E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sprint Booster vs. Velocity vs. Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

You may also want to try resetting your computerized transmission first before you go spending money. These transmissions for some reason learn how you drive on a regular basis and if you usually take off slow then it will train itself to have a lag on takeoff. Resetting the transmission reverts it back to the way it was programed when it was new and it should get rid of the lag or choppy down/up shifting. Do a search on the forums...there are quite a few posts explaining how to do it. It is very simple, I think you put the key in, push the start button without putting your foot on the brake, so the car doesnt start, then you hold the gas pedal to the floor for 30 seconds. After that shut the car down, take the key out and then put it back in and start it up. After I did this, my 2007 530i had no hesitation at all at takeoff, and it shifts smooth as butter! I would definitely try this before spending money on a SB or VB because I was considering that purchase also until I learned about this. Saved myself some money and I am very happy with the results. My brother has an Acura and he said he resets the computer on his transmission every time he fills up the gas tank just to be sure the transmission is not learning to shift with a lag again.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Members

That is only a temporary solution. I've done it before and it helps but it also is less fuel efficient as the car relearns your driving pattern.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
That is only a temporary solution. I've done it before and it helps but it also is less fuel efficient as the car relearns your driving pattern.
dont' know (or really care) about fuel economy, but I reset my tranny 3 weeks ago and it still has sharp response (was HORRIBLE before resetting).
The SB and the Velocity seem expensive for what they offer. I saw where the BMS JB4 says it improves throttle lag and it also tunes for more power. That is what I will get once the factory warranty runs out next year
Old 10-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by luvmyride
dont' know (or really care) about fuel economy, but I reset my tranny 3 weeks ago and it still has sharp response (was HORRIBLE before resetting).
The SB and the Velocity seem expensive for what they offer. I saw where the BMS JB4 says it improves throttle lag and it also tunes for more power. That is what I will get once the factory warranty runs out next year
+1 BMS FTW
Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Originally Posted by luvmyride
+1

It worked wonders for my car. Mine had a horrible lag at stop lights, I thought something was seriously wrong with it. After the reset...it was like a new car especially when I'm in sport mode. You can't go wrong with the reset...it's FREE! Also, my gas mileage did not change. If anything it improve because I was pumping the pedal anymore or depressing it further to try and get it to respond immediately. I recommend you give it shot, and if it's still not good enough, then go and empty your wallet for the SB or VB (that doesn't even give you HP gains). luvmyride is on point - get the BMS, for around the same $$ you get HP and it fixes the lag permanently. Although I really don't mind spending 30 seconds every 2 - 3 months to reset the tranny.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Members

Is the BMS for turbo engines only?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

How do i reset the transmision if i got the bms insyaled? Thx u