E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Spark Plug that will give you 5 HP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 PM
NPe
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M6 E63 Sapphire black Z3 Coupe R4Turbo Hellrot, semi race. (670bhp) Z3 Coupe V8Turbo design work ongoing, full race. Sold: 545i Titanium Silver

I wouldn?t change brand from NGK.
NGKs have worked flawless in my 545i (Std in europe) as well as in my Z3Turbo, different types and different hardness though.

Looking to the test methods used by linked company, there is no standard used.
And doing 3 pulls doesnt give enough values to cover variation. At least 30pulls would be a minimum to do a six sigma.

Snake oil warning, until at least proven according to branch standard. And preferably performed by an independent certified test lab.

Again, If you want more power go for the real deal, no magnetic fuel lines or eagles on the hood.
Complete exhaust system with extractor headers, metal race/sport cats moved from the headers, improved air flow to the filter box (Dinan CAI similar) and a software optimized to the new conditions.
That gives maximum 25-30hp!!

If you would like to have your car in good condition and not be afraid of any missfires loss of power etc, change plugs after half the stated service period! And use the plugs BMW spend a couple of years and some hundered persons occupied for during the development of the engine.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by NPe' post='696850' date='Oct 19 2008, 01:47 AM
NGKs have worked flawless in my 545i (Std in europe) as well as in my Z3Turbo, different types and different hardness though.

And doing 3 pulls doesnt give enough values to cover variation. At least 30pulls would be a minimum to do a six sigma.

Snake oil warning, until at least proven according to branch standard. And preferably performed by an independent certified test lab.

Again, If you want more power go for the real deal, no magnetic fuel lines or eagles on the hood.
Complete exhaust system with extractor headers, metal race/sport cats moved from the headers, improved air flow to the filter box (Dinan CAI similar) and a software optimized to the new conditions.

If you would like to have your car in good condition and not be afraid of any missfires loss of power etc, change plugs after half the stated service period! And use the plugs BMW spend a couple of years and some hundered persons occupied for during the development of the engine.

Please can you explain how is the metal race/sport cat moved from the headers? any picture?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:42 AM
NPe
Members

My Ride: M6 E63 Sapphire black Z3 Coupe R4Turbo Hellrot, semi race. (670bhp) Z3 Coupe V8Turbo design work ongoing, full race. Sold: 545i Titanium Silver

The cats are to be placed about where you have the gear stick.
Like RDs system

One of the reasons is that metal cats do not withstand high temperature as well as a ceramic cat will do.
Moving the cats will also improve flow, but cold start activation will be prolonged.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 AM
ukr
Members

My Ride: 530i n52
Model Year: 2006

Quote from NGK site:

"Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable. "
Old 10-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i- Steptronic Trans, Sirius Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, BMW Assist, Black Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by NPe' post='696850' date='Oct 19 2008, 03:47 AM

Someone else agrees with me on the snake oil warning... Even if I did gaffe about the Afe intake. We all have our 'idiot' days now and then sometimes guys
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='694243' date='Oct 15 2008, 08:12 PM
Dude, are serious? Do you work for AFE or something b/c I thought it was common knowledge now that the AFE CAI does not add hp... it actually subtracts hp...

I actually had no idea. Why though?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by za3879' post='699471' date='Oct 21 2008, 08:38 PM
I actually had no idea. Why though?
Just use the search bar at the top and search for AFE CAI... you'll get tons of discussions about "why" it SUCKS! In a nutshell, it sucks the hot air from the engine compartment which leads to depleted hp... there are ppl who have explained this in depth... I suggest you read before you buy... also, AFE is a crappy manuf. altogether. Here's a couple threads to start you off:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...5&start=255

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=63476
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='699595' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:17 PM
Just use the search bar at the top and search for AFE CAI... you'll get tons of discussions about "why" it SUCKS! In a nutshell, it sucks the hot air from the engine compartment which leads to depleted hp... there are ppl who have explained this in depth... I suggest you read before you buy... also, AFE is a crappy manuf. altogether. Here's a couple threads to start you off:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...5&start=255

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=63476

Excellent information - thank you. What mfg is recommended, aside from Dinan? What are all the mfg's that are of decent quality for any additions to an E60 for that matter...
Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by za3879' post='699713' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:33 AM
Excellent information - thank you. What mfg is recommended, aside from Dinan? What are all the mfg's that are of decent quality for any additions to an E60 for that matter...
Actually, as far as intakes are concerned, Dinan is the only one that actually performs like it's supposed to. The open-air intakes such as AFE are useless as they are not guarded from the heat of the engine at all. There has been discussion that the AFE intakes are only good in cold weather but this is an ambiguous argument b/c every intake is good in cold weather, it's common sense... the AFE is will only seem like it's doing something until the engine heats up and then it is simply sucking in hot air again which of course causes you to lose hp. So, other than the Dinan (which is enclosed) I would just keep it stock and get the RPI scoops which will greatly increase air flow towards your intake and will actually increase performance... of course, if you just want your car to sound louder then yes, put in an AFE b/c it will definitely make the car sound louder.

Choice --> performance vs sound/posing like a fast car
Old 10-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='694145' date='Oct 16 2008, 01:14 AM
IMO, the spark plugs indirectly increases the car's HP.
WTF?

Don't believe all s**t you read!

It's not that easy.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug that will give you 5 HP gain?