E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SMOKE COMING FROM MY TRUNK

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night I noticed the battery icon show up on my dash. This is the second time I have had my battery drain. So I hooked it up to a battery tender to charge the battery for an overnight trickle charger. One hour later I check my car and notice smoke coming from my trunk, I quickly remove the battery tender (charger) and it smelled like burnt plastic. I waited five mins looking to see if anything was burnt in my trunk and nothing everything looked fine. I then started my car and the navigation screen would not start up blank, nothing no radio or phone. I get a SOS with a phone and a slash through it on the errors on dash. I checked all the fuses that would have to do with the navigation screen and all of them were fine. I hoping it?s nothing major, I can?t afford to fix this right now. I think I?m still under the extended warranty, do any of you know would this issue be covered by extended warranty. I think because of the recent rains in CA maybe it shorted something out and it?s a simply fix under warranty or a cheap replacement past. Has this happened to anyone before if so what did you do? I live in west Los Angeles and I?m looking for a good place to take my car to have this problem resolved. Dealerships always want money to do testing to find out if it something they fix or not and I still have to pay $160.00 and that won?t solve my problem. Can anyone help because now my car is showing another error a red car with arrow and the car tilted, and my car seems to sway back and forth on turns its lose. I need help what should I do? Is this covered? What dealer should I go to in west Los Angeles? Thank you
Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i 6MT '04 Audi S4 6MT

Sounds like the MPM has shorted. Seems pretty common on these cars, especially if water gets into the trunk. Do a search on the forum for the MPM, it should help you figure out whats going on.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

If you have insufficient charge (discharged battery) your idrive will not turn on and also many systems in your car will be disabled.

I would use a JUMPER Cable, and power my battery to give the car a jump start and see how it goes.

Before doing all this, just make sure once again that there is nothing in the trunk u smell.

Could very possibly be a shorted MPM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

Sounds like the mpm, here's a link
https://5series.net/forums/topic/433...ule-mpm-blown/
Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

I don't know why this safety hazard has not been addressed by BMW as a recall. Maybe, until when people actually get hurt that things will be addressed. I hope your dealer takes care of this as a sign of good faith.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

PM replied Bro
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Members

THANK YOU for your help and support, i will let you know my outcome
Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Members

After reading pjinca response (thank you) I noticed a few water spots on the left side of my trunk. Is it common for E60 trunks to leak water? Because the rubber seals crack and easily get damage from the weather. Is there a solution to stop water from leaking in the trunk area? Also is there a link you can send me (anyone PLEASE) that has a diagram that shows the electrical in the trunk area because I would like to check out the MPM myself. Is this something (my problem read on parts, accessories and mods SMOKE TRUNK) that I can fix myself or I?m going to pjinca referred place. Thank you for yalls help and support because last night I was tripping (my car is my favorite toy).
Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by jscott301
After reading pjinca response (thank you) I noticed a few water spots on the left side of my trunk. Is it common for E60 trunks to leak water? Because the rubber seals crack and easily get damage from the weather. Is there a solution to stop water from leaking in the trunk area? Also is there a link you can send me (anyone PLEASE) that has a diagram that shows the electrical in the trunk area because I would like to check out the MPM myself. Is this something (my problem read on parts, accessories and mods SMOKE TRUNK) that I can fix myself or I?m going to pjinca referred place. Thank you for yalls help and support because last night I was tripping (my car is my favorite toy).
basically take out your spare tire and look underneath there to see if you have water. the mpm module is under the spare. also make sure there is no water around the battery compartment.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by turboawd
basically take out your spare tire and look underneath there to see if you have water. the mpm module is under the spare. also make sure there is no water around the battery compartment.
+1000 When looking at the spare tire well there is the foam above the spare, then the spare, then another piece of foam underneath. The MPM module is located under this second piece of foam (at least mine is), based on what I read here on the forum, that was the first thing I checked when my iDrive started acting up. Then I replaced the battery. Then a trip to the dealer who basically told me I was screwed.

It's not that water gets into the trunk easily, it's that the drains can become plugged and water fails to be properly drained and pools in the trunk. So if there is water in the battery box, spare tire well, or any other recessed part of the trunk then it may be covered under warranty since it was damaged by the drain. If not? Well, I already told you that alternative. Good luck and keep us updated

Quick Reply: SMOKE COMING FROM MY TRUNK