E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Supercharger for 545i/M5 E39

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my P-car VF SC is about 10K+labor. If SC for 545i is only 5K I'm also in for group buy. 50% less than SC for P-car that's a excellent deal. Consider the potential in subtantial HP gain for 5K. With all the upgrades this side of SC can climb up to 5K easily. I wish VF can lower their price on P-car so I can switch over to SC.

Gents, keep in mind that with SC upgrade you still need performance exhaust, chip tuning, brake/suspension upgrade to handle the xtra HP.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I'd be in for the group buy too if it was $5K but come on guys....do you think that's realistic considering the kit for the 645 is priced at $9K???
Old 11-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='359273' date='Nov 22 2006, 05:34 PM
I'd be in for the group buy too if it was $5K but come on guys....do you think that's realistic considering the kit for the 645 is priced at $9K???

I think it would be over $5k ... Perhaps ?5k .

Somebody send a mail and ask what would be the price for 5-10 kits .
And how many HP does the kit .
(around 500, ok, but 480 or 530 ?)
Old 11-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by daytrader0' post='359267' date='Nov 22 2006, 05:15 PM
Gents, keep in mind that with SC upgrade you still need performance exhaust, chip tuning, brake/suspension upgrade to handle the xtra HP.

Why exhaust ?
Imho only a new remap and M5 front brakes .
Suspensions .. The DDC, dynamic drive control, imho is enough .
Old 11-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='359319' date='Nov 22 2006, 09:57 PM
Why exhaust ?
Imho only a new remap and M5 front brakes .
Suspensions .. The DDC, dynamic drive control, imho is enough .
You will need a better exhaust flow after such a big mod on the engine. Because the supercharger pumps in more air that means more fuel will be burnt, and that means more gases, more gases need a biger volume of exhaust pipes. It's quite simple actually. Those things are studied and stock exhaust is designed specially for the standard volume of extake. Backpressure is the key element when studying an exhaust. If there is too much backpressure then there is more strain on the engine and power is lost, if there is too little then gases will not get out so quickly and instead they will build up in the exhaust and again stealing power from the engine and putting stress on it. I've seen not once, naive people that bought a completley new exhaust without knowing the application or data about it and without moding anything else on the car and when they dynoed it, the engine delivered less power. One could risk power loss by keeping the more restricitve standard exhaust, or even damage by the abnormal backpressure on the engine.

Upgrading only the front brakes is a wrong move if you ask me. Front and rear brakes work in tandem upon heavy braking and dsc/dtc aswell. Upgrading just the front may unballance the car, and the car WILL get more understeer while braking and turning in. At this level of power increase, upgrading the brakes is a must because it's useless not to mention dangerous to add this much power without improving the stopping power.

Suspension well probably here things remain a bit more relaxed, unless you track your car often, when coilovers+improved sway bars+struts are a must. Dynamic drive has a limit and unlike some people think it doesn't help cornering beyond the suspension ability. It will not do wonders and nor it will be as responsive as a tweaked suspension. I really don't know how much handling will be affected by adding this much power to the wheels, but in a way i don't wana find out , some ugly $hit can happen.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='359380' date='Nov 22 2006, 09:47 PM
You will need a better exhaust flow after such a big mod on the engine. Because the supercharger pumps in more air that means more fuel will be burnt, and that means more gases, more gases need a biger volume of exhaust pipes. It's quite simple actually. Those things are studied and stock exhaust is designed specially for the standard volume of extake. One could risk power loss by keeping the more restricitve standard exhaust, or even damage by the abnormal backpressure on the engine.

Upgrading only the front brakes is a wrong move if you ask me. Front and rear brakes work in tandem upon heavy braking and dsc/dtc aswell. Upgrading just the front may unballance the car, and the car WILL get more understeer while braking and turning in. At this level of power increase, upgrading the brakes is a must because it's useless not to mention dangerous to add this much power without improving the stopping power.

Suspension well probably here things remain a bit more relaxed, unless you track your car often, when coilovers+improved sway bars+struts are a must. Dynamic drive has a limit and unlike some people think it doesn't help cornering beyond the suspension ability. It will not do wonders and nor it will be as responsive as a tweaked suspension. I really don't know how much handling will be affected by adding this much power to the wheels, but in a way i don't wana find out , some ugly $hit can happen.

Better, do you think it would be possible to utilize all the 500-550 HP ?
As you speak, it seems you have to do a challenge, on the road .

Now I run highways at 145 kmh .. And I would continue to the same speed also with the kompressor .
Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='359380' date='Nov 22 2006, 09:47 PM
You will need a better exhaust flow after such a big mod on the engine. Because the supercharger pumps in more air that means more fuel will be burnt, and that means more gases, more gases need a biger volume of exhaust pipes. It's quite simple actually. Those things are studied and stock exhaust is designed specially for the standard volume of extake. One could risk power loss by keeping the more restricitve standard exhaust, or even damage by the abnormal backpressure on the engine.

I must say I agree with the above. All that extra horsepower begs some improvement on the brakes and chassis stability. Come to think of it though, a lot of members have gone for pretty hefty chip tuning on their 530D let alone the 535D - what's their conclusion - have they noticed a need for uprated brakes or chassis improvement ?
Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Members

Well done BetterMakeWay! I couldn't say it better. It's all common sense.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Members

Chip tuning, intake upgrade, free flow exhaust, these do not improve much in HP term. With the standard set up with OEM there is no need to get BIGGER brake or expensive suspension mode.

When you are talking big HP gains with SC then it's totally different ball game here. For sample, my P-car is a non Turbo with 325 HP the Porsche tech. had done there job to get the max out of the car. But if I put in a SC or Turbo system in my P-car the HP gains is subtantial higher @ 450-490 HP with that in mind my non Turbo can smoke Porsche Turbo 996. So the P-turbo provides bigger brakes, stiffer suspension to compensate the Xtra power.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='359385' date='Nov 23 2006, 12:53 AM
Better, do you think it would be possible to utilize all the 500-550 HP ?
Yes i do think it is possible to use them all. How many would reach the rims and how well will those be put down on the road i dunno but it sure will be fun.
As you speak, it seems you have to do a challenge, on the road .
That's all you can say?
Now I run highways at 145 kmh .. And I would continue to the same speed also with the kompressor .
So you're gona use the "non usable" 550bhp only for 0-145km/h? That's too hilarious.
PS: Be sure not to pass 2000rpms...
J/K why on earth would you bother at all then!?

Quick Reply: Supercharger for 545i/M5 E39