E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Veight' post='464526' date='Aug 31 2007, 08:52 AM
I tried nitrous oxide in my tires but everyone was laughing at my ride.
Nitrous is used in clinics and hospitals
That is Y U C patients come laughing ......
Ha Ha ha.......................................
Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

The Costco near me did not have a road force balance machine - so I had to settle for normal air at my dealer's.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by pointerman' post='464676' date='Aug 31 2007, 06:32 PM
Well, considering NASCAR and most other racing applications use it now there must be some benefit. .
I'm curious, if NASCAR uses it and there is no change in PSI do to temperature change , why do they warm up there tires?
cheers
vern
Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by vern' post='465002' date='Sep 2 2007, 07:10 AM
I'm curious, if NASCAR uses it and there is no change in PSI do to temperature change , why do they warm up there tires?
cheers
vern

Physics and Chemistry... anything HOTTER, the molecules will be moving faster and hence change in PSI. You cant avoid that... they say N is less then CO2 but of course there's still going to be changes so NASCAR will still try to avoid that small change.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

It's almost certainly used in race applications because it will come out the bottle dry. Moisture content is the one thing that may make enough of a difference to racing to make it worthwhile. Doubt very much whether it'll be noticable on the road.

Diffusion of a gas across a semi-permeable barrier is almost entirely governed by size of the molecules. Size of molecule is pretty much consistent with atomic number. N is 7, O is 8. N2 will be smaller than O2, and actually diffuse faster. The rest of the content of air is so miniscule as to make no difference; CO2 is relatively big molecule and small molecules (eg single atoms of inert gases He, Ne, Ar, etc) will diffuse faster, but very very small proportion of air anyway. And you'll probably get more leakage around/through the valve than you will across the tyre anyway. Diffusion through an alloy wheel is just as likely also.

And my point about Boyle's law stands - doesn't matter what gas your tyre is filled with, increase in PSI with increase in temperature will be the same.

Agree with other post - if you get it free, fine, but I certainly wouldn't pay even pennies extra for it.

Oh, and they mainly warm tyres in top racing classes to get the tyres up to optimum "sticky" temperature as well as to get the pressure up.

Andrew
Old 09-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I go for Nitrogen.
I have them on all of my cars and my frends have them now too after they tryed out my car.
I will never go back to air anymore. :thumbsdown:
Its like people saying driving with AS they will not buy a new BMW with out the AS
Old 09-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Dose any 1 know what they put in F1 tires?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I found this which explains it all pretty well...

NASCAR drivers and NASA have been using nitrogen in their tires for years. Now, you can use it in your tires for better gas mileage and safer handling.

"I've even had dealers call me up and ask me what's up with nitrogen, because a lot of them don't even know about it," said Thomas Taylor, a Costco Tire Center manager.

"Its the best thing for people who ignore their tires," said Kevin Rohlwing, of the Tire Industry Association.

That is why Costco Tire Centers across the country offer nitrogen over air. The benefit is two-fold. Your tires stay inflated longer and because nitrogen is very dry you will see less pressure fluctuation than you get with air.

Catherine Rossi of AAA Mid-Atlantic, said nitrogen molecules are actually four times larger than compressed air molecules, helping to maintain a constant tire pressure with less leaking out of the tires.

"If you put regular air in the tire, it's going to have moisture in the tire and as the tire heats up, that moisture vaporizes, turns to gas and it inflates the tire more," Taylor said.

The moisture in air not only expands and contracts, it can also prematurely corrode your tires.

"We definitely feel that nitrogen is favorable to the tires. It is going to help them run cooler. It is going to help the pressure be more consistent and even," Rohlwing said.

Consistent pressure is key for safety and handling. Experts say that 600 fatal accidents each year are attributed to low tire pressure. The Energy Department says consistent tire pressure, whether it is nitrogen or air can improve gas mileage by 3 percent.

However, the Tire Industry Association and AAA agree that nitrogen is not a substitute for an air gauge. You should check your tire pressure every month.

"Still check it, but you won't have to fill the tire as much as you would with regular air," Taylor said.

"If you are a person who puts a set of tires on your car and the next time you worry about them is when you get a flat, or you skid on snow or ice, then nitrogen is a good thing for you," Rohlwing said.

AAA said that the biggest problem with nitrogen right now is that because of the high cost of equipment, not many service stations offer it yet. Costco is offering the service to their members locally and across the country.

Remember, whether you use nitrogen or air, the key is keeping your tires at the right pressure.

One out of four tires is significantly under inflated.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Today,I got my all tires including Spare tire in the trunk filled with Nitrogen, green caps on valve stems , cost $20/-. Tires-lifetime refills.
Tires valves should not be on ground- may damage TPM sensor, emptied 3-times and presuure was <2psi. had to reset TPM thru I drive and Driving.

Costco does it free with free refills, lifetime(tires) if U buy tires from them.
Called few places: $20-$40 cost with free refills ( lifetime free : Cars/tires)
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='466721' date='Sep 6 2007, 11:58 PM
Catherine Rossi of AAA Mid-Atlantic, said nitrogen molecules are actually four times larger than compressed air molecules, helping to maintain a constant tire pressure with less leaking out of the tires.
That, frankly, is total and utter BS. Nearly 80% of air is nitrogen already. Air is a mixture of molecules. Mostly nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2), with bit of CO2, CO, NO2, ozone (O3) some noble gases (He, Ne, Ar, etc), and some others. The only molecules significantly smaller/lighter than nitrogen are the noble gases, and they make a up a tiny tiny fraction of air. This sentence is like saying nitrogen molecules are larger than cheese molecules

That's it - I'm going to start offering a service to fill your tyres with cheese. It'll leak a lot slower than nitrogen! And brand conscious people can fill their tyres with a really good Stilton perhaps. Franchises in other countries could use a local cheese, although I'm not sure parmesan in Italy would be a good idea (might give a slightly harder ride than a good Greek Feta).

Andrew

Quick Reply: Tires