E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Stupid CupHolder

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys

if i needed a bottle of water i'd put in the door compartment or glove box, just don't get the whole cuphoder thing

jonboy
Old 04-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Geez, I hate the cupholder topic. Totally seems like a friggin Roadfly debate. Then it USUALLY gets into a U.S. vs. Euro point of view debate.

Bottom line, cup holders are in the car. So they should have been made up to BMW standards.

When you have an open can of Coke or a fountain soda, there's no putting anything in the glove box or in the footwell. I'm no fan of those things, but my wife invariably insists on something like that on a long trip. And if you're married, you know that it pays to keep them happy.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

ADMIN, LOCK THIS THREAD NOW
Old 04-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Why? No profanity was used. I'm just waiting for someone to bring up the other "stale" topic (Bangle). The original post about it being broken is topical, but getting into the "can't believe there are cupholders in a driver's car" thing is beyond played out. It's all about the quality if what IS in the car.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

i like the cupholders... they hold a standard bottle of water

only problem i have is that they are too large: i drink only espresso and the little cups at the motorway Costa's just fall through!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Members

I recently had a friend jump in my car, place one of the new small plastic bottled cokes in the holder and then he couldn't get it out. He nearly had to break the darn thing to get his soda back. I do believe the cupholders are better engineered than the E39's, but BMW has probably the worst cup holders in the industry. The whole thing may seem petty, but when you're spending the $$$ we're all spending, you just expect more. When we say Ulitmate Driving Machine, we want the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE -- no excuses.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

ULTIMATE DRINKING MACHINE - maybe not!

yes it's fustrating that they are not the best design/executed in the world but hey - it's a small price to pay.

jonboy

ps don't want to start a us ve euro thing
Old 04-20-2004, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Redondoman' date='Apr 20 2004, 02:25 PM
I recently had a friend jump in my car, place one of the new small plastic bottled cokes in the holder and then he couldn't get it out.? He nearly had to break the darn thing to get his soda back.?
This is a problem with the plastic bottle, not the holder; unscrew the top to relieve the pressure in the container & it will come out easily.

regards, billb....
Old 04-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There is a series of spring loaded "flaps" that are supposed to adjust to the circumference of the bottle/can/cup.

Last night I put a bottle of Coke in the holder. Since it's sort of tapered, the flap was in the down position as I inserted the bottle but once the bottle was in, the flap raised a bit due to the spring wanting to return it to the up position.

If you try to pull the bottle straight up, it won't come out. You need to pull it toward the flap (toward the driver on the driver's cupholder) to retract it again. Once that's done, it'll come out if you pull it up and keep pressure on the flap.

The holders are a bit better than the E39 but they still sort of suck. Among other things, I think they should've been a little deeper.

The funniest part about them is the little universal "no goblet" icon printed on the top of them. I guess we can't have that wine and cheese party while we drive!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Automakers seem unable to make my perfect cupholder.

Either it is too stylish and too useless (e.g. SAAB or the E39) - or it's extremely ugly and way too useful

-paasan

Quick Reply: Stupid CupHolder