E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tint Installed - EZpass No Longer Works

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hey everyone,

I have recently gotten 5% tint all around and I noticed that my EZPass no longer works! (For those in Europe, EZpass is a device that automatically lets you get past tolls without having to roll the window down and pay the collector... it takes it off your credit card)

The only way I can get EZPass to work now is if I either open the sunroof and HOLD the unit out of the open roof or if I roll the window down and hold the unit outside the car while passing the EZPass lane.

I don't know what brand tint I got (Had it done at Carpretty in Philadelphia), but it is very dark (5% all around)... I am sure that is the problem

Has anyone experienced this?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Hi.. I got mine done 30% LLUMAR ATR Tint @ carpretty too (Tony did for me, amazing work no bubbles!), 3 weeks back... Did you get same? Can you call and find out..

I have a oily look and lot of reflection on rear windsheild, do you have such prob? Shop now says its common?? (tony is out, he fell from stairs and broke it leg or something.. so waiting for himt o be back.)
Old 05-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='421806' date='May 7 2007, 08:06 AM
Hey everyone,

I have recently gotten 5% tint all around and I noticed that my EZPass no longer works! (For those in Europe, EZpass is a device that automatically lets you get past tolls without having to roll the window down and pay the collector... it takes it off your credit card)

The only way I can get EZPass to work now is if I either open the sunroof and HOLD the unit out of the open roof or if I roll the window down and hold the unit outside the car while passing the EZPass lane.

I don't know what brand tint I got (Had it done at Carpretty in Philadelphia), but it is very dark (5% all around)... I am sure that is the problem

Interesting, most of the high speed tolls i go thru in Illinois do not have an indicator that EZ Pass worked. So the tint would only save on tolls for me.

Until I got busted, but Id have a great excuse.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Veight' post='421812' date='May 7 2007, 08:41 AM
Interesting, most of the high speed tolls i go thru in Illinois do not have an indicator that EZ Pass worked. So the tint would only save on tolls for me.

Until I got busted, but Id have a great excuse.
EZ/I-Pass( IL,USA) goes on windshield/Dash, works for me with my tinted autos(lumar), But ceramic will be on my 528xi soon.

Your autos are registered or updated with I-Pass, when your car passes thru tolls and I-pass doesnt get scanned or you do not have or forgot EZ/I-Pass thing or U pass with high speed, they get info thru License plate scanned and payment comes out automatically from your account. Have U checked your I-Pass account lately or updated your autos info with them?

Anyway tolls must go, They were supposed to be temporary and they are NOT on ALL INTERSTATES, It is not right and is headache/waste of time in commute. IL should look some alternatives for revenue from motorists (increase $ amount at IL-DOT level like registration, license plate renewal or annual renewal fee). It should be tax free too.

Tolls bring very good revenue-easy money, and they will never GO.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 AM
AlB
Senior Members

With 5% tint, I'm surprised you can see well enough to drive I bet it's a bear at night.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

what kind of tint did you get?
ceramic/lumar tints should work.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='421806' date='May 7 2007, 09:06 AM
Hey everyone,

Tell EZ Pass what make,
, model and year car you have and they will send you a black tag that attaches to your licence plate.
Its a wonder that they didn't send it to you when you told them the information when you got EZPass, they did it for me . Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 05-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Mystic Blue, Premium Package, Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Navigation, Heated Seats, Premium Sound Pkg, Satellite Radio. 2001 325Cic Convertible, Premium and Sport Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Heated seats

In Texas, EZ Pass specifically mentions 5 series and advises that you will get a license plate attachment that essentially bolts on the top of the plate. Works without issue, although for the life of me, I can't believe that some crooks wouldn't just steal it with a screwdriver. I believe Tx says that some of the electronics interferes with the EZ tag on the window - not the tint.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Titanium Silver Metallic, M Aero Kit, 19" Style 101 Wheels, Sport, Convenience, Satellite, Navigation

I live in Houston and have an EZ tag on my 530. No problems (at least that I have been made aware of by the local authorities).
Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Is your front windshield tinted?

I have 20% tint on my car, and my EPass works fine. But I have my EPass stuck to the front widshield above the rearview mirror. So there is no tint blocking the EPass there.

Quick Reply: Tint Installed - EZpass No Longer Works