E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Summer Performance Tire Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by jasperxli
re-11 maybe the "replacement" but the re01s have a different tread pattern. as for price, YES its worth it. if you only get 15k it will be the best 15k miles you will ever drive IMO
That's just the kind of recommendation someone like myself can't help but love

But I'm still undecided on the money factor (naturally) and want to read up on DW's (haven't done any reading about them yet).

Thanks though! I do very much appreciate your input
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Contributors

yet another mod that v starts a thread about and doesnt actually end up buying anything lol
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
yet another mod that v starts a thread about and doesnt actually end up buying anything lol
Your inner troll is showing, E

Control your troll! LOL
Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Contributors

Here are the reviews for the Continental DW tires from tirerack.com - if anyone is interested.

These tires amaze me every day. For half the price of Michelin PS2's you get 95% of the performance with all other attributes similar. They do have softer sidewalls but as a trade off they are a lot lighter! Just make sure you bump the pressure up and you should be happy.
Even softer than an already soft'ish PS2 sidewalls - I was afraid of that.

Here's another interesting review from tirerack.com (this from a customer using DW's on a Z4 M Coupe):
I have 255/40 front, 285/35 18" tires on this car. Came from 35-45% worn PS2s on stock rims (1" narrower front and rear). Ride comfort and steering response I found to be identical to the PS2s, if not slightly better. I would rate noise level as identical or quieter than PS2s. Where with the PS2s I could get them to the edge of friction with some squealing on curvy mountain roads, I have not been able to get to that limit with these. I think it's partly because of my personal limits for driving on public roads, and the increased widths, but it may also be the tires themselves. The higher wear rating does not seem to have a negative affect on grip as far as I can tell. I have not experienced tram lining, pulling, or other aberrant tracking issues that are any different than any other tire I've had on any other car I've had. The reports of Conti's tramlining more than other brands is probably just people who have to drive a lot of roads with grooved pavement - in that surface, virtually any tire will tram line some. I have had these tires in the wet once, and not by choice. While I did not push them in the wet, the wet road performance was fine as can be. On the highway, I will say that the car with these tires created a huge wake of mist behind the car - perhaps the tires are really clearing a lot of water from the road surface as they roll (this is very, very subjective assessment....) They look great, very nice side wall, takes tire shine well (I just use basic old Armor All, no excessive build up on the tire...). I am quite happy with these tires. The only thing I cannot attest to yet is tire wear. Time will tell. A recommended alternative to the other Max performance tires available.

Here's a pretty bad review from a 2009 535i owner (so this is a lot more relevant to this forum than the previous ones):
This is my second review after driving on these tires for about 6 months and a little more than 6000 miles. The rear tires look like they are going to last only about 1/2 as long as the fronts. These tires ride fairly smoothly but the performance is only so so. The car has not felt as lively as I would like it to be, and certainly not as connected as my favorite PS2s. Driving is still good in the wet, but after the 6000 miles on them not quite as confident feeling. The tires still give my car an abrupt transition to oversteer in cornerning that is a little unnerving. The traction control light comes on just about everytime I am accelerating from a stop while turning and if you drive a BMW you know what that does to throttle response. I would not buy these tires again except for the fact that the fronts look like they will last at least twice as long as the rears. I guess I will have to purchase the same tires again to match up in about 6 months. Overall, I think I will get about 12,000 - 15,000 miles out of the rears, which is about average for tires in this category. This has been the norm for the last 3 BMWs I have owned. If you are looking for a comfortable cruiser, this tire is for you. If you are looking for driver's tire, you might want to look elsewhere.
Another pretty useful review, this time from a 535i Sport ownere:
I looked for a long time before making the decision on what tire to replace the original run flats that came on the car. On my last 2 BMW's I always went with Pilot sports and loved them. However, on this 535, I had a hard time swallowing the $1600 they were going to cost. I evaluated several different tires and eventually took a chance on these Extreme Contact DW's. I have to say that I am dissapointed in them as they don't have the control or ride of the Michellin tires. I live in a rural area in the mountains of North Georgia and speed limits are rather arbritrary and traffic is light. This gives me ample opportunities to run up some rather high speeds and in big sweeepers at 70 or 80 mph, these tires can have rather abrupt transitions to oversteer that is not too much fun. These tires do handle ok if you increase the air pressure a little more than what is suggested in the owner's manual, just not as well as the excellent Michelin Pilot Sports. On the plus side, the Continentals do ride much much better than the Dunlop run flats did that came on the car, and are much better in the rain as well. I did save nearly 800 dollars by going with these Conti's but the jury is still out as to whether I will be completely satisfied with them. For a more average speed driver, these tires will probably be wonderful. I think I have just been spoiled by Michelin Pilot Sports.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by poleposition
Continental Extreme Contact DW

I use them on the M. Ranked just as good if not better than the PS2's in every category. Less expensive. I highly recommend them V.
The Contact DW is an overall great tire. It has great wet weather traction, above average dry weather tracting, great comfort and a great price; however, according to Tire Rack, when it comes to performance it is no match for the PS2. Corner stability, steering response, and dry weather traction are the key categories for driving performance.

