E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: dedicated summer tires - 550i
General Exclaim UHP
18.18%
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
16.36%
Sumitomo HTR Z III
16.36%
Michelin
30.91%
Other (specify)
18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

time for new summer rubber

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

I am putting new tires on my summer rims this spring. I had decided on General Exclaim's, or at last I thought I did. After reading some more reviews I am starting to think a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS might be better value. also, Sumitomo HTRZ III look intereting as well.

If you have personal experience with these three tires, let me know what you think.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Contributors

why isnt trojan on there?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
why isnt trojan on there?
...been snipped!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

I voted the Conti DWS. I actually have experience with both those and the Sumitomos. The continental are superior in all aspects in my opinion, especially road noise.

I already have 245/40/18 DWS on my winter wheels, and I am about to pick up another set (245/35/19, 275/30/19) for my summer wheels.

Highly recommended.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i

i have brand new conti dsw's on the car i just bought on staggered 124s. no want though.. if these are your summer only tires why are you including all seasons? for summer these tires do it hands down for me. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec
Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Originally Posted by sleeper50
I am putting new tires on my summer rims this spring. I had decided on General Exclaim's, or at last I thought I did. After reading some more reviews I am starting to think a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS might be better value. also, Sumitomo HTRZ III look intereting as well.

If you have personal experience with these three tires, let me know what you think.

I found and researched this tire and also read the reviews and it looks like a great tire with a great price on www.tirerack.com
Ventus V12 evo K110 is Hankook's Max Performance Summer tire $199.00
Attached Thumbnails time for new summer rubber-hk_ventus_v12evo_ci2_l.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I'm riding Ventus V12 evo K110 is Hankook's Max Performance Summer tire and I love the ride and handling. I really push the corners now.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

although not listed, Id go with a high performance Bridgestone tire.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Just mounted a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760's on my 5 with the sports package. They're definitely quieter then the Pirellis Nero's I had previous to this set. The RE760's handle well but the sidewalls tend to roll over. Straight line feel is a bit numb. 275's in the rear look narrower then the Pirelli's, not sure if it's just my eyes but they sure look narrow! Took a trip up to NorCal from San Diego recently, these tires do not like cold and wet surfaces. Driving through the "Grapevine" was a bit spooky - no hydroplaning, just slippery. Dry traction is good.

Pirelli Nero's were good when new. As they got older, the tires began to cup and got REALLY noisy. Wet and dry traction was good. These tires actually last a good distance, I got nearly 20,000 miles on them (very good for me, most tires don't get past the 15,000 miles). Tires performed fairly well on the autocross course but over all the OEM Continental Sport Contact II's have been the best.

Continental Sport Contact II's came with the car. Thus far, these tires have been the best overall compromise (daily driver and autocross events). But these tires were expensive - I guess now I understand why. I have not had the opportunity to take the RE760's out on the autocross events yet. If I were to rank them, I'd say the Continentals first, followed by the RE760's then the Pirelli's. We don't have the harsh weather that some on this forum experience. If you live in an area with snow covered streets, I wouldn't go with the RE760's.

Keep the reviews coming! My tires don't last very long and I'll be looking for another set soon would love to get reviews from fellow e60 owners. Tires have different personalities on different cars. Hope my short write up helps!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Contributors

Michelin Pilots are the historical champs - if your budget permits. If you go the TireRack route check out the MrRebates link in my signature for additional savings.

PS - I went with General Exclaims UHP but will switch to my Original Bridgestone UHP RFT Summer tires when this darn snow and winter ends

Quick Reply: time for new summer rubber