E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Style 166 M5 rims for 545 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Hey Guys,

I searched around and didn't find this talked about too much in the forums here to my surprise. I'm thinking to swap out my 124 rims and get the style 166 rims on my 545 sport probably by this summer. I hate the runflats and want some real tires so while getting new tires I might aswell get new rims. One thing that's bugging me is the offsets -- of which I don't understand. So if anyone is a wheel/rim/tire pro I'd appreciate your feedback. I've set a similiar inquiry to tirerack to see what they think too.

The stock 545 sport setup is such:
Front: 18x8 rim with an offset of 20 and tires 245/40-18
Rear: 18x9 rim with an offset of 32 and tires 275/35-18

The style166 M5 rims are:
Front: 19x8.5 with an offset of 12
Rear: 19x9.5 with an offset of 28

My goal is to get the largest tire width possible without affecting the speedometer too much, not rubbing, filling the wheel well, and most importantly without changing the ride height. I've noticed some people who upgraded their rims to larger ones.. the distance between the top of the fender and the tire looked to have increased so much resulting in them having to lower the cars suspension which is something I want to avoid.

Truthfully, I am confused about the offsets. To make this upsizing question perhaps a little easier.. on my current setup I am running 10mm spacers in the front and 20mm spacers in the rear with no rubbbing or any issues. I guess with the spacers that technically makes the offset 30 front and 52 rear on my current setup or would it be 10 front and 12 rear? Do spacers add or subtract from the offset? I'm not sure how that works...

Anyway, first I was thinking WIDE, so I could get 255/35-19 tires for the front and 295/30-19 tires for the rear but that might be a tight fit. It also increases the wheel radius by 0.3" in the front and 0.4" in the back which I think makes the entire car rise by that much. However, doesnt it "fill-in" the wheel well better -- meaning the space inbetween the top of the fender and the tire is smaller? I want that look but I don't want the ride height to increase. I think what I'm asking for might be impossible.

The other choice which probably makes more sense is to get 245/35-19 tires for the front and 285/30-19 tires for the rear. With this setup the radius inreases by 0.1" and the speedo difference is nearly nil. I think with this setup the car would look the same as it does now only with bigger rims and even lower profile tires. It wouldn't raise the car overall by as much (0.1") so I think that's better. The distance between the wheel well and the tire would remain very similiar also .. definitly not increase, right?

So what I'm worried about is the offset and also properly filling the wheel well so the space between the top of the fender and the tire is minimized resulting in not having to lower the car. Also it seems like the front rims offset might make the rim stick out too much while the rear is OK. I'm not sure about that. Has anyone gotten these rims? If so, what tire cominations did you get?

Thanks for reading this far any feedback!

Mark
Old 01-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

my 2 cents on the offsets:

your current setup:

124 with 8j ET 20 at the front + 10 mm spacer on each side (total 20 mm front) and
124 with 9j ET 32 in the rear + 20 mm (total 40 mm rear) spacer on each side.

With the above setup, your wheels stick out (including the correction of 24 mm as the rear axis is 24mm less wider than the front axis):
front: 3,6 inches
rear: 3,55 inches

With the new setup of 166 wheels, the wheels will stick out (including the 24 mm correction):
front: 3,77 inches
rear: 3,11 inches

As you can see, the front will be sticking out by 0,17 inches more than your current setup with 10mm spacer! As for the rear, because of the setup, your rear will be lagging the current setup by 0,44 inches. To compensate for this, you will need 15 mm spacers on each side in the rear. Now, this would mean that your wheels will be sticking out by about 0,2 inches compared to your current setup in the rear - are there 0,2 inches space in your current setup?

i am sorry, if my message across to you is this confusing.

hope i was of some help

greetinz from austria

rumman
Old 01-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

How do you make these calculations? You say the front sticks out 3.6" but from what point? From the point where the rim is mounted? Also where does this 24mm correction come from? I knew the fronts would stick out more based on some previous posts I read but I didnt know it would be that much more. Has me worried..

Thanks for all the help. I know we have some smart folks here who try their best to help us less fortunate hehe.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Contributors

the 24 mm correction comes from the bmw manual - check it out, you will see that there.