Tire Rack Comparison
Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
The Contact DW is an overall great tire. It has great wet weather traction, above average dry weather tracting, great comfort and a great price; however, according to Tire Rack, when it comes to performance it is no match for the PS2. Corner stability, steering response, and dry weather traction are the key categories for driving performance.

Tire Rack Comparison
Thanks for the input! From what I gather, DW is a great tire for cruising and mild autoX.

Sorry, I couldn't get the tirerack comparison in your link to work. I do understand the pluses and minuses more or less by now. And DW's rating is just OUT OF THIS WORLD.

But I have to say, for now I'm leaning toward the Falkens - the price and the stiff sidewalls are winning me over, the more I read about "soft" sidewalls on DW's. RE-11's appear to be a great "semi-track" tire, but they are still really expensive IMO.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Contributors

This is the current rating averages by category for the FK452's.
(I am paying special attention to "Dry" and "Handling" categories)
Summer Performance Tire Decisions-falken-fk452-avg-reviews-1010tires.png

However, the reviews for Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's look much better:
Summer Performance Tire Decisions-hankook-v112-avg-reviews-1010tires.png

Of course, RE-11's are apparently almost a whole level above.
I'd imagine there's a huge difference between a 5 and a 4.5 in this category tire
Summer Performance Tire Decisions-bridgestone-re-11-avg-reviews-1010tires.png

And then there's this - the Nitto NT05. Rated high, pretty affordable. Unfortunately, only 3 people reviewed this tire on 1010tires, so this graphic is not extremely useful.
Summer Performance Tire Decisions-nitto-nt05-avg-reviews-1010tires.png

But it is almost a race slick:
Summer Performance Tire Decisions-nitto-nt05-pic.png

CHECK OUT THIS TREAD PATTERN! IT IS INSANE!

Trouble is, there aren't too many reviews of the NT05 on 1010tires.com, but I've been able to find a few threads from enthusiasts and they seem to be a great track tire. Not that I'm planning to do any track time but ultimate handling is definitely something of a plus at this price point. Wet performance is still questionable - not too many people talk about it in much detail. Not in a context of a near-torrential downpours we can sometimes experience on the East Coast. Tread life is also something I'd like to know more about - at least it is not the worst. It is also reportedly very quiet and comfort is not terrible - even though a lot of BMW drivers seem to compare the stiffness of the sidewalls to the OEM RFT RE050's.
Pretty decent NT05 write-up
Another review of NT05 from the planet-9.com forums

Here's a nice one of the NT05:
I have now 5,000 miles on these tires (including 3 track days). If you are looking for a tire which brings you to and from the track and then delivers on the track, look no further. They are great on the street and on the track, no idea about wet handling - I live in California... In Thunderhill (CCW) I was able to come within .5 seconds / lap to last year's laptimes on Victoracers V700! The tires handle great and predictable and as long as you watch the tire pressure they will not go out on you in the middle of the session (After lot of experimenting I ended up running 29/34 cold). Don't over-inflate them they don't like that. My ONLY concern is how quickly they wear: After 5,000 miles the rears are already below the wear markers and the fronts are just a little better. It seems to me that my Victoracers lasted longer than that ;-)
Best deal I've found on NT05's tonight.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Contributors

jesus christ V, just buy the fuckin 452s and stop making these erroneous threads lol

talk talk talk talk talk talk talk, just buy what you knew you were already going to buy, the 452s. I know its what you were going to buy because they are good tires that are super cheap.

/thread
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

The Falken 452 are heavy, well all falkens are. If you dont mind the weight get the Azenis 615. Other than that Hankooks are the real deal weight, performance, wear and price.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
jesus christ V, just buy the fuckin 452s and stop making these erroneous threads lol

talk talk talk talk talk talk talk, just buy what you knew you were already going to buy, the 452s. I know its what you were going to buy because they are good tires that are super cheap.

/thread
STFU you falken troll! I'm doing smth important here

Besides, I've compiled all these reviews in this thread for a reason. And it is looking like that reason will be Nitto NT05's...

Quick Reply: Summer Performance Tire Decisions