you buy anything for it's combination of features and desirablity to you. Can you really get excited about owning copy wheels and General Tires? And as far as any tires being superior to the PS2, I haven't seen it. Nor have most people in the industry. Do you think that General Exclaims will be the new OE rubber for next year's Ferrari, Porsche, or even the best Japanese cars? Looks like the PS 2 is.

Ah. youth. There's so much hope in it.
Selah.
I respectfully differ. If you extend this logic, some who paid $20k for a car by definition should not get replica wheels because $20k is a lot of money. Everyone has different tastes.

You spend 8 hours a day in your bed, but do you have a $100,000 bed to match the pro rata amount you should be spending considering that you spent $50k on a car that you only use for 3 hours a day? I could argue that you should have a $100,000 bed if you have a $1.5 million house. Most of us probably have a $3,000 bed (if even that).

My point is that we have choices. Everything we buy during the day gives us that choice. If you read the Tire Rack reviews, they say great things about the General Tires. You are right that the General's will not be on the next Porsche because of reputational issues, but that does not mean that one of us should be questioned because we chose the tire over a PS2 for our 5-series. I think that they are great tires, and 1000s of others have said the same on Tire Rack. I appreciate your understanding of a different opinion.

Best,
Old 09-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='334156' date='Sep 14 2006, 12:19 AM
As I'm about to purchase my new 19" wheels, one dealer mentioned a tire company that I never heard of...

They are called Vredestein. Has anyone heard of these tires? I was about to pull the trigger on General Exclaims UHP tire based on all the reviews I read, but for the same price, this dealer will give me Vredestein.

Can anyone help here?

Vredenstein is a known brand in Europe, they make i.e. great winter tyres for Nordic conditions.

But 19" summertyres needs to be Michelin PS, GoodYear F1, Bridgestone Potenza or Continental SportContact3 even Pirelli's could do.

Michelin is not good on wet surfaces but otherwise the best.