E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tire pressure sensors don't fit the new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Try to transfer my sensors over to my set of BBS RGR wheels...
Damn it doesn't fit! The BBS valve stem hole is too small and it doesn't have a flat surface on the outside of the wheel for the nut to sit on flat.
I am pissed....
I thought BBS made alot of wheels for BMW and it should fit without a problem
Oh well, I guess I just need to live with the TPM light on.

For those of you that didn't install new sensors on the 07 when you change wheels, how annoying is the TPM indicator? I hope I can live with it, since I really like the wheels...

For those consider new wheels, don't assume they just work, check to see if there's a flat surface and enough space to mount the sensor and if the valve hole is as big as the original wheels
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Everyone that has bought new wheels and tires for their car had to go and purchase new tire sensors. Haven't heard of anyone successfully transferring existing sensors over to new tires.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Just a thought, could a small engineering company modify them for you?. Should be possible..
Old 09-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='332300' date='Sep 8 2006, 10:07 AM
Everyone that has bought new wheels and tires for their car had to go and purchase new tire sensors. Haven't heard of anyone successfully transferring existing sensors over to new tires.
Hey, I think that the poster was saying that the new wheels have a hole that is too small for the sensor stems. I could have transferred my old sensors if I had wanted to. The person who did my change warned me that some wheels have holes that are too small, but luckily my holes in the new wheels were large enough.

As soon as the transfer was made, the TPM took to the new sensors immediately. Problem is gone.

The manufacturer of the sensors are Beru, and maybe they make a compatible sensor for BMW with a smaller stem (possibly for another car maker that still works with the BMW system). Don't give up hope too quickly. Do a little research and maybe you will find a solution.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

You can't just make the hole larger?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='332492' date='Sep 8 2006, 06:14 PM
You can't just make the hole larger?
Excellent point. If you take the time, I don't see why you cannot professionally drill larger holes to accommodate the stems.

This would be a very cost effective solution as well with no long term harm to anything. You are just making the holes the same size as OEM BMW tires.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='332300' date='Sep 8 2006, 05:07 PM

Nothing to add!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Members

You need to by the value stem from BBS that fits the wheel. I had to do that on my RXII. The value stem is custome made to fit the wheel.

B2

Originally Posted by kchan' post='332180' date='Sep 8 2006, 05:46 AM

Damn it doesn't fit! The BBS valve stem hole is too small and it doesn't have a flat surface on the outside of the wheel for the nut to sit on flat.
I am pissed....

For those of you that didn't install new sensors on the 07 when you change wheels, how annoying is the TPM indicator? I hope I can live with it, since I really like the wheels...

For those consider new wheels, don't assume they just work, check to see if there's a flat surface and enough space to mount the sensor and if the valve hole is as big as the original wheels
Old 09-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kchan' post='332180' date='Sep 7 2006, 10:46 PM

I am pissed....

All you have to do is take your old sensors and have them strap or expoxied(glued) to the inside of the wheel. It'll work just fine that way.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by h22wgn' post='332991' date='Sep 10 2006, 03:48 PM
All you have to do is take your old sensors and have them strap or expoxied(glued) to the inside of the wheel. It'll work just fine that way.

I guess the problem with strapping or gluing the sensor to the inside is the possible problem that could be caused by a dislodged sensor. I think that the sensor could have the speed of a bullet and could puncture the tire from the inside. I would not be willing to follow that path. The two piece valve stem and sensor prevents this issue from happening.

Best,

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensors don't fit the new wheels