E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Speaker opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many of you I am less than satisfied with the audio quality. I have been over the existing threads many times and see lots of good information. I want to get started on upgrading the speakers and maybe adding an amp to the subs. Here?s where I?d like opinions:

Based on 2005 model year, US 525i with standard 10 speaker system

1) What speakers would you recommend for the doors?
a. MB Quart ? Which model?
b. Focal ? Which model?
c. Diamond ? same
d. Other

2) Which rear deck speakers would you recommend?
b. Focal ? Which model?
c. Diamond ? Which model?
d. Other

3) Which sub(s) would you recommend for under seats?
a. SWS ? 8
b. Diamond ? which model?
c. Other

4) Does it make sense to upgrade the subs and not amplify them?

I am interested in BVS and their new speakers (when released) due to the fact that they are a pnp solution and also because they are a sponsor. I do not see any comments regarding anyone actually installing this company?s product. Has anyone purchased from BVS and what is your opinion on their products?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Members

sorry to bump but am really looking for feedback.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by osgoor' post='517924' date='Jan 14 2008, 07:04 PM
sorry to bump but am really looking for feedback.

Thanks
That is a subjective question

Focal is great but it all depends on what you are driving them with, so id diamond but it depends on which series.

There are lower end and higher end series for both of these brands. Rainbows are ridiculous as well as CDT audio and of course Dynaudio, would be my top 3 choices, within those 3 you have to choose which sounds are best suitable for you.

If you are not driving these 3 types of components with some power then you might as well stay stock. They do require some push in terms of power.

Hope this helps

rj
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 520dT LCI, titansilver, advantagepack, comfortpack, coldclimatepack, 242-rims, black Daytona leather, chrome line, grey highgloss int. Retrofit:Brink towhitch. Upgraded audio: Audio-System Xion 200(4"mids, highs and 8"underseatsubs), JBL GTO 427´s in the ceiling and JL-Audio A4300 amp. For the dark & snowy season: Nokian Hakka 5 studded, Hella 3003 Compact auxilary lights. 1999 523i, Oxfordgreen, Sandbeige leather interior, style 89-rims, HiFI pro DSP, Xenon, PDC, ACC, double glazing, removable tow hitch, cold climate pack, wood trim, cruise control, armrest front, Steering wheel heating, Lumbar support. Previously owned BMWs: 1999 528iA E39 1990 735 iA E32

Originally Posted by osgoor' post='517702' date='Jan 14 2008, 04:20 PM
Like many of you I am less than satisfied with the audio quality. I have been over the existing threads many times and see lots of good information. I want to get started on upgrading the speakers and maybe adding an amp to the subs. Here?s where I?d like opinions:

Based on 2005 model year, US 525i with standard 10 speaker system

1) What speakers would you recommend for the doors?
b. Focal ? Which model?
c. Diamond ? same
d. Other

2) Which rear deck speakers would you recommend?
b. Focal ? Which model?
c. Diamond ? Which model?
d. Other

3) Which sub(s) would you recommend for under seats?
a. SWS ? 8
b. Diamond ? which model?
c. Other

4) Does it make sense to upgrade the subs and not amplify them?

I am interested in BVS and their new speakers (when released) due to the fact that they are a pnp solution and also because they are a sponsor. I do not see any comments regarding anyone actually installing this company?s product. Has anyone purchased from BVS and what is your opinion on their products?

Thanks!
Hi,

Since I started my plans I might as well share them, right

I run the Rainbow PowerLine fronts in my 307CC and they are sweeeeet.
You can go loud with lots of punch. Roll them off at ~70Hz and let the subs take it from there. In the CC I got two JL Audio 6W0 in 5l
closed boxes custom made to fit behind the front seats. Those small subs are sick....
I power it all up with a JL Audio e4300 amp.

That was the intro to my current plan....

In the BMW I?m thinking Rainbow PowerLine fronts, JL Audio clean Sweep processing, JL Audio amps (probably the new a4300 since that?s the new version of the e4300 I run now and it works perfect).
For subs I?m not sure...
The Earthquakes under the seats are tempting but I don?t know...
I would like to use the JL Audio subs but I?m not sure how though. The wife won?t allow me to do the "massive bassbins in the trunk" thing so
it has to be stealth.
I got some thinking left to do about that. I?ll get back to you...

And one more thing, changing speakers or subs without changing the powerplant is waste of time and money.

My 2 cents

//Daniel