//just checked the manual, does not say there - i don't know where i have this number but i have read it in other forums too, and also looks like it. with my 135 on my car now, my front stick out by about 12 mm on each side, people on the forum have also confirmed that they need something like 15 mm spacers in the rear so that the looks looked balanced. in fact, you will even find spacers with 12 mm for each side - seems like a magical number

And all the measurements were from off the hub where you mount the wheels. You see the real issue is that the offset of the rear is not as much as the offset of the front, even though the offset numbers at the front is less than at the rear - you see, you subtract the offset, therefore the less your offset is, the more it sticks out from the hub..

hope you know what i mean. Did i assume right when i said, your spacers were always given for each side and not given as the total for the front and rear respectively?

sorry for the confusion...

greetinz from austria

rumman
Old 01-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yes you are right, it was 10mm front on each side and 20mm rear on each side. Well this is very strange then I will have to look into it some more. I am not worried about spacers in the rear to make them match the fronts. I am increasingly worried about the front sticking out too much. As they are now with my 10mm spacers they are pretty flush along with the wheel well. Another 5 mm might be OK but the rims might stick out completely and I don't want to be rolling like a gangster. LOL.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='224699' date='Jan 15 2006, 10:47 PM
Yes you are right, it was 10mm front on each side and 20mm rear on each side. Well this is very strange then I will have to look into it some more. I am not worried about spacers in the rear to make them match the fronts. I am increasingly worried about the front sticking out too much. As they are now with my 10mm spacers they are pretty flush along with the wheel well. Another 5 mm might be OK but the rims might stick out completely and I don't want to be rolling like a gangster. LOL.
because of the little offset at the front, which causes the wheels to stick out more, these wheels are not allowed on the e60 by bmw in germany or austria. but then again, remember, there have been threads on this forum where people claimed one can not fit m5 bumpers on to an ordinary e60 as the m5 is slightly wider and therefore the bumpers are also wider -> this would make sense why bmw have wheels for the m5 that stick out that much, simply because the body is wider in the m5.

and the best is, you would think with 275 in the rear and the 245 at the front, you should have a more alligned look but exactly that is where the higher offset at the rear messes up the look - in fact, even though you have the 275 in the rear, teh front with only 245 will stick out much more than the rear with the 275...

this is my favourite link (something that i have even bookmarked ) on offsets:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...32&#entry186832

in your case, what you would do is take the value you have for "distance outward from hub" and add 10mm for the front or add 20 mm for the rear to get the total distance outward from the hub.

you see, i have spent 3-4 days trying to figure out whether i want the 166 and i myself did a lot of calculations, but then when i went to germany yesterday to pick up my new summer set, i decided to go for the 172 in the last second as techincally speaking they are legal over here whereas the 166 are not as bmw have not permitted them to be used on our cars. I was told by my dealer, if there were any warranty issues on my axles and i had the 166 on, bmw "might" not pay the repair charges...

anyway, hope i was of some help

greetinz from austria

rumman
Old 01-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

I've saved that thread.. its awesome!

About the rims being illegal? Wow hmm... I don't think we have any laws like that here in America.. surprisingly! I was searching this afternoon and found this AWESOME thread. I also found a thread of these rims installed on an E60 that looked pretty bad but the fellow had an XI model which is a whole other story. This one looks pretty damn good:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...89&#entry149789

He got the 166 rims on his car with 245/35-19 front and 275/30-19 rear. The fronts look fine (my worry is now gone) and for the rear I think I can fit 285/30-19 right? He doesnt mention spacers and even the rears look fine (not stuck in too far).. hrmm...
Old 01-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='224654' date='Jan 15 2006, 02:49 PM
Hey Guys,

I searched around and didn't find this talked about too much in the forums here to my surprise. I'm thinking to swap out my 124 rims and get the style 166 rims on my 545 sport probably by this summer. I hate the runflats and want some real tires so while getting new tires I might aswell get new rims. One thing that's bugging me is the offsets -- of which I don't understand. So if anyone is a wheel/rim/tire pro I'd appreciate your feedback. I've set a similiar inquiry to tirerack to see what they think too.

