E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tire Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:01 AM
RAI
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to get some new tires for my 545i Sport Package car, and would appreciate some feedback from those who have had good luck with a particular tire. Because the tires on the 545i SP car are pretty large and low-profile, I know that the wrong tire can give a harsh ride. Two big factors I'm looking for are tread quietness and a good ride. I especially do not want a loud tread noise! I also want a good handling, responsive tire. I don't care about snow traction, and longevity isn't a primary concern. So far, I've had the dreaded Dunlop OEM runflats (good handling, harsh ride and horrible tread noise after 4,000 miles), Michelin PS2s (incredible handling, ride too harsh for me, too much tread noise, and I could never get them balanced), Yokohama AVS db S2s (very quiet, good handling, harsh ride) and my current Continental ContiSport Contact 2s (probably the best of the bunch for me overall so far- good handling, good ride and fairly quiet tread, but not outstanding in any one area).

The tires I'm thinking about now are:
1. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
2. Pirelli PZero Nero M+S

Anyone have any recommendations based on their own experiences? I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the F1 GS-DS or the PZero Nero M+S AND any of the tires I've had on my car mentioned above, and can tell me how they compare against each other.

Thanks,
RAI
Old 09-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RAI' date='Sep 12 2005, 01:01 PM
I'm getting ready to get some new tires for my 545i Sport Package car, and would appreciate some feedback from those who have had good luck with a particular tire.? Because the tires on the 545i SP car are pretty large and low-profile, I know that the wrong tire can give a harsh ride.? Two big factors I'm looking for are tread quietness and a good ride.? I especially do not want a loud tread noise!? I also want a good handling, responsive tire.? I don't care about snow traction, and longevity isn't a primary concern.? So far, I've had the dreaded Dunlop OEM runflats (good handling, harsh ride and horrible tread noise after 4,000 miles), Michelin PS2s (incredible handling, ride too harsh for me, too much tread noise, and I could never get them balanced), Yokohama AVS db S2s (very quiet, good handling, harsh ride) and my current Continental ContiSport Contact 2s (probably the best of the bunch for me overall so far- good handling, good ride and fairly quiet tread, but not outstanding in any one area).

Anyone have any recommendations based on their own experiences?? I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the F1 GS-DS or the PZero Nero M+S AND any of the tires I've had on my car mentioned above, and can tell me how they compare against each other.

Thanks,
RAI
[snapback]169740[/snapback]
I have about 6k miles on my Pirelli P Zero Nero. I've been very pleased. The ride has gotten much better than the Dunflop RF, they are also much quieter and the wet traction is superb. Go for it!!
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

BMW NA replaced my Dunflops with Bridgestone RE050 run flats and I like them a lot better. NO NOISE and the ride seems less harsh. Handling seems to be equivalent.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Does Michelin make any good runflats yet?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Not that you would want to reprise the Dunlop RFs, but the ones that came on my 545 sport (arrived ~June 1) now have about 8,000 miles and are no noisier than when they were new. Plenty of tread left, too.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RAI' date='Sep 12 2005, 12:01 PM
I'm getting ready to get some new tires for my 545i Sport Package car, and would appreciate some feedback from those who have had good luck with a particular tire.? Because the tires on the 545i SP car are pretty large and low-profile, I know that the wrong tire can give a harsh ride.? Two big factors I'm looking for are tread quietness and a good ride.? I especially do not want a loud tread noise!? I also want a good handling, responsive tire.? I don't care about snow traction, and longevity isn't a primary concern.? So far, I've had the dreaded Dunlop OEM runflats (good handling, harsh ride and horrible tread noise after 4,000 miles), Michelin PS2s (incredible handling, ride too harsh for me, too much tread noise, and I could never get them balanced), Yokohama AVS db S2s (very quiet, good handling, harsh ride) and my current Continental ContiSport Contact 2s (probably the best of the bunch for me overall so far- good handling, good ride and fairly quiet tread, but not outstanding in any one area).

Anyone have any recommendations based on their own experiences?? I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the F1 GS-DS or the PZero Nero M+S AND any of the tires I've had on my car mentioned above, and can tell me how they compare against each other.

Thanks,
RAI
[snapback]169740[/snapback]
Neighbor - I just got the Contis also. I think for what you want, they are probably the best compromise. They are definitely quiet and from what I've read, they are certainly quieter than the Eagle F1s. And as far as the Pzero - "M+S" is just one more compromise - they will definitely be louder and not handle as well. Do you really need snow capable tires in Cary? I don't because I have alternatives. If I did have to drive far when it occassionally snows enough, I would just rent or borrow a car. So few people have to go to work when there is snow on the ground.....
Old 09-13-2005, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

I would lose the runflats period (and buy some Michelins), but if I felt compelled to keep them, I think the Bridgestone is far superior to the Dunlop..
Old 09-13-2005, 06:00 AM
RAI
Members

Thanks for your input. What do people who have the Eagle F-1 GS-D3s think of them? How's the ride and tread noise?

-RAI
Old 09-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

I recently upgraded my wheels to 19" Radenergies and went with Bridgestone SO3's. They may a bit more expesnive than the one you are looking at, but you should consider them.

So far they are very quiet (but the RF's were at first to). The ride of these are much better than the RF's I had on the stock 18" wheel. Handling is vastly improved and I have not experienced any tramlining. So far I am very pleased.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by allenman' date='Sep 13 2005, 06:57 AM
I would lose the runflats period (and buy some Michelins),
[snapback]169958[/snapback]
YES Go for Michelins. PS2 is the best...

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations?