E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Switching runflats with non-flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone changed out their runflats for non-runlats while keeping the OEM 18" wheels? If so, what tire did you choose?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Welcome dsms. Has been done by a number of people who disliked the ride or noise of the runs flats. I'm sure you'll get a number of recommendations as to specific tire brands. The rim has nothing to do with the run-flat tires, so putting regular tires on your OEM 18 inch rims is not a problem. Try a search or look in the FAQ section.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Agreed - I suggest reading reviews at tirerack.com.

I like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 the best, but others will recommend the Michelin Pilot Sports, the Bridgeston Pole Positions and others. In another couple thousand miles, I'll be moving to the Eagles.

In my experience, the Goodyears handle fantastic, are much more comfortable than the others, and don't tramline as much. I tried the S03 Pole Positions on my last car, and they squealed a lot on turns. Since I'm in Walnut Creek, too, you're likely driving on those very same on and off-ramps.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2005 5-series

I would recommend the Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico.

Tirerack.com has them for $228 ea. for 245/40YR18
as compared to OE Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST 'run flats' $259.

I had the PZero's on my Audi A6, same size tire and they are as quiet as the stock tires and they stick like you wouldn't believe. Only made them squeel once when I pushed the car hard into a turn, almost losing control. These tires lasting me 30,000 miles if you drive lightly on them since they are a soft compound. Don't believe others when they say they only lasted 15,000 miles. This would be true if you go to the track on the weekends as it would with any tire.

A second place contender is the Toyo Proxes T1-S.

There were the tires that replaced the PZero's and they were about 90% as good as the PZero's. They were a little more noisier and not as much grip both in dry and wet. But very close and about $30 cheaper per tire. It's your call.

review at: http://www.carreview.com/Tires/Toyo/...8_1577crx.aspx
Old 12-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by John W' date='Dec 22 2004, 12:03 PM
Agreed - I suggest reading reviews at tirerack.com.

I like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 the best, but others will recommend the Michelin Pilot Sports, the Bridgeston Pole Positions and others.? In another couple thousand miles, I'll be moving to the Eagles.

In my experience, the Goodyears handle fantastic, are much more comfortable than the others, and don't tramline as much.? I tried the S03 Pole Positions on my last car, and they squealed a lot on turns.? Since I'm in Walnut Creek, too, you're likely driving on those very same on and off-ramps.
[snapback]71517[/snapback]
Another Walnut Creek person here (I'll look for you on the road)...I wonder if anyone is having problems with the OEM runflats in terms of outside edge wear (feathering) leading to excessive road noise. I have 10k miles and significant noise and no allignment problems.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributors

There are lots of folks complaining about noise, though I'm not sure it's clear that it's not a. normal with age that all tires get louder and/or b. if you've got feathering - "normal" with BMWs, that will increase noise, too.

I don't personally find the Dunlop run-flats particularly noisy, but I do find them unacceptably stiff and harsh riding.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:50 PM

Does a full size front 18" wheel fit in the spare wheel well ??
Old 12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
JDN
Contributors

Not in the US. Where are you?
Old 12-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Contributors

JDN - you sure it wont fit? I was planning on buying a wheel and moving a run-flat to it as my new spare after replacement of the tires. It looks to me like it'd fit in the wheel well.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:48 PM
JDN
Contributors

Well, you have instilled a little doubt. I just measured my rears - not too accurately - and it would be a really tight squeeze in both directions, height and diameter. The donut doesn't seem to leave enough clearance in either direction for the 18" X 8 1/2" which appears to need 9-10" of clearance. To be sure, I guess you would need to take one off and see if you can pack it in. The donut sits on a piece of styrofoam which could be removed, but even then, it will very close. If I was contemplating such, I would take one off first and see if I could get it packed in there.

This would not work for me with staggered wheels, but if all of yours are the same size, you may be able to do it. Keep us posted or maybe there is someone out there who has done it.

Quick Reply: Switching runflats with non-flats