E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

sirius s50 - "portable" satellite radio player...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

SIRIUS S50
Model#: S50-TK1
Experience the cutting edge of portable satellite radio with the most compact and versatile receiver available. Pause and rewind live broadcasts and store up to 50 hours of content.
anyone considering picking up one of these or better yet does anyone have this already?

i like it (considering either this or a new ipod) but dunno if its worth it:

- live satellite feed is not portable (you can save and playback)
- only 1 G of space (~ 50hrs, actual usage is less)
- over $250 (thats ipod range)

here's the actual link:
http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/Ex...=7870&scId=7874

or just click here:
sirius.com
Old 12-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Members

I've ordered the Sirius S50 already. It's expected in next week. I plan to have it professionally installed to properly conceal the power cord and to not F-up my interior. I am still pondering the ideal position on the dash for this unit - from what I can surmise, with the dock, it measures - 2"W x approx 6" H. Possible locations include left of the steering wheel or just to the left of the driver's cupholder. Any suggestions would be welcome. I will be sure to post pistures once the install is done.

I have an ipod already and use the monster cable fm adapter to listen throught the radio. This is a suitable soloution. I have not been a big fan of building playlists on my ipod and leave it on random all the time. Despite having 3,000 songs and counting on my ipod - I am getting bored. I wanted Sirius in my car because I like to stay on top of what's happening in the music scene and, let's face it, this is the way to do it commercial free. I chose the S50 for it's asthetics more than it's portability. This is a great looking unit! The recording function is also a plus although it appears that RIAA has stepped in and limited what can be recorded to protect copyrights. So the recording function is said to be limited to single songs as opposed to recording entire blocks of music. These are the growing pains encountered when old meets new. We will have to persevere....
Old 12-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Contributors

I own one and love it. We are the exclusive distributors of this product and I have had one for over 3 weeks now. So far I love it. The "love" button is a single press to record a song you are listening to. Very easy to build a good collection of songs right off the radio.

Hope you will try it. It is a great product.

I work for Directed. www.directed.com

cheers,

mark
Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by 12vguy' post='210975' date='Dec 14 2005, 12:46 AM
I The "love" button is a single press to record a song you are listening to. Very easy to build a good collection of songs right off the radio.
Can you record the entire song, and only that song?

For example, if I just started listening and a song I like has already played halfway through and I press record, can it record the whole song from the beginning? And stop recording automatically when the song ends? (i.e. no talk after the song)
Old 12-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='211160
I The "love" button is a single press to record a song you are listening to. Very easy to build a good collection of songs right off the radio.
Can you record the entire song, and only that song?

For example, if I just started listening and a song I like has already played halfway through and I press record, can it record the whole song from the beginning? And stop recording automatically when the song ends? (i.e. no talk after the song)
[/quote]

If you changed to the station from another station in the middle of the song, you cannot get the whole song. However, if you decide at the very end of a song to save it, it will save all of it. Also, the device will automatically record everything you listen to in big block. You can then go back later and save songs from the blocks into your personal space. Pretty cool device overall!!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Are the Sirius songs recorded as mp3 format?

Can you control the bitrate/quality and therefore the MB size that the recordings takes up?

Artist/Title names saved automatically?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='211668' date='Dec 15 2005, 11:16 AM
Are the Sirius songs recorded as mp3 format?

Can you control the bitrate/quality and therefore the MB size that the recordings takes up?

Artist/Title names saved automatically?
Due to DRM issus, the content recorded from Sirius is in proprietary format that cannot be used outside of the S50 itself.
Artist and song titles are captured automatically.

Merry Christmas...
Old 12-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

will the S50 be usable say, at the office, where i dont have a direct path to the sky since, you know, they put up a ceiling and all . i'd like to be able to listen to live feeds while at work.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Members

Here it is - loving it. Haven't seen my ipod in 2 weeks...
Attached Thumbnails sirius s50 - "portable" satellite radio player...-photo_010206_002.jpg  
Old 01-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

With regard to the "love button"...

It's common knowledge that males have trouble finding such things -- let alone operating them properly. Hopefully, the S50 comes with explicit instructions on how to operate such a complicated piece of machinery!

Quick Reply: sirius s50 - "portable" satellite radio player...