E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tint Upstate NY--Experience??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done installing euro reflectors and m lip spoiler this weekend, thinking of trunk finisher next.

Debating what to do about tint while I'm at it. Bought 530 with 50% on the back 1/2 of the car, no fronts and it looks terrible IMO. Outside of car is black and interior is tan so I know that tint will not look as dark.

Any upstate NY people out there? Any experiece with how dark I can get away with in this area? I know what the laws are and how ridiculous they are so you can save those comments. I would like to do 35% across the whole car. Best brand I can find locally is 3m. Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wbg24' post='770918' date='Jan 18 2009, 04:34 PM
Just got done installing euro reflectors and m lip spoiler this weekend, thinking of trunk finisher next.

Debating what to do about tint while I'm at it. Bought 530 with 50% on the back 1/2 of the car, no fronts and it looks terrible IMO. Outside of car is black and interior is tan so I know that tint will not look as dark.

Any upstate NY people out there? Any experiece with how dark I can get away with in this area? I know what the laws are and how ridiculous they are so you can save those comments. I would like to do 35% across the whole car. Best brand I can find locally is 3m. Thoughts?

Where are you looking? Some places have Llumar, if that's what you're looking for.

I had the 3M headlight film put on at the Tint Shop on W. Henrietta.

What about the tint place on Jefferson across from Palmers?

I had some work done a long time ago at Tim's Trim out in Chili. Very good work. I had them install a glass sliding sunroof and it was flawless. (Not the slider outside the roof, but between the headliner and the roof.)

FWIW, it may be hard to match the tint on the back. It may be faded. Better to redo the whole car. I'm not really into tint, but have been thinking about 50% all around. As far as what to get away with, I don't see any reason to give them any more reason to pull you over. For whatever reason.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:00 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ADD' post='770967' date='Jan 18 2009, 06:33 PM
Where are you looking? Some places have Llumar, if that's what you're looking for.

I had the 3M headlight film put on at the Tint Shop on W. Henrietta.

What about the tint place on Jefferson across from Palmers?

I had some work done a long time ago at Tim's Trim out in Chili. Very good work. I had them install a glass sliding sunroof and it was flawless. (Not the slider outside the roof, but between the headliner and the roof.)

FWIW, it may be hard to match the tint on the back. It may be faded. Better to redo the whole car. I'm not really into tint, but have been thinking about 50% all around. As far as what to get away with, I don't see any reason to give them any more reason to pull you over. For whatever reason.

I'm also thinking of the trunk finisher. And Baje1 is also from Rochester.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi Space gray, auborn leather interior w/Dkr popular wood: Steptronic/Auto-Trans, Navi w/realtime traffic, premium & cold pkgs, heated rear seats, power rear sun shade passenger rear shades.

Originally Posted by wbg24' post='770918' date='Jan 18 2009, 04:34 PM

Well I live in orange county, and I just recently got my bimmer "07" 525xi with Space gray/Auborn tan interior, tinted 20% all around and haven't got pulled over yet, and I pass by both local PD and state trooper vehicles on the road I would say every other day, not to mention i also work in the city and travel 82mi round trip every day to and from work. Those tints aren't legal, but they look great, I mean, it adds to the vehicle and gives it a pretty cool look. During the day you can see an outline of who's in my car, but at night of course forget it. You see no one inside! I think you can get away with 35% with the tint meter. If you've got any friends/family members on the force, try to get a pba card or something, other wise try going for 35%. Anything lighter than that and you might as well don't bother tinting your windows. To get that nice look, you've got to tint all around evenly, and don't bother with that darker at the back and light or nothing at the front. It simply won't look good. I don't have pics yet, but in a couple of days I'll take some and post them.