E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

smocked tail ligths

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by mporange
Have anyone done any tinting or similar to the headlight eyebrows ?
I haven't but would love to. I do not like how bright the eyebrow looks on my car against the black paint. Other than putting the film on the light and then carefully cutting at the eyebrow line I don't know how you would just tint the eyebrow. And I really dont' want to be using a knife on my headlights.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i, Black/Natural Brown, Sport, Nav, CWP

whats up man...if you are gonna do some tint film yourself, make sure to buy some extra material to practice first.... I just did this to my 535 this weekend (used RVinyl tint). I'm a 1st time installer, I have no prior experience in putting on any type of tint..... so, in conclusion....all you need is tint film, razor (or exacto knife, box cutter, etc.), and a heat gun (hair dryer), plus it would be good if you have application solution.... and a LOT OF PATIENCE. Anyway... I had 4 sheets of film total....1 for each taillight, plus + 2 extra for practice......the first film I worked with came out like butt (air bubbles, creasing of the film, all kinds of crazy stuff), however I felt more comfortable with application......then I wasted 2 more sheets because I overheated the film in certain spots and made holes...... however by then, I was playing with it for around 2 hours, so by now, with my last piece of film, I decided just to waste it for the purpose of practice...and guess what? it came out perfect....i can now order the film again (more likely will get a darker shade this time)...after I got done, I ripped it off, because i wasn't going to leave only one tinted taillight on the car....
so, hopefully this little essay will help you to prepare yourself for this, if this will be your first time installing it....the place i ordered the film from RVinyl has really nice instructional vidoes on their website...if you're interesed, you should check it.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530. Black on Black Black Grills Tint Ipod Retrofit June '10

Originally Posted by sportzfan76
Which shade of Laminix tint did you end up using ?

got any pics of the finished project ?
I don't have any pics, but can have some tomorrow. I went with smoke on the tails, as well as the front lights.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Members

My Ride: bullshit
Model Year: 2010

These are mine.

Lamin x. Light smoke.

Indoor light.

Daylight

Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Alpine white Premium PKG -Two tone cream/beige Dakota leather seat trim -Universal garage door opener -Auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors -Auto-dimming rearview mirror -Illum inner door handles -Illum door storage bins -Front footwell lighting -Rear entry/exit lighting -Additional trunk lighting -LED exterior ground lighting -High Definition Radio -Heated Front Seats DVD-Based Navigation System -Controller w/voice command system -Expanded iDrive system -Real time traffic info

Check out this post I put up. Can't go wrong with my buddy. He's already sold some to members on this forum and they loved his work.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/120...9#entry1417419
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

Here's a pic halfway threw my install so you can see the effect of the tint film
smocked tail ligths-photo11.jpg