E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Speaker upgrade question (already extensively searched the forum)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I have 2 sets of Infinity Kappa 42.9i speakers installed on the front doors and rear deck, they sound cristal clear, now, they don't seem to fit in "like oem" in the factory enclosures.

I have been looking at the FOCAL POLYGLASS 100 CVX and other FOCAL 4" speakers, any of these FOCAL SPEAKERS would fit our cars?, anybody here has used them?, they are signature series in crutchfield.com which speaks volumes of their quality.

Any speakers that would fit perfectly like oem?

Should I get 2 way speakers or is there a component set that fits our cars? (NO BWS)

What is the size of the center speaker in our cars?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

i have mtx 4 inch components they make a low end for 180 bux a pair and a high end for 500 and change. they drop right in. need to break off one tab tho. i had mb quarts componenets for 270 a pair they sounded nice but voice coils blew
Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
i have mtx 4 inch components they make a low end for 180 bux a pair and a high end for 500 and change. they drop right in. need to break off one tab tho. i had mb quarts componenets for 270 a pair they sounded nice but voice coils blew

Do u have the model? A link?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

BSW Stage 1
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
BSW Stage 1
No BSW, subpar quality of sound, I'm looking for other aternatives that are high end and that would fit like OEM (I don't mind breaking a tab on a speaker)
Old 02-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Check post 13

https://5series.net/forums/topic/998...1#entry1189344

Great decision on byspassing the BSW upgrade.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
Check post 13

https://5series.net/forums/topic/998...1#entry1189344

Great decision on byspassing the BSW upgrade.
WOW, thanks Nelson!, ok here's what I got

- MS-8 processor
ALREADY HAVE AUDIOCONTROL LC6i - I think they have the same function, right?

- OEM Individual Audio center speaker channel
JUST ORDERED IT FROM FRANK @ BMW MINNESOTA - I BUY ALL MY OEM FROM HIM, SUCH A CLASSY GUY, GREAT SERVICE

- Rainbow SLC 210.25 NG (front) & Rainbow SLX 210 (rear)
WHAT IS THIS BRAND?, NEVER HEARD OF THEM BEFORE... I WAS THINKING MB QUART OR FOCAL, WHAT DO U THINK?

- Kicker SSMB8 (if you find them) or Morel ADMW SW 9 underseat woofers
FOUND THE KICKERS - QUESTIONS:
ARE THE KICKERS BETTER THAN THE EARTHQUAKES? (I WOULD IMAGINE, KICKER LITERALLY KICKS ASS!)
DO THE KICKERS FIT OUR CARS?

- Image Dynamics ID10D4 V.3 trunk sub
ALREADY HAVE 2X12" KICKER Dual 4 ohm CVX12-4 - 750 RMS EACH HOOKED TO A MONOBLOCK AMP MAKING THEM RUMBLE - THEY DO A GREAT JOB OF PRODUCING HUUUGEEEE BASS OUT MY TRUNK

- JL Audio HD600/4
ALREADY HAVE AN Infinity Reference 475a R/B - 90W X 4 CHANNELS

- JL Audio HD900/5
THIS AMP WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO HANDLE MY KICKER SUBS

- HiFi amp harness (no LOC)
- MASK/CCC/CIC harness (I sell that one too, for the 3-Series but it fits the E60 as well)
WHAT ARE THESE MATE?

Nelson,

What do you think about my Infinity amp?, I don't think a $1000 would make a huge difference from a $400 one, with all the road noise, I turn my stereo up in the highway and turn it down in the city (I don't like looking foolish

Now, about the Kicker SSMB8, would they fit an e60?, FROM WHICH OF MY AMPS SHOULD THEY GET THEIR POWER? (or do I need another choice to run all speakers in my car? - except the 12" Kickers, they need the MONOBLOCK.)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Contributors

Also, Oem amp is disconnect, all audio goes like this:

Head unit ---> Lci6 ---> AMPS.

How woukd I connect the 4 4" speakers + center channel + tweeters + oem woofers + 2x12" subs through the MS-8's 6 channels?

Any ideas?

I'm asking because as of right now, I'm not running center channel nor oem woofers...

EDIT: got this review from a buyer in amazon

"5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
I am sure it is a great product... for some..., November 9, 2010
By Mikhail Arkhipov
This review is from: JBL MS-8 MS Series Digital Processor (Electronics)
I installed MS-8 in my car. In overall unit makes good sound. But not great. Speakers are not to blame, they are top-end Morels. The problem is in calibration. MS-8 seem to calibrate to so-called "house curve", rather that to a flat response. I.e. treble level is lacking and has to be compensated in tone controls/EQ. I understand that JBL wanted out-of-the box experience satisfactory for most people (i.e. those happy with 128KBps MP3) and selected what *most* people like as did cinema theaters when they created "house curve". However, this is a high end product (or at least priced/marketed as such) and hence should have appropriate calibration settings: if I want flat, I should be able to get one.

BTW, if I defeat processing, treble is back, so there is nothing wrong with speakers or connections: it's calibration target that is wrong.

Now, remote display UI is pretty bad. First of all, it is very slow. Adjusting anything is unsafe during driving since you have to watch the screen. Simple buttons like 'next/pre favorite' and +/- on bass and treble would be much better. Now, JBL sells separate wireless bass control. OK, if they have wireless bass control with a normal rotary button, why MS-8 is only controllable via wired screen from remote???

And for Pete's sake, why do one have to go through complete setup process and specify every input connection again when all that I want is to change crossover frequency???

So in overall: unit quality and functionality is good, software and remote screen UI are horrible. Hence 3/5

Update. Due to unfortunate lack of calibration options MS-8 has issues when speakers are not placed at typical locations. For example, it uses bass sweep for subwoofer calibration and regular signal for other speakers. This causes issues when woofers are located under seats, like, for instance, in BMW. In order to have proper calibration under-seat woofers have to be specified as subwoofers so MS-8 uses sweep signal to calibrate them. But there is a catch: MS-8 is only able to handle two subwoofers and it is impossible to add real subwoofer to it (unless crossed separately).

So rating remains the same. MS-8 is a nice device, amps are good quality, nice processing, but it really needs to offer various calibration targets as well as options which signal to use for low end calibration and perhaps allow more than two subs - quite a few cars have woofers under seats and sub in a trunk."
Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Members

I am no expert, but for me the BSW was the only option without pouring major amounts of funds to do a complete overhaul..While the sound is not the best I have ever heard, it is at least marginally better than OEM...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have a JBL ms-8 also which I will be using for my system. I was going to be using 4" focal utopia speakers but decided to try something different, the focals will require you to use a mounting plate. Mount the speaker to the plate then mount the plate to the car. I know some people have had these plates custom machined, I'm cheap so I will just be making mine from mdf.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade question (already extensively searched the forum)