E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Stage 1 and SWS8 upgrade non-L7 - Need more volume advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I spent the whole day Saturday installing both BSW Stage 1 upgrade and SWS8 subs into my non-L7 my 2008 528i. This unit has standard USA Hi Fi.

I will say that the Stage 1 went pretty smooth. As for swapping out the subs with SWS8's (still driven by factory amp) i followed quite a few posts to accomplish it and it was a little more involved than I envisioned but I got it done!

Overall if I compare the Stage 1 upgrade to the factory speakers I will say the sound is cleaner and has a better less fatiguing soundstage when the bass and treble settings are set flat. But as it relates to volume it's not any louder than the factory speakers.

When listening to my ipod I can turn up the radio volume full and still carry a standard conversation with the passengers in the car. Specifically when listening to music mastered pre-2000. I continually get comments from passengers, "is that all the way up"?

and my songs are @ 100% volume in the ipod and its set to the loudness eq setting.

So here's my delimma...

I am already going to make the move to add in a new amp in the trunk to drive the SWS8's but I am also considering cutting in an amp to add more volume to the rest of the speakers in the car so, I am on the fence between buying a 2 channel amp with line level input and crossover (to follow Bruce Miranda's method) to only drive the subs...or a 5 channel amp with Line level input, line output converters and crossover so I could power the subs AND power the remaining speakers of in the cabin.

I understand that the signal is crossed over in the head unit for the mid-bass (non sws8) speakers so, what I essentially would like to do is take that signal and run it to the 5 channel amp with built in line output converters to drive the left/right front and rear and then feed the speakers of off the factory wiring from the trunk. I do not care about changing the crossover range of the signal being fed to the non-sws8 cabin speakers because I know it is a losing battle since they are not supplied a full signal range from thehead unit.

I just want more VOLUME for older material i listen to.

Anyone have any experience doing this while retaining factory wiring or any suggestions would be greatly apreciated!

Also any recommendations on an amp in the $200-$300 ish range would be great !
Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Members

Anyone have any experience recomendations??
Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by enemabandit' post='826168' date='Mar 25 2009, 07:25 AM
Anyone have any experience recomendations??
I am in the middle of write up with pics, as I just completed my sound upgrade close to what you want. The only thing I didnt do was upgrade the front speakers, only because I didnt want the hassle of taking out the radio and getting behind the dash, nor wanted to take off the door panels. So I have upgraded my woofers, rear deck speakers and amps.

The main problem you are running into (just FYI) is your new speakers including your subs have a higher RMS rating, and your factory amps are too weak to drive them. Since you want to upgrade everything, what I would do is get a good 5 channel amp, with bass boost control. I belive Kicker makes a pretty decent 5 channel...at a reasonable price.

It will be some what easy once you find a place in the trunk area to mount and amp....as I am not sure you will be able to use the same space Bruce and I used to mount the main amp since most if not all 5 channel amps will probably be larger then the space provided.

I think the main problem you will have is getting the front channel (either RCA or Line your choice) to the rear of the car. The rear channel and sub channels are already back there.

Anyway you'll want to run from the back of the head unit both front channel in and out from the head unit to the trunk, the rest will be easy since you have the speakers and power already back there for the rear and subs.

Once you figure out the line front the front to the rear you will be home free.

Good luck and let me know if you have further questions....there are several of us on here who've modded there sound systems so finding help should be easy
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Members

OK then here is my question.

I am still trying to find out where the power is being supplied to the speakers and how the oem wiring runs.

Does the head unit send crossed over signals to the amp in the back and then the amp powers all of the speakers? (front, rear deck and subs)
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by enemabandit' post='826272' date='Mar 25 2009, 09:32 AM

I am still trying to find out where the power is being supplied to the speakers and how the oem wiring runs.

Does the head unit send crossed over signals to the amp in the back and then the amp powers all of the speakers? (front, rear deck and subs)

The head unit sends out an amplified signal to the main speakers which is filter out for low frequencies....the amp in the trunk only powers the subs under the seat. The small amp istelf also has a crossover as well filtering out the highs..

Bout to jump on a plane...can post some diagrams later, however you should be able to do a search and find the wiring pin outs for the stereo, etc...

Ill check back when I get to my hotel tonight...good lucl
Old 03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by enemabandit' post='826272' date='Mar 25 2009, 09:32 AM

Ha...found it

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=71141

There's also another member on here who posted his wiring diagram of his modded systems with colored wiring descriptions of the factory rear amp..if I find it later ill post, but I am sure some can direct...you...closing plane doors.... CYA
Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Members

For pure volume and output you will need an amplifier upgrade. The Stage 1 will allow a 'louder' listening level without the distortion and fatiguing output that the OEM drivers have.

We will soon have an amp upgrade for these cars
Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Members

whats the eta, cost specs?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525D 2008 m-sport

I'm doing the same upgrade on my E61. I've installed the Earthquake sub and I've just recived the BSW stage 1 and a Alpine PDX 5 amp that I'm going to use on all the speaker. This amp is about 400 - 500$. It support high level input and so I'm going to connect the speaker input directly inn to the amp. The Kicker ZX700.5 2008 mod altso support high level input and is cheaper than the Apline amp. I'm going to install som of the parts this weekend. I'll keep you informed.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Members

Did anyone have any positive outcome with their amp install this weekend?

I am ready to buy mine and do the job but would love to know your experience and results.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 and SWS8 upgrade non-L7 - Need more volume advice