E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sounds like a real V8 now...finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i 6spd sport Sapphire black...well satin white wrap

After seeing a couple members here remove their resonators, I decided to give it a try...and I LOVE it! As soon as it stops raining outside, I'll get a sound clip for everyone to enjoy.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about doing this on my 535i, interested to see how it sounds. Did you get the work done at a local muffler shop and how much did it run you?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I've been thinking about doing this on my 535i, interested to see how it sounds. Did you get the work done at a local muffler shop and how much did it run you?
It sounds much more aggressive now, deeper, louder, and a nice metallic howl on WOT (almost Ferrari like). It saved about 30 lbs which was a nice little benefit too!!

I bought the pipe from a local muffler shop and the guys in my shop (Roush) welded it in for $50 NOT BAD!!!!

The install was real straight forward and only took an hour. We unbolted the mid section, cut it on a band saw, reinstalled the ends, measured the length and cut the tubes, added a small flat to clear brace in the middle, tacked the pieces together, dropped the front at the cats, welded the perimeter of the pipes, reattached the front, checked for leaks, then did a few drifts in the parking lot!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

congrats on the mod
and actually now your e 60 is 20lbs lighter after
removing the resonators.. enjoy
Old 05-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

did you notice any performance gain or loss?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Members

i wanted to do this too.. please upload a soundclip!! the only thing holding me back is that I heard people who removed them complained about decreased performance..
Old 05-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Members

can't wait to hear the clip. I wanna do this to my 550i. How many resinators are there?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cgeetaryan
i wanted to do this too.. please upload a soundclip!! the only thing holding me back is that I heard people who removed them complained about decreased performance..
It's raining again today, so no sound clips

As far as performance, I didn't notice an increase or decrease off the line. I feel highway cruising may be slightly better now. I made sure to flatten the middle of the straight pipes to keep some back pressure. I'm sure that is why I didn't notice a loss in torgue.

I removed the two round resonators up front and the large collector near the rear.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Sounds clips or it didn't happen
Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

I wouldn't recommend having straight-pipes if you're planning on getting an axle-back exhaust later on, like the RPI....trust me, this is exactly what I just did. The build of the RPI exhaust is pretty much straight-through, so the muffler itself won't have much backpressure.

My exhaust setup now is straight-through completely to the RPI exhaust, sounds loud as hell, but no backpressure what so ever. Thus, huge loss of low-end and torque. I'm now going to have my resonators put back on next week because the difference is night and day, even with the Sprintbooster on "red". It cost me $200 to have all 4 resonators removed, now I have to spend even more just to have them put back on.

However, if you're going to keep the factory exhaust, then straight pipes is good...sounds nice and you should zip-tie the exhaust valve on your muffler to stay open. I didnt like how the factory exhaust look though, wanted something bigger and more flush with the exhaust cut-out of the bumper.

Goodluck!

Quick Reply: Sounds like a real V8 now...finally!