E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Speaker Upgrade w/o Changing Amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will soon take delivery of e60 with standard sound system. I fully intend to upgrade stock speakers (at least tweeters and mids), but I have absolutely no intention of f***ing with the amp/i drive.

Can anyone recommend aftermarket tweeters or mids that can be driven by factory amp in standard sound system?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' date='Oct 11 2005, 09:12 AM
I will soon take delivery of e60 with standard sound system.? I fully intend to upgrade stock speakers (at least tweeters and mids), but I have absolutely no intention of f***ing with the amp/i drive.?

Can anyone recommend aftermarket tweeters or mids that can be driven by factory amp in standard sound system?

Thanks.
[snapback]182561[/snapback]
This is very dangerous without more technical specs of the oem speakers. They are probably balanced input and could easely be 8 ohm in stead of 4 ohm.
I would not recommend this without professional help.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pmmeke' date='Oct 11 2005, 03:19 AM
[quote name='jeffreybowman' date='Oct 11 2005, 09:12 AM']I will soon take delivery of e60 with standard sound system.? I fully intend to upgrade stock speakers (at least tweeters and mids), but I have absolutely no intention of f***ing with the amp/i drive.?

Thanks.
This is very dangerous without more technical specs of the oem speakers. They are probably balanced input and could easely be 8 ohm in stead of 4 ohm.
[snapback]182562[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks. I agree. I would only have a pro do the installation. I am just looking for recommendations on the "hardware"
Old 10-11-2005, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' date='Oct 11 2005, 02:18 PM
[quote name='pmmeke' date='Oct 11 2005, 03:19 AM'][quote name='jeffreybowman' date='Oct 11 2005, 09:12 AM']I will soon take delivery of e60 with standard sound system.? I fully intend to upgrade stock speakers (at least tweeters and mids), but I have absolutely no intention of f***ing with the amp/i drive.?

Thanks.
[snapback]182562[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks. I agree. I would only have a pro do the installation. I am just looking for recommendations on the "hardware"
[snapback]182612[/snapback]
[/quote]
The ohm load will be importent: You first need to know what speaker ohm load the oem amps can handle and then decide on a brand that can give you that ohm load. Most speakers are only 3 of 4 ohm. If the amps needs 8 its going to be difficult to find a speaker brand.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

The volume on the base sound system is very weak, you're going to have to find very sensitive components also. I recommend adding an amp and use an LOC to feed it line-level input.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Senior Members

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/BMW-E60-E61-Lautsp...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by pmmeke' date='Oct 13 2005, 12:01 AM
Xetec is a good brand, but you are going to be disappointed with the volume available from the factory amp (actually the head unit). But you can certainly upgrade the speakers first and then see how it goes.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

You are likely to damage a good speaker by using the factory amps. They are shit. End of story.

In fact, it would be better for the sound quality to change the amps and leave the factory speakers.

You can make a bad speaker sound good with the right amp. But a bad amp will make a good speaker sound like ass.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 AM
Contributors

Sorry for changing subject for a minute... Can anyone please tell me exactly where the oem amp is in the car... and how to get access to it? thanks so much... and sorry again for changing topic...
Old 10-14-2005, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

amp is in the trunk, on the driver side.

back to the original topic.....

how about this....can you change the amp AND the speakers to something aftermarket? ive read that the line from the i-drive to the amp is optical, so theres gotta be SOME amps there that accept this kind of input. no?
if not, what are amp makers thinking??? surely bmw is not the only one one who uses these kinds of amps.
so if u can change the amp, then changing the speakers would be MUCH easier, no?

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade w/o Changing Amp