The stock 545 sport setup is such:
Front: 18x8 rim with an offset of 20 and tires 245/40-18
Rear: 18x9 rim with an offset of 32 and tires 275/35-18

The style166 M5 rims are:
Front: 19x8.5 with an offset of 12
Rear: 19x9.5 with an offset of 28

My goal is to get the largest tire width possible without affecting the speedometer too much, not rubbing, filling the wheel well, and most importantly without changing the ride height. I've noticed some people who upgraded their rims to larger ones.. the distance between the top of the fender and the tire looked to have increased so much resulting in them having to lower the cars suspension which is something I want to avoid.

Truthfully, I am confused about the offsets. To make this upsizing question perhaps a little easier.. on my current setup I am running 10mm spacers in the front and 20mm spacers in the rear with no rubbbing or any issues. I guess with the spacers that technically makes the offset 30 front and 52 rear on my current setup or would it be 10 front and 12 rear? Do spacers add or subtract from the offset? I'm not sure how that works...

Anyway, first I was thinking WIDE, so I could get 255/35-19 tires for the front and 295/30-19 tires for the rear but that might be a tight fit. It also increases the wheel radius by 0.3" in the front and 0.4" in the back which I think makes the entire car rise by that much. However, doesnt it "fill-in" the wheel well better -- meaning the space inbetween the top of the fender and the tire is smaller? I want that look but I don't want the ride height to increase. I think what I'm asking for might be impossible.

The other choice which probably makes more sense is to get 245/35-19 tires for the front and 285/30-19 tires for the rear. With this setup the radius inreases by 0.1" and the speedo difference is nearly nil. I think with this setup the car would look the same as it does now only with bigger rims and even lower profile tires. It wouldn't raise the car overall by as much (0.1") so I think that's better. The distance between the wheel well and the tire would remain very similiar also .. definitly not increase, right?

So what I'm worried about is the offset and also properly filling the wheel well so the space between the top of the fender and the tire is minimized resulting in not having to lower the car. Also it seems like the front rims offset might make the rim stick out too much while the rear is OK. I'm not sure about that. Has anyone gotten these rims? If so, what tire cominations did you get?

Thanks for reading this far any feedback!

Mark
Hi Mark:

I wish I could help, but I am not really a wheel guy. But, .... First, I don't know if 285 X 30-19's will work, and I'm not sure what tire comes in this size. One thing you can do is go to tirerack.com and, first, save your car. Then, you can use the tire and wheel links to find out specifically what will work on your car. But, up front, I can tell you that the Tire Rack alternative to factory will be 275 X 30-19's. Check out my car in the gallery using the second mind-candy link in my sig. It probably is one that you think too much in between shows, but it does represent factory spec in 19's. Check out this link for the biggest tires that will fit. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:39 PM
IMU
Contributors

Mark,

I had 166s fitted recently, and a little debate ensued about 285 rears, see here
Old 01-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='224727' date='Jan 15 2006, 11:32 PM
I've saved that thread.. its awesome!

About the rims being illegal? Wow hmm... I don't think we have any laws like that here in America.. surprisingly! I was searching this afternoon and found this AWESOME thread. I also found a thread of these rims installed on an E60 that looked pretty bad but the fellow had an XI model which is a whole other story. This one looks pretty damn good:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...89&#entry149789

He got the 166 rims on his car with 245/35-19 front and 275/30-19 rear. The fronts look fine (my worry is now gone) and for the rear I think I can fit 285/30-19 right? He doesnt mention spacers and even the rears look fine (not stuck in too far).. hrmm...
you are right, you guys have no such issues - here in europe, we even get told which tires we should put on. for example, 275 is only allowed on 19" on the e60 - all this is listed in our official car ownership papers.

i am well impressed of the photos from that link, as i have seen other photos that were not that nice.

question: what difference does a 285 make vs. a 275 if you put both tires on a wheel that is 9,5" wide? would the 285 make it stick out more? i am not sure, but i dont think so...

and you are right, i don't think he has spacers, and i think it fills th rear pretty well. Remember my calculations above, the 166 rear stick out as they are (without spacers) an inch more than the 124s you have. but, (there is always a but), take a look at picture from the rear and you will notice that the rear is not alligned with the front...

greetinz

rumman

Quick Reply: Style 166 M5 rims for 545 Sport