E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Summer Performance Tire Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Starting to look at summer performance tires for my BBS's. I am between Falken FK 452 and Bridgestone RE-11 tires. My foremost goal is, of course, to maximize the car's performance, but there are pluses and minuses for either tire. The bottom line would probably be best surmised as: are Bridgestones worth the extra dough?

Just some of the downsides to Bridgestones: not good in wet, expensive, shorter lifespan. Falkens, on the other hand, probably would not have the raw adhesion levels of a semi-slick tire, like the RE-11. Falkens are reported to be noisy. They do seem to have a somewhat better expected lifespan (even for the simple reason that they are not directional and allow greater freedom when rotating) and track fairly well in the wet. RE-11's aren't much to talk about in the rain - most people say "get off the road when it rains". I don't want to be grounded by a tire, that cannot handle some rain. On the other hand, of course I don't want to have a noisy tire - seems to be one of the biggest gripes from owners after 10k miles.

Here are pics of both tires:
Bridgestone RE-11

Tirerack ratings

Falken FK 452

1010tires.com reviews and ratings

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about either of these tires? Or maybe suggest a tire that has worked well for you in the past - go right ahead! I'd love to look into other alternatives. I do prefer a stiffer sidewall - hence my choice of Falkens over the Hankooks. But you're more than welcome to add to this thread, please!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Continental Extreme Contact DW

I use them on the M. Ranked just as good if not better than the PS2's in every category. Less expensive. I highly recommend them V.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by poleposition

I use them on the M. Ranked just as good if not better than the PS2's in every category. Less expensive. I highly recommend them V.
Thanks K! Definitely a tire that crossed my mind several times. And like you said, rated up there with PS2 and way less money.

I have the DWS Contis as my "winter/wet" set and I love them! but with the DW ones I was concerned that - much like most Contis and the PS2's - the sidewalls might be too soft. Since I don't have M suspension, I don't really know if I can afford to risk having yielding sidewalls. I am planning to swap the suspension soon for H&R sport springs and Bilsein B8 dampers, but it will still retain the non-sport roll bars and so on. I basically want to be able to squeeze as much lateral grip out of the dry setup as possible with this car.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Starting to look at summer performance tires for my BBS's. I am between Falken FK 452 and Bridgestone RE-11 tires. My foremost goal is, of course, to maximize the car's performance, but there are pluses and minuses for either tire. The bottom line would probably be best surmised as: are Bridgestones worth the extra dough?

Just some of the downsides to Bridgestones: not good in wet, expensive, shorter lifespan. Falkens, on the other hand, probably would not have the raw adhesion levels of a semi-slick tire, like the RE-11. Falkens are reported to be noisy. They do seem to have a somewhat better expected lifespan (even for the simple reason that they are not directional and allow greater freedom when rotating) and track fairly well in the wet. RE-11's aren't much to talk about in the rain - most people say "get off the road when it rains". I don't want to be grounded by a tire, that cannot handle some rain. On the other hand, of course I don't want to have a noisy tire - seems to be one of the biggest gripes from owners after 10k miles.

Here are pics of both tires:
Bridgestone RE-11

Tirerack ratings

Falken FK 452

1010tires.com reviews and ratings

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about either of these tires? Or maybe suggest a tire that has worked well for you in the past - go right ahead! I'd love to look into other alternatives. I do prefer a stiffer sidewall - hence my choice of Falkens over the Hankooks. But you're more than welcome to add to this thread, please!

I've had Falkens on both my BMW (currently 452's) and Audi and I love them. I had the Falken ST115's previously and I felt their section width didnt really protect the rim. Their section width was less then a Goodyear or Michiellin in the same sized tire, other than that the Azenis ST115's were a good tire. Something I believe they fixed with the 452's. Plently of grip both dry and wet, they last (fronts 2 years already)and they are reasonably priced. I havent noticed any unusual road noise, so your good there. Order from Discounttiredirect.com as they usually have the best prices as well.

Good luck, I think you'll be happy with Falkens
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I got Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (245/35F 285/30R) to replace Falken 452s (245/35F 275/30R) which lasted 31,000 miles.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

bridgestones hands down. if your looking for stiff sidewalls, bridgestones have got them! i only wish they didnt discontinue re-01s
Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Contributors

i love my 452s

ill buy them again
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 e90 M3 AW / Black Akrapovic Evolution exhaust | BBS LM 20x9, 20x10 | KW v3 | Vorsteiner GTS3 front bumper, rear diffuser, cf bootlid | RPI scoops | AIB v3 | BMW performance grilles | AIB v3 2007 530i - SOLD Silver Gray/Black Dakota Step | Sport | Premium | Nav | Logic 7 | Sunshades EXTERIOR: OEM M-Tech front & sides| OEM M5 rear bumper, mirrors & trunk finisher | Vorsteiner rear decklid spoiler WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Enkreuz H8R 20x9, 20x10.5 Continental Extreme Contact DW 245/30/20, 275/30/20 KW Street Comfort coilovers BRAKES: Stoptech BBK ST-60 calipers, 380 mm (fr) rotors ST-40 calipers, 355 mm (r) rotors PERFORMANCE: RDSport quad exhaust | RPI scoop LIGHTING: LCI Euro tails | 6000k headlights | 6000k HID fogs| MTEC V2 Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by poleposition

+1 also on my M - I have also ran the FK452, Ventus V12, Invo, PS2, T1Rs etc.. and for me, these are up there with the Michelin
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IceyTys
I've had Falkens on both my BMW (currently 452's) and Audi and I love them. I had the Falken ST115's previously and I felt their section width didnt really protect the rim. Their section width was less then a Goodyear or Michiellin in the same sized tire, other than that the Azenis ST115's were a good tire. Something I believe they fixed with the 452's. Plently of grip both dry and wet, they last (fronts 2 years already)and they are reasonably priced. I havent noticed any unusual road noise, so your good there. Order from Discounttiredirect.com as they usually have the best prices as well.

Good luck, I think you'll be happy with Falkens
Think so? I'm becoming more and more curious about those DW's as well. Going to read up on them and will post anything that's worthy. They might be a little more expensive than the Falkens, but their ratings are through the roof. And Poleposition know tha fugg he's talking about too, so that was one recommendation that definitely got me thinking about them seriously.

That said, I thank you very much for your input - especially, the tip on how to score a good price

Originally Posted by Rizbel
I got Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (245/35F 285/30R) to replace Falken 452s (245/35F 275/30R) which lasted 31,000 miles.
31k ain't bad for a summer high perf. tire IMHO

Did you get Hankook "just to try" or there was actually a reason you didn't go for another set of 452's?

Originally Posted by jasperxli
bridgestones hands down. if your looking for stiff sidewalls, bridgestones have got them! i only wish they didnt discontinue re-01s
RE-11 is the replacement of RE-01. But yes, I've read it in several places that people with Bridgestone never discontinued the 01's. Guess my biggest dilemma still remains: are they worth the extra 300-400 bucks. I hear most people don't get more than 15k miles out of them.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
i love my 452s

ill buy them again
So they are a pretty round tire? I thought they were more "square'ish"...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Originally Posted by v_therussian
RE-11 is the replacement of RE-01. But yes, I've read it in several places that people with Bridgestone never discontinued the 01's. Guess my biggest dilemma still remains: are they worth the extra 300-400 bucks. I hear most people don't get more than 15k miles out of them.
re-11 maybe the "replacement" but the re01s have a different tread pattern. as for price, YES its worth it. if you only get 15k it will be the best 15k miles you will ever drive IMO

Quick Reply: Summer Performance Tire Decisions