E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: dedicated summer tires - 550i
General Exclaim UHP
18.18%
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
16.36%
Sumitomo HTR Z III
16.36%
Michelin
30.91%
Other (specify)
18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

time for new summer rubber

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

dunlops are the way to go man i'm telling ya. check the tire reviews on tirerack and the summer test they did last year with empirical data not just people spouting out opinions. go to a local autocross and look at how many people are running them. my brother has them on his s2k. i have them on my sti. i've had these and 2 sets of the oem bridgestones on the sti and i have taken it to multiple tracks, and the dunlops win hands down. outstanding tire. i want some good 18s for my 5 and i will be wrapping them in those tires - without a doubt.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

You know...everyone here has an opinion on what is the "best" tire. In reality, what is best for one person may not be the best for the others. The OP needs to be specific about what he wants out of the tires, if he intends on getting any value out of the opinions expressed here. Do you track all the time...do you commute a lot? What is important to you??? Different tires do different things better...you have decide what "best" means to you. My priority is: 1-ride, 2-quiet ride, 3-long life, 4-traction, 5-cost. I put "traction" far down on the list because 99% of the tires out there, are gonna provide more tration than I need anytway.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Just saw this post. Good timing.

A brand new set of Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics just landed in my driveway. In surfing here and there, I got the feeling
the Asymmetrics were a good comprise in terms of cost and performance. Originally, I planned to stay with OEM runflats, as for the most
part they were fine, felt sporty, and I like the safety feature. The brigestone RFTs lasted long at 30K. That said, I just wanted to try non-runflats for a change and verify, as some have stated, how much better the non-RFTs feel.

BTW. Got a good deal at tirerack. $880 ship minus a so-called $80 rebate. For reference, my BMW SA quoted me $2,200 for new RFTs installed. ??

I'll post my impressions of the Goodyears after it gets warm in Chicago.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bha7176
I disagree, I had these on my 330XI and they SUCKED!
What didn't you like about them?
Having 4+ cars at a time, I have tried many many different tires out there including tons of R-comps for track days and there are not many tires out there that can beat the price/performance of Kumho's.
I'm currently enjoying Kumho XS on my 911 Turbo.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

How about the Falken FK452's or Toyo T1R's?

I haven't decided on new tires yet, but from all my research, both of those are near the top of my list. Perhaps others will chime in if these aren't great choices. I would love a set of PS2's, but frankly, that's a lot of money for such a low treadwear rating, especially since I'll never push them to the limit.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
...especially since I'll never push them to the limit.
then why would you consider the PS2 instead of the PS2 A/S??? and the A/S has a treadwear of 500.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Members

I put Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports on my 545, fantastic tire, smooth quite ride.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
How about the Falken FK452's or Toyo T1R's?

I haven't decided on new tires yet, but from all my research, both of those are near the top of my list. Perhaps others will chime in if these aren't great choices. I would love a set of PS2's, but frankly, that's a lot of money for such a low treadwear rating, especially since I'll never push them to the limit.

i've had both of these, the toyo's are much more comfortable and quiet. The falken's are a good tire too and about half the price of the toyo so to some that makes up for the little rougher/noisier ride of the falken's. performance on the streets is similar.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by joyride
What didn't you like about them?
Having 4+ cars at a time, I have tried many many different tires out there including tons of R-comps for track days and there are not many tires out there that can beat the price/performance of Kumho's.
I'm currently enjoying Kumho XS on my 911 Turbo.

They had absolutely no traction in the rain. On dry roadways they did OK, but in reality it's not always dry on the roadways. When it rained these things slid all around the place and I never felt safe. just my experience, yours may have been different.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by skunkd
i've had both of these, the toyo's are much more comfortable and quiet. The falken's are a good tire too and about half the price of the toyo so to some that makes up for the little rougher/noisier ride of the falken's. performance on the streets is similar.

Quick Reply: time for new summer rubber