E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

steering wheel stopped going up on key off

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I have had this problem ever since mine was at a shop getting some work done. No one's been able to figure it out and I've been sort of living with it for over a couple of years now. I've tried resetting my seat position on button 1 several times over but no cigar! Maybe I should change to button 2 then back to 1. Never occurred to me to try it until now. I am going down to the garage now. Will report back in 10 minutes.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I have had this problem every since mine was at a shop getting some work done. No one's been able to figure it out and I've been sort of living with it for over a couple of years now. I've tried resetting my seat position on on button 1 several times over but no cigar! Maybe I should change to button 2 then back to 1. Never occurred to me to try it until now. I am going down to the garage now. Will report back in 10 minutes.
inquiring mind wanna know. I'm in the same boat, for years now it hasn't moved.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

nope, no dice.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Well, I just got back from taking my kids to school and while in my car I decided to just manually move the steering wheel (did it while stopped at a light). At the first initial flip of the switch up, it didn't move! (and no it wasn't up all the way) Uhhh....that wasn't good. Moved switch down, and it went down. Moved switch back up and it went all the way up! So eventually I moved the wheel through it's full range of motion up/down, fore/aft and then re-positioned it. Got into my garage, turned the car off and low and behold it moved up!!

Don't know why this helped but it did. BTW I did not mess with any other settings such as seat settings, only steering wheel.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Well, I just got back from taking my kids to school and while in my car I decided to just manually move the steering wheel (did it while stopped at a light). At the first initial flip of the switch up, it didn't move! (and no it wasn't up all the way) Uhhh....that wasn't good. Moved switch down, and it went down. Moved switch back up and it went all the way up! So eventually I moved the wheel through it's full range of motion up/down, fore/aft and then re-positioned it. Got into my garage, turned the car off and low and behold it moved up!!

Don't know why this helped but it did. BTW I did not mess with any other settings such as seat settings, only steering wheel.
That's exactly the behavior mine has. Maybe taking the system thru its paces "teaching" it where its limits are resets it? I am going to try it. What do I have to lose?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

yeah i thought my problem was solved but it seems sometimesish so i works when i wants to when i get some time ill check my battery
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by spediegunz
yeah i thought my problem was solved but it seems sometimesish so i works when i wants to when i get some time ill check my battery

is there a way to manually adjust the wheel? if so please let me know..

my switch just started to give me problems today , the steering column is clicking but the steering wheel only moves back and forth .. help me out!

I just replaced the battery last year with AAA , funny thing is that I did have a battery icon turn on my display a few days ago..
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

if your bat light is on probably those functions are purposely shut off to preserve bat by design should you get your battery issues fixed those issues should go away
Old 07-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006

I will go to autozone right now and get it tested.. it stopped working today, the last time it had movement I heard a nasty grinding and crunchy sound coming from the column..
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Members

I will go to autozone right now and get it tested.. it stopped working today, the last time it had movement I heard a nasty grinding , crunchy sound coming from the column..

Quick Reply: steering wheel stopped going up on key off