E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

thickness of Sport steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

I have the sport steering wheel in heated version.

It seems that the heated version of sport steering wheel is marginally thicker than the non-heated version. Anyone ?
Old 12-05-2004, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Heated steering wheels are allways thicker. Not just the sports, also the regular one.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

well, the thicker the better
Old 12-05-2004, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Thickest is, AFAIK, heated sports steering wheel.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Contributors

of the M5 !
Old 12-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think the M5 steering wheel is thicker!
Old 12-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Contributors

that's why I did the

(only at the thumbie position)
Old 12-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

This explaines why my friends sport steering wheel is thinner, he hasn?t the heating on his. Not a big difference, but you notice it immediateky when you change between the two cars, that there is a difference.

Is it just me, or is there also a different setup of the AS/servotronic on the 535D, compared to my 545iA? The 535 was built in oct-04. Mine is jan-04.

My steering feels more boosted.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Contributors

@cidair,

It could have been be caused by other setup parameters or some different software update.

BTW I am still very happy I bought the (heated) sports steering wheel; it is with LOGIC7 and the panarama roof my most valuable option.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Originally Posted by mhoutman' date='Dec 5 2004, 04:41 AM
I have the sport steering wheel in heated version.

It seems that the heated version of sport steering wheel is marginally thicker than the non-heated version. Anyone ?
[snapback]64896[/snapback]
After originally posing the thickness question on this site a month ago, I finally had a chance to experience the heated vs my non-heated wheel side by side at a local dealer. It is a meaningful difference. I am told the cost of the Heated wheel alone from the dealer is approx. $500. Though a little pricey, it is probably a worthwhile upgrade if you can get the BCCA discount on parts that most dealers honor. I had my dealer research what parts are needed to install the actual heater/controller/switch as well. This adds another $300 to the equation. The only question remains if it can be done without problems, especially since the cars with cold weather package and ventilated comfort seats have it intentionally deleted. I am not sure if it is a cost saver or intention engineered solution.

Any thoughts???

Quick Reply: thickness of Sport steering wheel