E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Which Tires should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh?
Vredestein was a popular name back in the 70's when I used to buy tires for my 914 and my Fiat 124, but...

Maybe I'm nuts, but is there any reason. other than money, why you wouldn't just buy the Michelin PS2's and get it over with? Yes, it is expensive. A set costs what, 300 bucks more than the other stuff?

Vredestiens? General Exclaims?! What next, recaps?
Am I to understand that you want to go through the aggravation and expense of doing a 19" setup, only to save a little money, and find in the long run that you got markedly less than you bargained for? Ultimately, tires are your LAST line of defense with the road.

I still can't figure it. I can only suppose that many of you have never lived with a set of tires and wheels that irritated you--noise, vibration, pulling, even an ugly sidewall design, and spent coutnless wasted hours trying to straighten them out...And yes, for quality reasons, all those black circle thingys (tires) are not as round as they should be. This is why you just can't scrimp on tires.
And FWIW, Tire Rack has no better quality control on tires than anyone else. They just take them out of the containers and put them in stock. In fairness, they do a good job of making sure that the packages that they mount and balance are round. But your wheels aren't coming from them.

Western Sizzlin has steak. So does Smith and Wollensky, Mortons, The Palm, and Peter Luger. Are they the same?
Sorry, I just don't get it. Old man's rant is over now.
Go ahead, blast me.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by allenman' post='334621' date='Sep 14 2006, 11:18 PM
Huh?
Vredestein was a popular name back in the 70's when I used to buy tires for my 914 and my Fiat 124, but...

Maybe I'm nuts, but is there any reason. other than money, why you wouldn't just buy the Michelin PS2's and get it over with? Yes, it is expensive. A set costs what, 300 bucks more than the other stuff?

I guess you should go to TireRack and read the ratings on the General Exclaims posted by thousands of actual drivers. They have the top ratings in the category. Obviously, if those drivers did not like the tires or they were defective causing vibration, they would not be in the top slot (someone would have said something).

As I stated above, the masses always criticize lower price tires because they are lower priced. I agree that buying the PS2s may be nice, but I would not take shots at a tire solely because it is inexpensive.

In my case, I am still trying to find out why I have light vibration in my wheels after getting hubcentric rings, but I think that the problem is in the wheels, not the tires.

Just my opinion...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='334737' date='Sep 15 2006, 08:17 AM
I guess you should go to TireRack and read the ratings on the General Exclaims posted by thousands of actual drivers. They have the top ratings in the category. Obviously, if those drivers did not like the tires or they were defective causing vibration, they would not be in the top slot (someone would have said something).

As I stated above, the masses always criticize lower price tires because they are lower priced. I agree that buying the PS2s may be nice, but I would not take shots at a tire solely because it is inexpensive.

In my case, I am still trying to find out why I have light vibration in my wheels after getting hubcentric rings, but I think that the problem is in the wheels, not the tires.

Just my opinion...
I agree with you Monaco. There are A TON of reviews of General Exclaim tires and the feedback is fantastic. I'm not going to buy Michelin PS2's, just because they are Michelins. In fact, I had PS2's on my E39 and loved them, but it wasn't so much that I wouldn't consider trying some new...and cheaper. Plus, I'm looking at Axis Penta wheels. I'm not looking to buy RAD's or HRE's. If I was going to spend that much on wheels, they yes, spending a few extra hundred bucks on tires would be minimal compared to the expense of the wheels. I also have to consider the fact that I have a wife who has lot's of nice ideas for the new house we just built, not to mention that I'm buildng a new, dedicated home theater room in my house which is costing me a pretty penny. I'd rather cut cost on tires than my new Marantz amp.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by allenman' post='334621' date='Sep 14 2006, 11:18 PM
Huh?

Am I to understand that you want to go through the aggravation and expense of doing a 19" setup, only to save a little money, and find in the long run that you got markedly less than you bargained for? Ultimately, tires are your LAST line of defense with the road.

I still can't figure it. I can only suppose that many of you have never lived with a set of tires and wheels that irritated you--noise, vibration, pulling, even an ugly sidewall design, and spent coutnless wasted hours trying to straighten them out...And yes, for quality reasons, all those black circle thingys (tires) are not as round as they should be. This is why you just can't scrimp on tires.
And FWIW, Tire Rack has no better quality control on tires than anyone else. They just take them out of the containers and put them in stock. In fairness, they do a good job of making sure that the packages that they mount and balance are round. But your wheels aren't coming from them.

Western Sizzlin has steak. So does Smith and Wollensky, Mortons, The Palm, and Peter Luger. Are they the same?
Go ahead, blast me.
Well, I'm going with Axis Penta's and not replica's for wheels, so I think the wheel part should be fine. As for tires, you can read my post above, but like I said earlier, GE gets fantastic reviews on many sites. And if they do turn out to be pieces of junk (which I doubt), I'll get new tires and will know that I didn't take a huge loss on my first try...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by allenman' post='334621' date='Sep 14 2006, 08:18 PM
Huh?

Go ahead, blast me.
Treble post
Old 09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Huh?

Go ahead, blast me.
Treble post
Old 09-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Huh?

There are many tires that are just as good if not better than the PS2's.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 2005 X3 3.0

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='334618' date='Sep 14 2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks Tony! Always a helping hand when you need one. Now I just need to return the favor and buy that damn Aero Kit front bumper from you. Soon...I promise. Wheels first though!

You`re welcome..
btw,you can get aero kit anytime but get your wheels first!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='334863' date='Sep 15 2006, 03:38 PM
There are many tires that are just as good if not better than the PS2's.
Thanks Swajames. I agree as well.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by quad_m' post='334916' date='Sep 15 2006, 07:20 PM
You`re welcome..
btw,you can get aero kit anytime but get your wheels first!
Thanks Tony. I know...I'm driving you nuts. Don't worry, my order will be coming shortly.

Quick Reply: Which Tires should I go with?