E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sirius Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the revival of a select few channels on Sirius after the merger, my station titles have not updated to reflect the new station names. More specifically, I added channel 39, Backspin, on my presets after it was revived post-merger. However, the name of the station remains Pop2K on my radio. Is there a procedure to force an update of the station names or is this as complex as a software update. TIA.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 SMG Interlagos Blue Silverstone II Full Merino Perforated w/ Individual Piano Black Trim All options except for fold down rear seats 1330 miles 02/12/10 2008 E92 DCT M3 Arctic White Silver Novillo Extended w/ Carbon Fiber Trim Pretty much all options 10k miles 09/09 135 E82 Black Sapphire Metallic Coral Red w/ Gloss Black Trim Pretty much all options 7k miles 09/09

I assume you are speaking about your presets?
If so delete the station from your 12-station preset list. Then go back through "Categories," find the station you want, and then add it where you want (back in the spot where the old station was).
Early on there seemed to be some sort of lag/legacy/retention issue. This above process was the way I "updated/corrected" a couple of my stations.

Shouldn't be any problem, if I am understanding your post correctly.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='789109' date='Feb 9 2009, 11:22 PM
With the revival of a select few channels on Sirius after the merger, my station titles have not updated to reflect the new station names. More specifically, I added channel 39, Backspin, on my presets after it was revived post-merger. However, the name of the station remains Pop2K on my radio. Is there a procedure to force an update of the station names or is this as complex as a software update. TIA.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

no that wont do it.. i have the same problem.. its just what sirius is calling the station.. i have pop2k too and i hate it!(being called that i mean) since the merger it just hasnt been the same.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 SMG Interlagos Blue Silverstone II Full Merino Perforated w/ Individual Piano Black Trim All options except for fold down rear seats 1330 miles 02/12/10 2008 E92 DCT M3 Arctic White Silver Novillo Extended w/ Carbon Fiber Trim Pretty much all options 10k miles 09/09 135 E82 Black Sapphire Metallic Coral Red w/ Gloss Black Trim Pretty much all options 7k miles 09/09

Looks like I didn't understand correctly ...
The question may not have been about the name update process in the Playlist. (?)
If the question is "can I manually change the name on my BMW radio?" the answer is "No."
- the display name comes from the provider (Sirius) and is not user-programmable.
- there is no BMW "software update" or any other receiver-based capability to change channel names.

So why is this happening? Here we go ...

"Backspin" was the previous name of Channel 39, until mid-November, 2008. (I used to have it on my Playlist.)
At that time it was renamed "Pop2k." There were some music lineup reprogramming.

As of January 15 Sirius restored "Backspin" to Channel 39. There was a formal name change in the Sirius lineup. Again, there were some associated music reprogramming.
BUT - the displayed name has remained "Pop2k." Sirius is aware of this - the channel label in the digital lineup information data has not been formally "changed.

(The above channel name vs. display information is from my experiences and in conversations with Sirius. It also explains the subtle shift in programming from the "old" Backspin to the "new" Backspin.)

Regarding the question about "a procedure to force an update of the station names" this is on the company's website:
"Please note that when you turn on your radio for the first time on or after November 12, it may need 2 - 5 minutes to receive the update from our satellites. During this time, the audio you hear may not match what is shown on your display and you may see messages such as "updating channels." While the radio updates, please do not change channels as this will delay the update."
That process does work. But again - the name being sent to our receivers right now is "Pop2k."

Now I'm gonna go do something more straightforward, like quantum physics ...

Originally Posted by melimel' post='789292' date='Feb 10 2009, 07:57 AM
no that wont do it.. i have the same problem.. its just what sirius is calling the station.. i have pop2k too and i hate it!(being called that i mean) since the merger it just hasnt been the same.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by hlmiii' post='789353' date='Feb 10 2009, 10:34 AM
Looks like I didn't understand correctly ...
"Backspin" was the previous name of Channel 39, until mid-November, 2008. (I used to have it on my Playlist.)
At that time it was renamed "Pop2k." There were some music lineup reprogramming.
backspin was channel 43 before they originally dropped it. If I hadn't still been on my free year of subscription, I would have dropped Sirius immediately at that point. Luckily for them they brought it back before my subscription was up for renewal.

The same thing is happening with Strobe (was that crappy CineMagic).

The only thing I can think of (and haven't tried) is re-sending the activation signal from the Sirius website.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Members

More weirdness ... the Channel Lineup list in my 545 shows it as Ch. 39. That's my memory (open to debate) and also what Sirius has said, reported in several lineups and news releases on their website. Wonder how is showed up as 43 on some receivers? - ha -

I don't think re-sending a signal would help. The (superseded) channel name of "Pop2k" is still the name of record in the information being broadcast, according to the company. It is also still listed as apparently active on the website - although it shows only 12 hours of programming a day. Yes ... on Channel 39!

And this time I am going away ...

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='789355' date='Feb 10 2009, 09:40 AM
backspin was channel 43 before they originally dropped it. If I hadn't still been on my free year of subscription, I would have dropped Sirius immediately at that point. Luckily for them they brought it back before my subscription was up for renewal.

The same thing is happening with Strobe (was that crappy CineMagic).

The only thing I can think of (and haven't tried) is re-sending the activation signal from the Sirius website.