E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Stupid roundel question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid roundel question....

Ok, so I had to replace my front roundel and a forum member was nice enough to send me one with grommets. Now I can't get it to sit flush. I tried to push and pound (gently with the palm of my hand) but no luck. It will not sit flush. It isn't horribly sticking out but there is definitely some play. I suppose I could put some adhesive on the back to make sure it doesn't come off but I would really like it to seat properly.

Any ideas?

I thought this would be simpler.....

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

remove the 2 pins and just use 3M double sided tape?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

or remove the grommets, leave the pin and use 3M double sided tape?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ccrellin
Ok, so I had to replace my front roundel and a forum member was nice enough to send me one with grommets. Now I can't get it to sit flush. I tried to push and pound (gently with the palm of my hand) but no luck. It will not sit flush. It isn't horribly sticking out but there is definitely some play. I suppose I could put some adhesive on the back to make sure it doesn't come off but I would really like it to seat properly.
Any ideas?
I thought this would be simpler.....
Thanks!
Chris, Is it possible that whatever hit your hood roundel also caused a slight imperfection where it has to sit flush? I've replaced many a worn-out or chipped hood roundels with both factory original and aftermarket without the problem you've described. If you decide to use tape, remember that has a thickness too and might raise the roundel a bit.

As an alternative I suggest cleaning both mating surfaces with denatured (rubbing) alcohol, putting down a few dabs of clear silicone sealer and refitting the roundel as tightly as you can - securing it with some painter's tape until the silicone dries.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Chris, Is it possible that whatever hit your hood roundel also caused a slight imperfection where it has to sit flush? I've replaced many a worn-out or chipped hood roundels with both factory original and aftermarket without the problem you've described. If you decide to use tape, remember that has a thickness too and might raise the roundel a bit.

As an alternative I suggest cleaning both mating surfaces with denatured (rubbing) alcohol, putting down a few dabs of clear silicone sealer and refitting the roundel as tightly as you can - securing it with some painter's tape until the silicone dries.
I think this is going to be the best option! I am going to wait for the 5" of snow we are supposed to get this week to do it but I will clean the area and use some silicone...

Thanks everybody!!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by ccrellin
I am going to wait for the 5" of snow we are supposed to get this week to do it but I will clean the area and use some silicone...
Thanks for reminding me why I moved the H-E-double hockey sticks out of there. Good luck with your Roundel. If the panel isn't damaged, you don't have the grommets fully seated in the openings. There should be absolutely no need to use tape or any other adhesive.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KyleB
Thanks for reminding me why I moved the H-E-double hockey sticks out of there. Good luck with your Roundel. If the panel isn't damaged, you don't have the grommets fully seated in the openings. There should be absolutely no need to use tape or any other adhesive.
Kyle is 200% correct. You can tap them down to be sure they are fully seated before you pop the Roundel on. (Unless the underlying panel has been 'bent')