E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Springs...Shocks...Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi -- took delivery January 24th, 2008 -- Space Gray w/black dakota leather interior and Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Sport Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Logic7 / Bluetooth / IPOD / NAV / 18" Star Spoke 124s...BUT I could not resist the M Aero Kit, tinting the windows and adding front/rear blacked-out Roundels
Thumbs up

Good morning to you all.

First off a thank you to all that have posted on this matter. I am creating a new post as I am looking for opinions and general discussion on my situation. Here is what I gathered so far:

1. eibach pro-kit gives the closest ride to stock, drops 1.2" all around.
2. eibach sportline drops 2" front and 1.2" rear.
3. H&R sport 1.4" front and 1.3" rear.
4. H&R race 2" all around
5. the xi model that I have "doesn't have the re-calibrated suspension, so my suspension is closer to that of a non-sport model" according to a comment made by CsBimmer.

My upgrade desires:
a. Wheels: Hartge classic wheel; 19s or 20s.
b. Springs or Springs and Shocks: I want to lower the car for better handling and a cleaner, more aggressive look

That said, I decided to stick to the wheels I have for awhile, but wanted some advise as I am worried about two things:
a. I still want to lower the car, but want to invest in springs, shocks knowing that I am considering a Hartge classic wheel.
b. In the absense of the complete package (wheel, spring, shocks) it sounds like I should expect "bouncy" rebound rates since springs alone aren't an exact match for the stock shocks on my car.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Springs...Shocks...Wheels-img_0425_edited.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I think we on the xi model kinda stuck only w/ H&R spring at the moment as other manufacture(s) still have no parts specific to our xi model.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Koni sport shocks w/H&R sport springs or Koni sport shocks as part of the Dinan stage 2 suspension.

I had Koni sports W/dinan springs on my 06 M3. Loved it.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

For the xi AWD model? I didn't know that...

I saw Bilstein seems to has the xi AWD model listed for their PSS line (not PSS9) but not so sure myself.

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='535364' date='Feb 24 2008, 11:30 AM
Koni sport shocks w/H&R sport springs or Koni sport shocks as part of the Dinan stage 2 suspension.

I had Koni sports W/dinan springs on my 06 M3. Loved it.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='535373' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:37 PM
For the xi AWD model? I didn't know that...

I saw Bilstein seems to has the xi AWD model listed for their PSS line (not PSS9) but not so sure myself.
Missed the "xi" I would still call Dinan. Their stuff works very well...
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Nothing but H&R Sport springs are available for the xi. And before you go out and just buy any wheel, you better make sure they have the correct offsets. I like the CSL's, personally, but I am biased.
Attached Thumbnails Springs...Shocks...Wheels-dscn6111_1.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi -- took delivery January 24th, 2008 -- Space Gray w/black dakota leather interior and Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Sport Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Logic7 / Bluetooth / IPOD / NAV / 18" Star Spoke 124s...BUT I could not resist the M Aero Kit, tinting the windows and adding front/rear blacked-out Roundels

I appreciate the responses so far. Thank you.

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='535401' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:47 PM
Nothing but H&R Sport springs are available for the xi. And before you go out and just buy any wheel, you better make sure they have the correct offsets. I like the CSL's, personally, but I am biased.
DrLev99 thanks. CsBimmer has me looking at these too...he has educated me completely on offsets, etc. I am looking into the Hartges on that matter. to both you and Calton!!
Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

C is the one who gave me all the info I needed as well. His rims look so sweet I just had to have them. I am very happy with the look. I get all kinds of compliments on the rims. The first time I put on my new wheels at work, a few coworkers came up to me stating how they couldn't believe the difference the wheels made to the total look..."like a totally different car" I heard quite a few times.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Members

What is the experience of those xi owners who have installed the H&R Springs on the XI. I too am interested to know if the car ends up getting a bit "bouncy" due to not having a tuned (spings, shocks, struts) setup. I have seen the pics from C's and Dr. Lev and think the drop is just right for an xi.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 06xi' post='535697' date='Feb 25 2008, 08:37 AM
What is the experience of those xi owners who have installed the H&R Springs on the XI. I too am interested to know if the car ends up getting a bit "bouncy" due to not having a tuned (spings, shocks, struts) setup. I have seen the pics from C's and Dr. Lev and think the drop is just right for an xi.
The drop and look are just right, but the ride is bouncier when you hit uneven pavement, like expansion joints on bridges or overpasses, potholes, etc. Since your OEM shocks are expecting a longer spring (and doesn't have it), the compression ratio is off. There's less spring to cushion the blow, along with a stiffer spring. As a result, it feels a bit bouncy until the car returns to level pavement. Now, don't get me wrong...it's not as if the car keeps bouncing along forever like a bouncing ball. It's just the initial impact and the second or 2 afterwards. If you tried to physically bounce the car yourself by pushing down on the trunk, it won't budge or give at all.

I know where all of the main expansion joints are on the way to work, and I always cringe right before hitting them, doing 70-75mph. I think the shocks could bottom out if I was going faster. As for cornering, that aspect is improved due to the stiffer springs and lower ride height. Just don't combine a tight turn with an expansion joint or you might kiss the wall!

The bottom line is, there is the sacrifice of some comfort for the look of the low-rider. My next car will not be an xi, due to the feel of the post H&R bounce, unless they come out with coilovers for the E60 or eventual F10. However, if you want 19's or 20's on an xi, you have no choice but to throw on H&R sports, unless you want to look like a monster truck on rollerskates.