E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Subwoofer stereo install 2006 e60

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the basic stereo in my 2006 530i. I wanted to hook up some of my old subwoofers from my previous truck in the car, but not sure if it is possible with the iDrive. I am not sure how to work around fiber optics, if thats what my car has....is there a module or something. I know that if I even get this far, I'll need an EQ to fine tune the signal coming from the head unit/iDrive. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

think most members just tap into the amp in the boot using a line converter
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by JHJenkins4th' post='955766' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:50 PM
I have the basic stereo in my 2006 530i. I wanted to hook up some of my old subwoofers from my previous truck in the car, but not sure if it is possible with the iDrive. I am not sure how to work around fiber optics, if thats what my car has....is there a module or something. I know that if I even get this far, I'll need an EQ to fine tune the signal coming from the head unit/iDrive. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

I see 2 adds for an online stereo company right inside your post. Are you affiliated with " dealer cost car audio.com " ?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='956090' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:17 PM
I see 2 adds for an online stereo company right inside your post. Are you affiliated with " dealer cost car audio.com " ?

Sorry I asked you that question, it is just that it is your first post and you asked a stereo question with a stereo add in the post. I think Google ads must have used an algorithm to put that stereo add in your post. My reply to your question is that the only thing optical in your car is the audio data, the speakers are still wired to an amplifier and therefore aftermarket amps can be added no problem. Most people just add a subwoofer and amp using a high to low converter. More advanced systems use sound processors with signal summing, but also are adding amps for the interior speakers as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='956182' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry I asked you that question, it is just that it is your first post and you asked a stereo question with a stereo add in the post. I think Google ads must have used an algorithm to put that stereo add in your post. My reply to your question is that the only thing optical in your car is the audio data, the speakers are still wired to an amplifier and therefore aftermarket amps can be added no problem. Most people just add a subwoofer and amp using a high to low converter. More advanced systems use sound processors with signal summing, but also are adding amps for the interior speakers as well.

It?s ok. No I'm not affiliated with any company. I don't have a clue how those ads got there....I guess the organization for this website strategically places ads to help make $ to support this site.

Thanks for the advice. I want to run a 2200watt amp, and I know I have to run RCA jacks one way or another.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Members

I just looked up what a high to low converter was and that looks like the answer. Any sugguestions on an EQ to use and configuration?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Members

How do I get my remote signal for the Hi-to-Low converter, EQ, and amplifier? Does the iDrive atleast have a way to connect a remote line? (the signal that tells the amp or other modules to turn on and off with the car so not to drain the battery)
Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JHJenkins4th' post='968539' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:17 AM
How do I get my remote signal for the Hi-to-Low converter, EQ, and amplifier? Does the iDrive atleast have a way to connect a remote line? (the signal that tells the amp or other modules to turn on and off with the car so not to drain the battery)

There is no remote turn on wire on L7 cars ( with optical input amp ). You can use a converter that generates a turn on wire ( signal sensing ) which are available from PAC. I have not personally tried the REQ-3 but if you want some EQ features it looks like it would be a good way to go for your sub install.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='969988' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:02 AM
There is no remote turn on wire on L7 cars ( with optical input amp ). You can use a converter that generates a turn on wire ( signal sensing ) which are available from PAC. I have not personally tried the REQ-3 but if you want some EQ features it looks like it would be a good way to go for your sub install.
What's PAC's website?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver Grey 2007 530i

Originally Posted by JHJenkins4th' post='971168' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:41 AM
What's PAC's website?

http://www.pac-audio.com/

Quick Reply: Subwoofer stereo install 2006 e60