E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

And So It Has Begun...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And So It Has Begun...

Well, I have been comtemplating what I was going to do with my car when I got back from Afghanistan (still not back but soon!). My wife finally gave me the green light to start ordering stuff for my car, I didn't asked any questions, I just said "ok!" I now have a set of Dr Euro's DP coming and also a modmynav.com module with rear camera which will much likely beat me home, but that is perfect! I sent questions up to both OEM plus for the price on some 20" M6 wheels and to Umnitza for the bodykit. I so can't wait! I will update this thread with pics of course when I am physically on ground in the US and along my progress of dealing with shops for paint, installations, hagglings, etc. Sorry this is not more informative but stay tuned gents!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Chief, make sure you dry fit your front bumper before having it painted! It's possible that you will need to trim the L & R wing bracket receiver on the bumper. You will need to remove the two mounting brackets that are held in place with 8mm bolts, then you can to confirm proper engagement and trim the bumper side receiver. On my LCI there was a direct collision in the area. Next you have to trim the crash pads. You will see if there is a fitment problem and then just remove enough so the bumper clears them, or you can buy new ones if you like. Then one last check with the brackets on the car and bumper mounted. If you have it painted first then do this you chances of scratching the paint is very high. Most shops will not mess around with this trimming and then you could end up with some annoying gaps.
Rear bumper you need three brackets which are a little longer so that it mounts to the bumper wings and center rear area. You can use zip ties, but to each his own... Next is the most important, REMOVE YOUR TAIL LIGHTS! You can remove the bumper without the lights removed, the issue is that the inside corners will probably get damaged. Clearly during install you want them out.

Go grab you a few rocker panel clips from your dealer before you start. You will most likely break a few. There are two different clips i believe. Inner and the ones under the car. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:06 AM
Members

Wow, those are some great tips! Yep, I am now going to just take it to a paint shop and is have to deal with the stuff you mentioned. Any more?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Well the problem with a paint shop is they don't want to either. It's time and money...
Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 AM
Members

Ok, so far I have ordered a umnitza M5 front bumper with xenon fog lights, sides and the m tech rear bumper, a modmynav module with rear camera, 20" M6 replica wheel with Hankook tires, a jl 700/7 xd amp, and 1080 carbon fiber wrap. Hopefully all this stuff is sitting in the garage as soon as I get home!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport package, Sport transmission

When I installed my rear camera setup, I also ordered the front facing camera. I don't care about it for driving down the road or racing, but when I pull into parking spaces, I turn it on to watch the curb stops in the front of the space. I mounted my camera low in my bumper grille so that I could see the edge of the bumper and not mistakenly pull in too far. Saving my bumper from scrapes and tears made this the best money invested in my 550. (I later swapped for a M5, and transferred the cameras there, too).

Name:  IMAG0188_zps9e253a8b.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 08-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by qurtrn10
When I installed my rear camera setup, I also ordered the front facing camera. I don't care about it for driving down the road or racing, but when I pull into parking spaces, I turn it on to watch the curb stops in the front of the space. I mounted my camera low in my bumper grille so that I could see the edge of the bumper and not mistakenly pull in too far. Saving my bumper from scrapes and tears made this the best money invested in my 550. (I later swapped for a M5, and transferred the cameras there, too).

Thanks, I appreciate the advise. I normally back in to a spot and my wife drives her own car so I will probably wait for the front one!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Members

Update:

I finally got mine bodykit installed on the car! Had some issues, not with the car, but been moving around and couldn't sit down for five minutes to post some pics. I also have installed my 20" F10 M5 wheels and an ACS roof spoiler with trunk spoiler.
Attached Thumbnails And So It Has Begun...-image.jpg  
Old 10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Members

Some more pics
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Members

Of the rear