E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

thinkin of tinting the windows all round, suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what percentage?

The m5 is tinted from factory, is that correct? IF so, what is its tint percentage?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 545

i would say ether 35% or 28% except for the back window which looks best at like 5% (limo)

this is 28%
Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributors

tint it as much as it it legally permisible. Although, If you're in US don't go so dark as to where cops will pull you over.

i used darkest BMW dealer installed tint possible for security purposes and also imo it looks awsome
Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i. Bluetooth upgrade, SS brake lines, iPod interface upgrade. Air intake kit, sport suspension, 20% tint. Other: 2001 Audi A4 Avant: S4 suspension, 20% tint, painted calipers, slotted rotors, iPod interface, custom grilles.

Originally Posted by barton2002
what percentage?

The m5 is tinted from factory, is that correct? IF so, what is its tint percentage?

Well, it depends on why you are tinting. However, tint in general is a must. Two things will improve the look of the car dramatically: tint and wheels.

If you're tinting for looks only, darker the better.
If you're tinting for heat blockage, darker the better.
If you're tinting for security reasons, darker the better.

If we take an average of those....the darker the better. Every state has different limits on how dark you can go. Any installer in your area will know, otherwise you can search google (http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/).

Most officers use their discretion. But...since you drive a BMW, most are not very forgiving. I've probably received over 10 tickets in my lifetime for tint (window and license plate covers). The most recent officer suggested as long as my front windows are easy to see through, an office probably won't pull me over due to their own protection.

Personally, I have 5% on my back window and 20% on the rest (except the front windows are tint free). I was concerned the front windows being tint free would look bad, but I actually like it. And...no tickets yet!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Members

haha, i agree darker the better. but i dont like not being able to see a thing at night. so is it better to have 35%?

does anyone have that on a jet black e60? can i please have some pics please?

btw, im in the UK, but since the police here r so quite cocky, imo, so i think i wont go for 20%....
Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Members

Quick question for some of you guys here that have gotten tickets for tint....I received a ticket about a week ago for tint and my court data is in almost a month. I got pulled over again today and was given another freaking ticket for tint even after I told the officer that I was just ticketed last week!! I was honestly expecting him to let me off since I was already made aware of this issue with my first ticket..Have any of you guys ever had that happen?

And the tint looks awesome by the way but I am honestly tired of getting tickets. I have a black car too so it look awful when I don't have tint. I feel as though I would almost rather trade the car in than take the tint off.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

I have 35% all around (except front windshield) on my black sapphire.. I like it a lot...although when I see darker like 20% I think it looks sweet...haven't had any tint tickets since getting it 2+ years ago
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Members

I have 35% tint. That was the lowest legally allowed in Colorado and I think it is about right. Darker may look nice during the day, but I think any darker than 35% and being able to see well at night would be hard at least in low light situations. In Las Vegas, you could probably see fine much lower.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Get 35%. If you go too dark it looks too drug-dealerish.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Members

My Ride: The UDM

I have had 20% tint all around for almost 2 years now. Best choice ever! Never got pulled over.

Quick Reply: thinkin of tinting the windows all round, suggestions please