E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016 | 10:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)
Default Sprint Booster

Anyone installed one of those? How much difference did it make?

I got a 2006 525xi, and id like for the car to feel faster or just had a better response when I hit the gas. I wish i had more "umph" or lower end torque to actually feel the car take off. It actually feels delayed and to me i feel like something is stopping this car from feeling like it should. It feels slower then the 1999 528i I used to own.

If really that sprint booster thing does not work, I might just end up trading it in for a 550i E60 or maybe a E39 M5. Cant decide which one because iv grown and like the E60 look and the E39 looks a little weird to me now (even tho I owned one), but the E39 is bad ass in general. lol
Old 06-26-2016 | 04:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 525i-M Sports 05'
Model Year: 2005

Don't have the sprint booster. But I would look into the E60 hidden sport mode first if you haven't already. It can be reversed depending on how you do it. It may give you an idea of what to expect from a sprint booster (although no idea just how different they are)

I have an 05 525i with this sport mode unlocked. Although it does not seem to make much of a change, although it feels quicker. Or simply; bigger engine solves all this...
Old 06-26-2016 | 09:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kasmo
Anyone installed one of those? How much difference did it make?

I got a 2006 525xi, and id like for the car to feel faster or just had a better response when I hit the gas. I wish i had more "umph" or lower end torque to actually feel the car take off. It actually feels delayed and to me i feel like something is stopping this car from feeling like it should. It feels slower then the 1999 528i I used to own.

If really that sprint booster thing does not work, I might just end up trading it in for a 550i E60 or maybe a E39 M5. Cant decide which one because iv grown and like the E60 look and the E39 looks a little weird to me now (even tho I owned one), but the E39 is bad ass in general. lol
It works. You will like it. Reduces the inherent throttle lag, which is the delay you're feeling. Does nothing whatsoever to increase horsepower or torque, however. Do not expect that. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2016 | 01:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

Yea im well aware. To me my 525xi feel like its sluggish. Or too linear in a sense that it speeds up a little too slow. I dont know how to explain it. I just want to be thrown back into my seat when I hit the gas. Like I said my 528i was RWD and this 06 525xi is AWD maybe thats one of the reasons why I dont feel the torque or something.

I like the car a lot, and id love to throw a supercharger on it because i feel like it would be enough power, but the supercharger is 5,000... and you only get like 70 hp or something like that.
Old 06-26-2016 | 10:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by Kasmo
Yea im well aware. To me my 525xi feel like its sluggish. Or too linear in a sense that it speeds up a little too slow. I dont know how to explain it. I just want to be thrown back into my seat when I hit the gas. Like I said my 528i was RWD and this 06 525xi is AWD maybe thats one of the reasons why I dont feel the torque or something.

I like the car a lot, and id love to throw a supercharger on it because i feel like it would be enough power, but the supercharger is 5,000... and you only get like 70 hp or something like that.
unfortunately with the n/a engines theres just not alot you can do that will boost torque and hp with out breaking the bank with a supercharger. aside from the simple things you could do like a drop in air filter, cat back exhaust, and the hidden sport mode
can make a slight difference. other than that an ecu tune is a little more promising on a 525i then it is on a 530i but then again minimal when looking at the price point as the bmw techs did a good job maxing the engine capabilities.

but to get back to your sprint booster question, it does make a difference in the lag you feel when you press the accelerator and can probably help give u that "thrown back in your seat" feeling with out any actual gains in horsepower and torque. its not the same thing as flooring the pedal to the ground as the delay is still there, it just makes it more responsive and lets the car know your trying the accelerate when you actually press the peddle

hope that helps lol.
Old 06-27-2016 | 04:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 M Sport 530i
Model Year: 2006

Yes they are worth every penny,car feels like a cable accelerator once fitted.
As stated above,it just closes up the parameters of the electronic accelerator(less movement/more revs) giving quicker response.
Old 06-27-2016 | 05:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

get a sprintbooster, you'll feel the difference

the sport mode button is just a placebo effect, just because it displays sport on your dash, you think the car is different....so i test drove an E60 with this mod and didn't see or feel any difference besides seeing the word sport displayed.

You can give it a try and update us if it does improve your car or not.
Old 06-27-2016 | 11:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 M Sport 530i
Model Year: 2006

Sport mode does work,though it is just engaging sport mode on the transmission without pushing the gear selector to the left. This is great if (like me) you drive daily in sport mode,but like to grab 'N' at lights or in heavy traffic and get sick of all the stick shifting. I did it and love it, but only you can decide if its worth the work.
Old 06-29-2016 | 12:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by Boost7
get a sprintbooster, you'll feel the difference

the sport mode button is just a placebo effect, just because it displays sport on your dash, you think the car is different....so i test drove an E60 with this mod and didn't see or feel any difference besides seeing the word sport displayed.

You can give it a try and update us if it does improve your car or not.
I beg to differ on the sport mode comment tho, I mean DS (drive sport) isn't really anything to brag about but the Hidden SPORT MODE really does make a difference in the drive. especially in the way the car shifts higher and the throttle response is notably different. you can really feel it when the car starts to feel sluggish after driving for a while. it also does red line faster

Originally Posted by dbond
- "At a touch of a button it becomes one of the very best ..." - Clarkson

Tactile, responsive are probably not the words that come to mind when you are behind the steering wheel of a big 4 door sendan such as E60. May I present you THE button to change your perception of E60. The button that transforms 5' to a vehicle BMW engineers meant to be. Before bean counters and MBAs got their hands on the blueprints.

It's called FDC (Fahr Dynamic Control).

Here is what BMW have to say about FDC:

"Dynamic Driving Control (FDC) can be selected with the SPORT button in either automatic mode or manual mode. FDC is always deactivated when the engine is started.
When Dynamic Driving Control (FDC) is activated with the SPORT button, shift times for gear changes are reduced by the SMG control unit. In addition, in automatic mode the SMG only shifts into the next gear up at higher engine speeds. The DME unit adjusts the accelerator-pedal values. The engine responds quicker to changes in the accelerator pedal position. The system also switches "Servotronic" or "Active steering" option to a more sports-oriented characteristic. Steering and holding forces on the steering wheel are given more sporty settings."

But don't get discouraged - FDC is available on all E60. Here is the proof. You are looking at '07 E60 530i manual shift. Shorting FDC contact to the ground for a split second activates more crisp throttle response, steering becomes heavier in a good sense, and I'm sure on automatics trans shift points higher at any gear. And you get SPORT in the instrument cluster!

To disable FDC mode short contacts again.
Everything you need to get it done is in attached files, both pre-LCI and LCI E60s.

Home work: part numbers for Sport button and trim pieces.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for your speeding tickets! Nor for burned down control modules. Take it to a pro if you don't feel confortable tracing digrams or connecting wires.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-meant-127596/

just my 2 cents only because I want every e60 driver to feel such a great and cheap diy mod
Old 06-29-2016 | 02:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

shawn, I'm glad to hear this mod is working out for you. I'm not here to argue over it, just letting everyone know my experience with it and my thoughts.

So any of you guys have tried both a sprintbooster and sport button mod on the same car? can you tell us the difference?

Last edited by Boost7; 06-29-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster