E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

"test drove" the M5 cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007 | 05:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DINAN530i' post='411688' date='Apr 9 2007, 09:19 AM
does this reset the mileage?
Not sure what you mean by "does this reset the mileage" but just changing the instrument cluster or resetting the faults generated by changing the cluster does not reset the car's mileage. BMW has thought of that and that's why it is writting the mileage in the car in several memories. If the mileage in those memories does not match then the "red dot" appears on the instrument cluster.

That is why no US dealer will sell you an instrument cluster without signing a consent form that you will be responsible for setting it to the correct mileage. Of course instrument clusters can go bad and need to be replaced but the information on how to do it is somehow "guarded" as it can be used for illegally altering a car's mileage. That is why most people avoid publishing this info on the net.
Old 04-09-2007 | 05:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='411663' date='Apr 9 2007, 01:42 PM
WONDERFUL, tomorrow I will call the dealer to order it!

But gear ? Why there isn't ?

I need to see gears ...

And kms, it reset km to 0, as new car ?
This could be a problem : is there a solution ?

That is a problem for autos, but not for manual gearbox, given that I don't get any gearbox faults as my friend's steptronic does.

Startup check-up completed without faults or missing device messages, just only, when I'm pressing once DSC button, MDM light, comes up on cluster.
What is MDM "M5" guys ?
Old 04-09-2007 | 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='411696' date='Apr 9 2007, 09:58 AM
That is a problem for autos, but not for manual gearbox, given that I don't get any gearbox faults as my friend's steptronic does.

Startup check-up completed without faults or missing device messages, just only, when I'm pressing once DSC button, MDM light, comes up on cluster.
What is MDM "M5" guys ?
M Dynamic Mode (MDM) is introduced on the M5 and is similar to the M3 CSL M Track Mode. It allows the driver to reach the absolute limit of longitudinal and lateral acceleration at the touch of a button on the steering wheel (MDrive-button). The driver is informed of the M Dynamic function by a warning lamp on the instrument panel. Thankfully the driver also can choose to completely disactivate DSC. He is also informed of this by means of a warning lamp.
Old 04-09-2007 | 06:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='411699' date='Apr 9 2007, 05:08 PM
M Dynamic Mode (MDM) is introduced on the M5 and is similar to the M3 CSL M Track Mode. It allows the driver to reach the absolute limit of longitudinal and lateral acceleration at the touch of a button on the steering wheel (MDrive-button). The driver is informed of the M Dynamic function by a warning lamp on the instrument panel. Thankfully the driver also can choose to completely disactivate DSC. He is also informed of this by means of a warning lamp.
Thanks for detailed info!
So, it wouldn't work on mine
Old 04-09-2007 | 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='411701' date='Apr 9 2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for detailed info!
So, it wouldn't work on mine
Not unless you are up to another major M5 transplanting surgery.
New DSC with all sensors and then you will crave EDC and then SMG and the "M" button on the steering wheel. This is a very expensive road to follow.
Old 04-09-2007 | 06:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='411696' date='Apr 9 2007, 03:58 PM

What is MDM "M5" guys ?

Nick, I haven't understood : will I read 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 on the little screen, after encoding ?
Yes or not ?
If not, it is necessary to open the two clusters and replace the little screen in the M5 cluster with that of 545i .
Old 04-10-2007 | 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Update : BMW technician told me the better thing to do is unmount my cluster, try to open it watching if it would be possible to swap the center orange little screen .
After this, order the M5 cluster and verify if the orange M5 little screen displays SMG gears, like in the stock cluster .
If not, try to swap the orange little screen (putting the old one in the new M5 cluster) .

I will ask him if he could unmount an M5 cluster from an M5 and try to mount it on my 545i .

Another thing he told me is that in his opinion if he encodes new M5 cluster for my 545i, it will not possible to encode again on another E60 because it would remain related to my car (imho this is false, otherwise M5 cluster coming from M5 cars should be related to those M5 and no encodificable on others 5***) .

I don't know what I should do ... I will pass there to unmount my cluster at the end of April . And I will ask him to unmount a cluster from an M5 ...

On eBay there is an M5 cluster for 300 EUR :
http://cgi.ebay.it/BMW-M5-M6-E60-E-64-TACH...5QQcmdZViewItem

Who wants to try ?

nick, why you don't you try to encode it ?
Old 04-25-2007 | 12:45 AM
Members

If anyone success with this upgrade. Please post some update.
I also interested in doing this project.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2007 | 02:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HS_01' post='417567' date='Apr 25 2007, 10:45 AM

If anyone success with this upgrade. Please post some update.
I also interested in doing this project.

Thanks

HS, the problem is the orange little screen in the center of the cluster : does it displays the gear, 1, D1, N, R, etc.. ?
If yes we all will buy it ...

Someone like Nick has to go to the dealer to encode it, to relate it to the car : he has the cluster at home and he wants to install it permanently : I don't know why he is waiting for coding it ..
Old 04-25-2007 | 10:58 PM
Members

Alex,
How about the RPM, MPH, Mileage, Temperature, MPG, etc. If we encode it at the dealer, Is it going to work properly?

I'm not sure if we can replace the orange little screen. Well, worth of try.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: "test drove" the M5 cluster