E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Stupid CupHolder

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004 | 08:38 AM
Members

Smile

Well, I have had the car almost five months now (got it the middle of November) and almost 10,000 miles later the frigging cupholder has given out. It refuses it retract completely in its slot. I tell ya, BMW should never have included those silly things on the car and I do hope the 05 models drop those flimsy excuses that they call cupholders...aarh Well, I am due for my first oil change in about a two weeks so will ask the service department to fix the darn thing.

Sorry everyone, just venting a bit here. Just cant imagine how such a technologically marvelous car that I have so much fun with can have such silly flaws.
Old 04-18-2004 | 10:30 AM
Senior Members

i find the whole drinking scalding hot fliuds in the car equally silly - why does a drivers car need cupholders, whatever next, perhaps we should have a doughnut holder for when you actually have to stop eating and have both hands on the wheel.

<_<

jonboy
Old 04-18-2004 | 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

Once i opened a door in a new friend's car (mercedes E) and broke the piece. Nothing special.... just a minor default... it happens.
My 1990 E34 broke 3 windows levers during 5 years.... it happens.
Be patient.
Old 04-18-2004 | 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jonboy' date='Apr 18 2004, 01:30 PM
i find the whole drinking scalding hot fliuds in the car equally silly - why does a drivers car need cupholders, whatever next, perhaps we should have a doughnut holder for when you actually have to stop eating and have both hands on the wheel.

<_<

jonboy
The fluids are not always scalding hot.

I usually have a bottle of water or something cold to drink in mine.

I know cupholders are an American thing but I have to ask one question, don't you ever get thirsty whilst driving on a trip? Do you just stop, drink then go again? (I'm truly not being sarcastic, I truly am curious as what you folks do about this sort of thing.)
Old 04-18-2004 | 05:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

The reason why we need a cupholder is not the point. The point is, if you're going to put one in the car, do it right. I had a Porsche without cupholders and it was a nightmare when you just had to have a Coke or bottle of water for that long trip.

But again, that's beside the point. BMW decided to put them in, so they should have done a better job with the quality. Just have them replaced under warranty. I'm just going to "baby" mine. I heard they do break easily on this car.
Old 04-18-2004 | 09:21 PM
Members

I agree with you guys, my middle east specs car is one of the few if not the only one that has it in this region. That is what the salesman told me, my other friendsn't who bought E60s don't have it.
When they delivered the car the passenger cupholder was stuck inside, with a couple of "double clicks" by my friends it started working and now it has no problems. but the other one, the one i use is getting slower and slower and soon it will be stuck inside. I agree, an E60 is the last place you want to eat or drink in. But I do need it when i take my coffee mug with me to work. Imagine not having it, it would be a disaster.
BMW did everything right and almost perfect, then one of their engineers probably said "oh wait we forgot the cup holders". I guess this is why we have such crappy ones, other cars have cup holders that would hold multi size mugs and cups.
Anyways too much talkinb about it ill let you guys know when mine breaks.
Old 04-19-2004 | 01:20 AM
Senior Members

I think the point is often that your (US) drinks cups are too big (and therefore heavy). Just put regular sized coffee or 330ml cans and there and there won't be a problem.
Old 04-19-2004 | 03:47 PM
sj3
Senior Members

How are the ones in the rear armrest for those work coffee mugs? There's no way I would try and use the front ones for this and I don't think it should be expected of them. Also, does anyone know what the difference is, if any, between the rear armrest with and without fold-down rears? Are the cupholders any different? Thanks.

I am with Rudy that we should be able to reach a bottle of water on longer trips. How does a US-sized soda can fit, in the front? I guess I'll find out in about 5 weeks (expected production complete: 4/23)!!!

Thanks,

Sam
Old 04-20-2004 | 07:33 AM
DocT

Useful for holding the belkin ipod holder though!
Old 04-20-2004 | 08:51 AM
Contributors

agree with you all guys!!. the thing that i scared about is breaking those silly cupholder on my car when me or my friends use it.
I have funny story though;
before i bought my e60, i broke 3 cupholder in the 3 different cars!!. i just like..OMG. i went to the dealer to see te new 5 at that day, and when i got into the car, i pressed those silly button, and it wouldnt came up. i did those thing 3 times in the different cars (not the same day though).

luckily, i've used the cupholder on my car a lot, but it never broke!! i just love my car... peace...

Quick Reply: Stupid CupHolder