E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Spacers ...... err.....Why??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Will somebody please enlighten me as I seem to have missed the point.

Some people are buying ?30,000 pound cars and then adding spacers to make the wheels stick out a bit farther. Isn't this making it look a bit like a teenager's first car? i.e. "I can't afford a proper car, but if I add a really big plastic spoiler and neon lights under the sills then with luck people might confuse me for being rich/cool/faster etc."

Also... doesn't all the mud and crap now spray all over the back of the car?

Please, somebody tell me what I'm missing? Do people put spacers on Ferraris too?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Contributors

Don't get me wrong, the E60 is the most wonderful car I have ever laid eyes on. I however do not like how the back wheels are in teh fender. So, I am adding spacers to bring the rear wheels out farther like the front wheels. It is not for neon lights, it is not to bring the wheels out of the fender. If I wanted that I would have bought a VW golf with deep dish rims.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

What material are the spacers made of? Pictures?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

As we all know, customizing cars goes back 50 years or more. Why should the E60 be exempt? If you like yours stock, then keep it that way but let others have their fun. What's the point of your post?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I be more careful when moding my car (don't like wheels if they need spacers). I would not alter the cars suspension unless I knew for sure it was beneficial.

Most do it for looks. I think the point jamespratt is making is why change the phisical appearance of the car for just cosmetics reason.

Most adults that I know that mod are into restorations projects and the young the ones are into the cosmetics.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Jul 27 2004, 02:40 PM
As we all know, customizing cars goes back 50 years or more. Why should the E60 be exempt? If you like yours stock, then keep it that way but let others have their fun. What's the point of your post?
I think jamespratt didn't want to offend anybody but just wanted to know the reason for doing it (e.a. cosmetics, better roadhandeling etc.). I asked Kigerka a simmilar question in another post to find out the benefits/downsides of doing this. I believe this forum is here to ask these questions so we can all learn!
Old 07-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Mike

Yes, you are correct........you HAVE missed the point....

People mod their cars for many different reasons. Some do it to attract attention, some do it for increased performance, and some do it for their own satisfaction. I think it is somewhat unfair to question a person who mods their cars even if the mods do not bring any increase in performance (i.e., wheel spacers).

I'm sure that you would not want people talking negatively about how you have decorate your house, how you dress or what you eat......

Just my 2cents!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Contributors

That is a good point actually; is it ok to say so if someone modifies their car and you don't like the result...

The polite thing to do would be to congratulate them on the result, as you do for example when a family member shows you their new car. But on a forum like this, when you post pictures and ask people's opinion, wouldn't that be a different matter? It is a discussion board after all, wouldn't be much to discuss if everyone agrees with oneanother.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Contributors

I guess I should also explain more. When you widen the wheels a little bit you can feel the car being more stable and better handling. The E60 is supreme in handling now but hey, what's wrong with a little more?
Wasn't angry with the post, I just can't imagine buying a car, paying 50,000 +- and running to your local auto store to put cheap gadgets on them. Rather silly I think.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Members

My intention in starting this post was not to be negative, but I will perhaps admit that I wanted it to be a little controversial. Helps to get the blood in our veins flowing a litle faster Guess that's why we buy BMWs.

Spacers=more stability Seems to make sense, and to be honest it doesn't muck up the looks too much. You have my permission to continue.

Modding does go back a very long way I agree, but it is seldom done on such new or expensive cars. In the vast majority of case I really believe that 99% of modifications make the car look 'cheap and tacky'. Purely a personal view of course.

For those of you not having the great good fortune to be British, and therefore unable to enjoy Top Gear on the BBC every Sunday night I attach a link to part of their website that highlights the perils of 'modding'.

http://www.topgear.com/content/fun_stuff/carbage/0/

Anyway, to all you 'modders' - Go For IT !!!! You're doing a great job of making my car look so much more sophisticated

Best wishes

James

Quick Reply: Spacers ...... err.....Why??