E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Thinking of Dinan Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjinca
Let's be real, the 545 is worth MAYBE $15k today. If you are in the habit of spending money stupidly, then Dinan is the way to go. I, however, not being a moron, will not invest that much money (which adds little to no actual value to the car) for mods that can be had at half the price. With a 545 there is no warranty to worry about because almost nobody has one on their 545 at this point.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...p-dinan-42403/

My car is very heavily modded, and at no point will I spend more than 10% of the value. Somethings don't make sense. A Dinan S5 (E60 M5 version) produced 650 HP, but was it really worth the extra $80k in the price? Um, no.
Dinan also make suspension products, which are really relabeled KW's, only because they say "Dinan" on them BAM!!! They cost a few hundred more than KWs.
If you're the type of person that needs to spend $200 o jeans, then Dinan parts are for you. If you're the type that realizes there's many ways to improve performance without spending money like you wipe your ass with it, then maybe looking for reasonable equivalents is the way to go.
Umm ok. Do what you want.

Thanks for the link to a post from 2007.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Vapiano
Thanks jm 545i, this is the information that I am looking for. This will be my DD and I don't want to take it to the extreme. I am look for better performance, sound and throttle response. How do you like the strut braces?
I can't honestly say that I feel the difference, though I was assured that I do...! It's hard to tell as I never drove the car again without this or the other suspension mods, and I couldn't discern the separate impact of the strut braces in the midst of everything else

I will say this, the existing braces pretty much crumple into nothing when off the car, so one can imagine them not doing all that much when ON the car (though of course may be somewhat rigid against the forces they're asked to absorb when installed). They do look pretty cool.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Dinan 545i, Titanium Metallic Silver, 2007 Dinan M5, 6sp, Silver Gray Metallic

Originally Posted by pjinca
Very well stated points, and you are correct, we all (at least we should) mod to suit our own tastes. Good move getting the warranty. I apologize if I offended, just wasn't to pleased with the condescending tone of an earlier response.

I have owned 37 cars now (including 3 Honda Accords - 1 of which I raced on the SCCA), and modded all of them to varying degrees. I have always followed the philosophy of "value for performance", a lot of times the most expensive options look attractive and proven. However, there are many proven options out there that provide equal or better performance for better value. Most companies provide a warranty for their parts and most follow the same guidelines as Dinan: for BMW (or your warranty) to not cover something because of aftermarket parts they have to prove the aftermarket parts caused the problem.

BTW, outlet stores ROCK!!!
It's all good! I also have a connection as well that will assist with cutting down on some of the costs. That is a lot of cars!! I think I have owned 8 cars to this point.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vapiano
I bought the 545i because my Honda Accord was boring as hell!
Did the same exact thing. Never looked back!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 Dinan 545i, Titanium Metallic Silver, 2007 Dinan M5, 6sp, Silver Gray Metallic

Originally Posted by jm545i
I can't honestly say that I feel the difference, though I was assured that I do...! It's hard to tell as I never drove the car again without this or the other suspension mods, and I couldn't discern the separate impact of the strut braces in the midst of everything else

I will say this, the existing braces pretty much crumple into nothing when off the car, so one can imagine them not doing all that much when ON the car (though of course may be somewhat rigid against the forces they're asked to absorb when installed). They do look pretty cool.
I might have to look into getting a set of these, I have had them on past vehicles and they do seem to tighten things up a bit and help with turn in.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Members

And I've always followed a philosophy of "buy what I please" if it makes my driving time more enjoyable. I for one don't ever give two hoots about the "value" of a vehicle when I decide - my observation has been that a vehicle is a depreciating asset headed toward zero while I own it anyway, and mods generally don't bring dollar one at resale. Given that, an economic analysis would say that buying myself mod toys is not a lot different than buying a movie ticket. Moron? I think not.

I do care about the cost of what I want, what it changes and whether the difference is worth it to me spread over the miles I plan to drive. Case in point: the discussed-to-death Sprintbooster - after reading all the flaming BS on the internet, here was my analysis:

Do my e60s and my X5 have throttle lag? Absolutely YES, and it annoys me a lot.
Does a Sprintbooster fix that? YES
Do I like that change enough to pay the $300 it costs? YES
Do I give a damn that it doesn't add power, or do anything else? NOPE
End of analysis

So there you go - different strokes for different folks, etc. My suggestion would be go ahead and pick your own "philosophy", if that's what you want to call it, play with your car and have some fun.

For what it's worth, I haven't bought any of the Dinan stuff. When I've wanted something they had in their lineup, I've always been able to source an equivalent product for less from somewhere else. And I definitely like my strut braces a lot. Good luck.

Last edited by JWMich; 01-11-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JWMich
And I've always followed a philosophy of "buy what I please" if it makes my driving time more enjoyable. I for one don't ever give two hoots about the "value" of a vehicle when I decide - my observation has been that a vehicle is a depreciating asset headed toward zero while I own it anyway, and mods generally don't bring dollar one at resale. Given that, an economic analysis would say that buying myself mod toys is not a lot different than buying a movie ticket. Moron? I think not.

I do care about the cost of what I want, what it changes and whether the difference is worth it to me spread over the miles I plan to drive. Case in point: the discussed-to-death Sprintbooster - after reading all the flaming BS on the internet, here was my analysis:

End of analysis

So there you go - different strokes for different folks, etc. My suggestion would be go ahead and pick your own "philosophy", if that's what you want to call it, play with your car and have some fun.

For what it's worth, I haven't bought any of the Dinan stuff. When I've wanted something they had in their lineup, I've always been able to source an equivalent product for less from somewhere else. And I definitely like my strut braces a lot. Good luck.

JW,

Great assessment, driving pleasure has to be taken into consideration; there are so many small things that take place between the car and yourself when driving. I wish it had a tad bit more of this or less of that. I for one am very connected to my car when driving, it's an extension of us, kinda like the way your car feels after an oil change! You feel it as well. You get that Ahhhh feeling.

I read so many posts when I joined this forum last month regarding the Sprint Booster and feel the same way you do about it. After two weeks of using it, I turned it off and didn't like the response I was getting without it. I unequivocally think it's a well spent $300.

V
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

I wold definitely recommend the RPI Ram Air Induction and RPI exhaust. We carry those products. And for our in-house tunes, we can flash your ECU. Ends up cheaper than Dinan and way more power.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

End of analysis
In this case I agree with you about the Sprintbooster, we all know it adds zero power to the car, but it does have an impact on driveability (which to some may be more important). Also, the alternative to a Sprintbooster is an ECU tune, which also costs double, but provides additional benefits along with better throttle response. So I can see your point.

I also love my strut braces, especially the front one. I also didn't get Dinan ones. Instead I got ones from Ultra Racing for less than half the price and all the function. And your quote I cite is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. There are equal or better alternatives for less $$$ - John@Motorcepts is a perfect example, all his products offer good value for money.