E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SO what is the best tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I drove my friends E39 with the PS2s, they handle great and are smooth. He has had them for 8000 miles so far and no noisy from the tire. Right now I'm stayibng away of the run flats as I have a spare in the trunk, besides when i took my tires out they were extremely heavy compared to my new bigger wheels and tires. So i attest that the run lfats because of the reinforcement adds more weight to the already heavy tire.
So what i have now is
245-35-19 front (8.5 rim)
275-30-19Rear (9.5 rim) <-- thinking of putting 285-30-19?? may fit?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>So what is the best tire?</span>
I had and checked the Bridgestones SO3a, nice tire, a bit on the expensive side and Heavy heavy
I checked the Michelin PS2s, and are great, but $$ expensive $1700 (tax inc) mounted nad installed
I checked and test drove in my cosuins E46 the Nitto 555, they were ok to good and have my tire size . total intallation here $998 (tax incl)
I checked the Bridgestones RE750, reviews are ok and hear to be noisy after a few miles. A bit heavier than other tires. total intallation here $998 (tax incl)
I checked the Fuzzion ZRi, a freind has them in his E36, he said they suck! but he did not have the money to buy the So3s again
I checked and have the pirelli zeros (what i have in my car now) and they are just ok. they brake a little to early on hard cornering, they wear fast and they are ok on wet. expensive $1500 (tax incl)

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Any advise, please? I need to buy tires and can not find anything specific to non RFTs. My car seems is running with slick tires now as i have no more treadwear. </span>

Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

How about Toyo Tires? I heard they're good and have a pretty good treadwear too..
Old 06-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Members

You should go to www.tirerack.com, and ask one of guys there for advice. You'll save yourself a bunch of $$$$ as well.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I have mich. ps2 in the same size configuration that you have and i really love them. Quite grippy and they look good and dont have all junk on the sidw walls, as you stated though they are hella expensive but you get what you pay for well some times, NO BLUETOOTH, NAV RETRO, SIRRUS RETRO oopps off the subject mich are great on the e60.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 - 545 - tit silver/grey/sport/premsound/nav/cold weather pkg/ hardwire valetine/clear bra/4700k fog bulbs - acs fron and rear spoiler, r10's radenergies with michelin ps2 - 275/30 - 275/35 - aux audio, v 18.xx

I have PS'2s 245-35-r19 front - 285-230-r19 rears - love them - paid $1558 installed
Old 06-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

yes i hear the PS2s are the best but even $1500 that is a lot of dough specailly need to spend another $200 bucks in alignment.. anyone else have any experience with any other tire?

bturkel why you have a bigger size than recomended in the rear? 285-30-19 will be a bit higher in the ratio... do you any rear pictures and side pictures to share...?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Black leather, Sport Package, Premium Sound, 19x8.5" and 19x9.5" Work VS-XX rims, Eibach Pro Kit springs

It's funny this topic came up because I was in your exact same predicament this afternoon. Needed to buy tires for my 19x8.5 and 19x9.5's. Same sizes as well...245/35/19 and 275/30/19. After doing some research (Tirerack, Google, local Discount Tires Store), I ended up ordering the Michellin PS2's. Total with tax, install, balancing, AND road hazard insurance = $1675 out the door from Discount Tires. Never thought I'd be spending that much for rubber but like it was said before...you get what you pay for. I tried getting Continental SPS2 but the rears were nowhere to be found...apparently, there is a delay in production from Conti. As far as tire noise, the PS2's are supposed to be up there with the Conti and Pirelli Rosso. I figured the Pirelli (based on past experiences) were not worth the money considering how quickly they wear down. Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Senior Members

Thanks BullMkt! just right now with the driving I do (less than 4 miles a day) don't see why spend that kind of money. Before with my old E46M3, yes and my drive was more like 30 miles. Did you do alignment? Im starting to notice some more wear in the inside and its always recommended to do an aligment when you buy new tires. Well, i have the sport package with AS so that is another $200 if not more.
Just trying to get experiences of other fellow owners with other tires as I know the PS2s are the best...

Anyone esle with any experiences?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i
Thumbs up

bturkel why you have a bigger size than recomended in the rear? 285-30-19 will be a bit higher in the ratio... do you any rear pictures and side pictures to share...

I was wondering the same thing that would be a taller tyre right? And although i guess the car would calibrate the speedometer what would you gain with that tyre?

I just spoke to my tire guy last week about alignment he stated that i should get an alignment and it would cost around 150 dollars or more because they would have to reconfigure the rack and possibly will scratch the rims because of the width. He also stated that it maybe a problem because of the rim guard that is on the Michs. not that big but the postioning of it may have to let air out and do some tricks but can be done.

I would have to leave the car all day, or do you think i should hit the dealer up eventhough they said i don't need one?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

buddy, it is recommended to do an aligments at least once a year, specially for performance cars like ours. And basically tires will last you a year or so...sometimes things you don't notice as wearing too much in one side of the tire while the otherone is wearing in another side. Alignment sometimes does not mean the car needs to be pulling to one side...We drive daily and hit potholes, street bumps, tire wear, etc..all of that changes the alignemnt configurations with time.. Other things that may happened if you have a bad alignment besides eating the inside or out is developing little bumps in the tire tread, therefore making noise when driving...

Quick Reply: SO what is the best tire?