E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

sport v Koni fsd dampers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fsd's have arrived just need some time to install

sport v Koni fsd dampers-bmw_e60_530d.jpg
Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Members

fsd's are now installed.
Only done around 40 miles on them so early days, but 1st impressions :

The fsd's are considerably more heavy than the stock dampers.
Took around 4 hours to fit.
They are quite impressive, they arnt a night and day improvement over the oe sport dampers but non the less, good roads with a slight ripple in them at low speeds are completely ironed out now, drain covers and medium faults in the road are barely noticable now, larger pot holes are still there with a slap rather than the sport damper shudder, road noise seems slightly reduced. The steering isnt affected by pot holes now were before the shudder would be felt thru the steering. Car feels better under braking. Car does feel more planted with the steering just giving you the feedback you want rather than telling you about every ripple in the road.
Havnt done any b road nippy driving yet so cant comment there, but yes a considerable improvement imo over the sport dampers.

Was a little nervy before fitting them if it was the right decision, but atm i am very pleased.

Have to say having now been intimate with the under pinnings of the e60, all credit to bmw for what is a very impressive bit of engineering design using light weight materials wherever possible, did seem slightly wrong putting the heavy fsd's on when bmw have obviously gone to so much trouble to reduce weight.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 AM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

Rob - Did you change the springs on the car or just keep stock springs?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TMQ' post='700005' date='Oct 22 2008, 05:20 PM
Rob - Did you change the springs on the car or just keep stock springs?
I re-used the stock sport springs, as i felt the spring rate before the damper change felt ok.

Ive now done a good few miles and my opinion is still good on the fsd's, they do seem to get firmer the faster you go, and i would say below 40ish mph there is a night and day difference to the sport dampers, above 40ish the gap to the sports does close considerably. I have been trying different tyre pressures also which has been interesting, the car seems to cope with lower pressures much better than it could on the sport dampers, improving the ride again without compromise to the very impressive handling.